Need advice fighting tow company

phil

I work in a permit only parking lot. I walk out to go to lunch and my car is gone. Then I call the towing company (shamrock) and they are like yeah we have your car. We didn't see a permit til we got it back here. It's 143$ to get it out. Ummmm excuse me bitch, you just stole my fucking car, why would I pay u? Get fucking real. Is there anything I can do I get my car without paying this fee or am I fucked ?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, Phil, they acknowledged that you have a valid permit to be in the parking lot, and then continued to assert that you must pay them to have your vehicle released? This sounds ridiculous. Did they give you a specific rationale for their lunacy? For instance, was your permit not properly displayed?

Wait, Phil, they acknowledged that you have a valid permit to be in the parking lot, and then continued to assert that you must pay them to have your vehicle released? This sounds ridiculous. Did they give you a specific rationale for their lunacy? For instance, was your permit not properly displayed?

"the driver didn't see it, so I need to pay for the tow" word for word...

"the driver didn't see it, so I need to pay for the tow" word for word...

Where is the permit in the car? Is the car locked or could they get the permit out? id call the police, report stolen and tell them who has it. cops go and see permit hanging from mirrow or in window, cops should make them release the car and possibly face theft charges.

Where is the permit in the car? Is the car locked or could they get the permit out? id call the police, report stolen and tell them who has it. cops go and see permit hanging from mirrow or in window, cops should make them release the car and possibly face theft charges.

it was on the dash tucked in the corner. ive never had an issue with it before. the car is locked. its clearly visbile as she walked outside and said she saw it. but the car was towed and i have to pay for the tow.

it was on the dash tucked in the corner. ive never had an issue with it before. the car is locked. its clearly visbile as she walked outside and said she saw it. but the car was towed and i have to pay for the tow.

Dude, call the police. Seriously. If the permit is still inside the vehicle when they get there you're golden.

Trust me, I'm an expert on this stuff. I watch a lot of cops.

If the permit was where it should have been - and therefore should have been visible to the tow truck operator - then, if it were me, then I'd call the police on their non-emergency line (614.645.4545) and explain the situation and see what they have to say. If the permit wasn't where it should have been - like laying in the front seat on in your console or something, then the towing company could assert that's the reason why they didn't see it (and therefore make your claim less substantial).

So, was the permit where it as supposed to be?

If the permit was where it should have been - and therefore should have been visible to the tow truck operator - then, if it were me, then I'd call the police on their non-emergency line (614.645.4545) and explain the situation and see what they have to say. If the permit wasn't where it should have been - like laying in the front seat on in your console or something, then the towing company could assert that's the reason why they didn't see it (and therefore make your claim less substantial).

So, was the permit where it as supposed to be?

Does the permit have a location stated on it (or in company handbook) where it must be placed?

Does the permit have a location stated on it (or in company handbook) where it must be placed?

idk, i put it on the review mirror but broke it one day and told security that it was sitting on the dash and security said no biggie. well then i talked to security today and they were like " well we dont have anything to do with parking lot towing at all"..... so im told one thing but they dont have any control over the situation, but if you can see that the permit then you can see the car is there in good standings.

I had problems with a towing company when I lived off little turtle. Tried to tow my truck because I had a flat tire. (the tire was flat in my own parking spot and had been flat for less then 2 hours)

I almost got arrested for threatening to burn there office to the ground.

Good luck I hope you dont get the typical "its a civil matter" from the police department.

If it were me, then when I called police I'd just try to make it sound like a simple misunderstanding (e.g., "Hey, they accidentally towed my vehicle - can I just have an officer meet me there for a second to help me get my car back? I don't want any trouble with the tow truck company"). Make it easier for the police to get involved (versus sounding all litigious on the phone and making it easier for them to be like, "Sorry, not our problem, call your attorney").

If you get no where with the police...

Call them back, ask for manager (and keep for asking to talk to manager until you get the answer you want), especially if they they said it was in the car, tell them you will sue. Especially if they already have a class action law suit... I imagine they will give the car back then...

If it were me, then when I called police I'd just try to make it sound like a simple misunderstanding (e.g., "Hey, they accidentally towed my vehicle - can I just have an officer meet me there for a second to help me get my car back? I don't want any trouble with the tow truck company"). Make it easier for the police to get involved (versus sounding all litigious on the phone and making it easier for them to be like, "Sorry, not our problem, call your attorney").

This is the mind of a smart man working. Act as if you feel threatened and would like someone to "protect" you when you go to pick up the car.

From experience the above statement will work much better then threatening to burn there building down.

THIS... if you call the police and act mad/tough/aggressive... they will be less likely to help you.