Crap Haven Resort - Our honeymoon experience

Erica

As many of you know, Sean and I got married this past weekend. (Yup, I'm now Mrs. Butt!!) After the craziness that is wedding planning and the busy day we were excited to head out to the Pocono Mountains the next day on our honeymoon. After an 8.5 hour drive through rain and the crappy drivers of PA we made it to Cove Haven Resort a little past 8 in the evening. Keep in mind we were paying $385 a NIGHT for this place. It was supposed to be all inclusive to include breakfast and dinner. Which we found out on Sunday when we checked in was only from 6p-8p so we had to eat the crappy food from the cafe.

Upon arrival of course we were both super tired and just wanted to get into our room for the night. The welcome center was lovely and gave a warm welcome and congratulated us on our marriage. We set off to see our room and ended up down a service road with a dead end (they gave us wonderful directions). After backing up the service road in the dark and on the side of a hill we went back up the hill and found our room. It was in a row of motel like rooms with water pouring off the roof onto the sidewalk. We couldn’t tell at night but the paint was peeling off of the buildings and none of them had windows overlooking anything. So, once we find our room number we open the door to find...

Stated as facts:

1. No lights on in the room

2. Entered time machine back to 1974

3. Room smelled like smoke (was supposed to be non-smoking)

4. Tube TV with VHS!

5. Couch with stains EVERYWHERE!

6. Cigarette burns on the bed (It also had mirrored walls that where peeling at the bottom)

7. Wall paper coming off of the walls in the bathroom

8. Toilet with no back (Rest stop foot flusher)

9. Pool with cover on and one light working in the room

10. Sean went to turn on a lamp and stuck his hand in a cobweb

11. Dust EVERYWHERE!!!!!

12. Window AC unit that was loud as heck

13. Roof on one of the cabins was totally collapsed in on itself!

Needless to say we headed right back down to the front desk to say that we were leaving in the AM. Front desk guy went to immediate defense and then offered us a Champagne tower room for our trouble. We declined and told him that after a long ass drive their first chance was the last.

In the morning after we packed up and Sean attempted to use $400 worth of hot water we proceeded down to get breakfast. We couldn’t find the place to eat and no one was around for us to even ask so we hiked back up to finish loading the car. We checked out and headed to Hershey, Pa. Which later turned out to be no as expected for now we are home!

Here are some other reviews...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52965-d102226-Reviews-Cove_Haven_Resort-Lakeville_Pocono_Mountains_Region_Pennsylvania.html

Here is how the resort advertises...

Notice there are No pictures from outside of what the resort looks like.

http://www.covepoconoresorts.com/

So, we will NEVER go back to that place. We drove a total of 17 hours in two days and are now back in Ohio! THanks Cove Haven for a awesome car ride!

END RANT

That sucks. Reminds me of a random trip we took to PA. First stop was 9/11 memorial and we stayed in that town. Stayed at a bed and breakfast that the rooms were 50* or colder. (was in the teens outside). We told them we were leaving the following morning and they made us pay for half our reservation.

Then we went to Hershey. Which we actually enjoyed. The tours and such were actually fun.

Sorry your honeymoon sucked. Glad your wedding went well. Sounds about like my wedding night, got up and went to work on monday so at least you got to try and have a honeymoon. Could be worse. I'm sure you guys will get to something a lot more memorable soon.

Fukkin lolll. Dude we went to the poconos when I was like 10, with my family. Same shit there even back then. Notes from the experience:

Shithole lodging

Smelly place

Nothing to do in the region

Japanese print 70's wallpaper

Shithole lodging

Nothing to do in the region

Even if you were low on cash, should have saved up for an all inclusive closer to the equator. You can get some sick deals on the cheap down in mexico, DR, jamaica, etc....

Congrats on your wedding!

What the hell were you thinking honeymooning in PA? You just asking for it IMHO.

+1 that was very democrat of you to go to PA. I only go to PA on business but when I'm there I stay in Harrisburg, roll out in the baddest ass rental car I can find, get as fukked up as humanly possible. All within the govt perdiem rate of course.

:gabe:

We are not really beach people. That's why we decided on PA. We like to hike and do stuff outside. We absolutly could have gone to an all inclusive place in Mexico for what we were going to pay at the dump. We are already planning our one year to a NICE place, haha! UGGGGG! Oh well, we get to spend time together and that's what is important!

Was this you guys?

Where do I start? It was my honeymoon. My wife (then fiancee) was so excited we had found an all inclusive resort out of town and within driving distance. The pictures are most certainly deceiving for today - perhaps this was what it was in the hay day.

Check-in was smooth (arrived about 8pm in the evening). Lady was very friendly but couldn't answer questions about a New York trip which was supposed to be on offer. At check-in, we were told that we had to pay for "fire-logs" to use the fire place in the room. $13.00! I mean I only just paid north of $400/night for the room. Oh well, guess no fireplace!

Upon arriving the building, it was perched high up - good sign right? Not! It seems as though there was some construction/landscaping work going on. No biggie. We checked into champagne tower room 724.

Taa daa ... not quite as captivating! The room is not a true 4 story! The living room area was dated. The stars in the ceiling (or I think that was the idea) was cheesy at best. The private pool was okay and the sonar/massage area was decent. Upstairs to the bedroom and the bed was somewhat hard just sitting on it. Mirrors on the ceiling - big no no (for my tastes at least). Counter tops and lamp shades super dusty as though the room had not been used in a few weeks. Bathroom glass chipping on the back side (definite sign of aging), champagne hot tub was stained and shower was stained (water leak stains). We knew the dated entrance signs to the resort was a sign, but we chose to ignore and believe what we wanted - that there was more on offer.

We called the front desk looking for another room (perhaps we just got a bad room). We were told they were sold out. We returned to the front desk asking for a refund looking to leave the resort. Again taadaa - room now available! At this point, this is now truly an integrity issue with this establishment and we just wanted to leave. We were told that the refund was immediate and we left for Scranton PA to find a decent hotel to spend our honey.

You would think that was that! Wrong. Accounting department lady did try to help, but it took 5 days of continuously calling my bank and cove haven to finally get my refund (less the initial $100 deposit). Thank God we did have available monies to enjoy our honeymoon making alternate plans.

Would I recommend this place - ABSOLUTELY NOT! Do yourself a favor and find a nice hotel to stay at planning your trip by yourself. It'll be more satisfying than this resort!

Was this you guys?

Where do I start? It was my honeymoon. My wife (then fiancee) was so excited we had found an all inclusive resort out of town and within driving distance. The pictures are most certainly deceiving for today - perhaps this was what it was in the hay day.

Check-in was smooth (arrived about 8pm in the evening). Lady was very friendly but couldn't answer questions about a New York trip which was supposed to be on offer. At check-in, we were told that we had to pay for "fire-logs" to use the fire place in the room. $13.00! I mean I only just paid north of $400/night for the room. Oh well, guess no fireplace!

Upon arriving the building, it was perched high up - good sign right? Not! It seems as though there was some construction/landscaping work going on. No biggie. We checked into champagne tower room 724.

Taa daa ... not quite as captivating! The room is not a true 4 story! The living room area was dated. The stars in the ceiling (or I think that was the idea) was cheesy at best. The private pool was okay and the sonar/massage area was decent. Upstairs to the bedroom and the bed was somewhat hard just sitting on it. Mirrors on the ceiling - big no no (for my tastes at least). Counter tops and lamp shades super dusty as though the room had not been used in a few weeks. Bathroom glass chipping on the back side (definite sign of aging), champagne hot tub was stained and shower was stained (water leak stains). We knew the dated entrance signs to the resort was a sign, but we chose to ignore and believe what we wanted - that there was more on offer.

We called the front desk looking for another room (perhaps we just got a bad room). We were told they were sold out. We returned to the front desk asking for a refund looking to leave the resort. Again taadaa - room now available! At this point, this is now truly an integrity issue with this establishment and we just wanted to leave. We were told that the refund was immediate and we left for Scranton PA to find a decent hotel to spend our honey.

You would think that was that! Wrong. Accounting department lady did try to help, but it took 5 days of continuously calling my bank and cove haven to finally get my refund (less the initial $100 deposit). Thank God we did have available monies to enjoy our honeymoon making alternate plans.

Would I recommend this place - ABSOLUTELY NOT! Do yourself a favor and find a nice hotel to stay at planning your trip by yourself. It'll be more satisfying than this resort!

No it wasn't lol. I read that one yesterday as well AND asked Erica if she wrote it. Here was the deal, there were also 200+ excellent reviews, as well as a personal review from another CR member here. It seems as if SOME of the rooms there are really nice. If you read one of the latest "excellent" reviews you will see that they included their personal photos. The quality of the room in their photos looks NOTHING like what our room was like. It seems like total hit or miss, hence why we "took the risk" and went.

I feel bad for the company really, they COULD have something going, but it seems as if they can only afford to keep a handful of the rooms really nice, and the rest of them go to shit which ruins the experience for some, and leaves a great one for others.