F Body Folks Chime in.....

TurboNova

I know I know, we dont need another fbody here on the forum but I found a very clean (by pics) 4th gen trans am. Its a 100% bone stock A4 car. the car has just a touch over 100,000 miles and by talking to the owner, it has no issues.

Now I know a little about the LS platform but not alot about Fbody stuff. What should I be looking at for common stuff on Fbodies around the 100k mark. Ill bring my scanner and check for faults and do the typical look over. Just was not sure if there are some real important stuff to check that typically needs attention.

Its going to be a bone stock driver :D

What year? Carb/qjet/tpi??? All things that need to be listed if you want to verify wht to look for since they put about 10 different motors in them.

Somehow I put 3rd gen...lol. Its an ls car....1999

edited my jackhole initial post to reflect that

Well noises and such should be pretty obvious, your typical gear whine, fluid leaks, poor fitting t-tops and signs of leaks (assuming its a t-top car), melted front marker lights, poor operating headlight motors with stripped teeth on the plastic gear that operates them, and I'm sure you can handle most of the basic mechanical checks. If I can think of anything else I'll post it. Get the VIN and I'll check its history from GM.

Also inspect the seams inside the hatch where the quater panels attach to the unibody, those were known to seperate on some cars.

The suspension is different on the ws6 models. I think the wheels say ws6 too. Emblems are cheap so may check to see how to verify if that's an issue. Also check the door panels. 4th gen door panels notoriously crack and are not cheap to replace. Happy hunting

The suspension is different on the ws6 models. I think the wheels say ws6 too. Emblems are cheap so may check to see how to verify if that's an issue. Also check the door panels. 4th gen door panels notoriously crack and are not cheap to replace. Happy hunting

Enlighten me as to how it's different? Unless it has upgraded SLP stuff, WS6 cars are no different.

Mine is an 89 but it is my understanding the shocks are stiffer and the sway bars are thicker. The ws6 has always been an upgraded suspension package available on the camaros and trans am. From what I have heard the emblems get stuck on a lot of non-ws6 cars. There may be more depending on year. I'm sure it's on some 4th gen forum.

I really want a red or dark blue 01 or 02 formula ws6 ram air with a 6 speed but they are super rare.

Mine is an 89 but it is my understanding the shocks are stiffer and the sway bars are thicker. The ws6 has always been an upgraded suspension package available on the camaros and trans am. From what I have heard the emblems get stuck on a lot of non-ws6 cars. There may be more depending on year. I'm sure it's on some 4th gen forum.

I really want a red or dark blue 01 or 02 formula ws6 ram air with a 6 speed but they are super rare.

:lolguy:

Ram Air Performance and Handling Package - includes specific low restriction dual exhaust system, Ram Air induction system, functional hood scoops, 325 hp, 5.7L LS1 V8, P275/40ZR17 performance tires (maximum speed rating), 17" high-polished aluminum wheels, specific front and rear suspension with higher front and rear spring rates, unique shock valving, stiffer Panhard bushings and 3.23:1 rear axle ratio with automatic transmission; includes 3.42:1 rear axle with 6-speed manual transmission

The 1998-1999 and some 2000 WS6's got 1LE springs and other minor 1le parts, different decarbon shocks, ect. Nothing major, but it was more than the simple swaybar upgrades of the mid 2000-2002 cars got.

Meh, if the shocks and springs were different its news to me, having driven different cars I can't tell a difference. The WS6 Ram Air package was mostly appearance, having seen both the Trans Am and WS6 on the dyno they put down about the same power too, you mean to tell me that the 305 and 320 hp ratings are accurate?

Meh, if the shocks and springs were different its news to me, having driven different cars I can't tell a difference. The WS6 Ram Air package was mostly appearance, having seen both the Trans Am and WS6 on the dyno they put down about te same power too, you mean to tell me that the 305 and 320 hp ratings are accurate?

Mine was 325hp factory (bhp). Based on what I have seen with some factory freaks some would be higher... and some lower. I dont remember my baseline, but I'm sure it was like 287 or something. As far as suspension its stiffer springs and lower to the ground. It handles better but its not like it made it a corvette. I drive in straight lines so I dont even know :lol:

Not arguing accuracy or what the package involved. The OP asked for stuff to check or watch out for. Just saying I've seen fakes. Nobody wants to pay extra for an option not on the car.

off topic, on Brice road I always see this yellow 93-94 camaro V6 convertible with SS badges on the fenders and rear panel, poor soul driving it probably thinks its the real deal :lolguy:

Meh, if the shocks and springs were different its news to me, having driven different cars I can't tell a difference. The WS6 Ram Air package was mostly appearance, having seen both the Trans Am and WS6 on the dyno they put down about the same power too, you mean to tell me that the 305 and 320 hp ratings are accurate?

nope not at all. i watched a video the other day from like motortrend or something when the 98's first came out. cant remember what they said it put down, but said it was like 340 at the crank.

off topic, on Brice road I always see this yellow 93-94 camaro V6 convertible with SS badges on the fenders and rear panel, poor soul driving it probably thinks its the real deal :lolguy:

i dont think so, ive tried to mess with him before and he wont do it lol

Well damn, im starting to think im going about modding cars the wrong way. This guy and some kid that runs around main st in reynoldsburg in a red v6 99-04 mustang both went with upgraded badging (ss badges on camaro and cobra bumbers and badges on stang) and their cars are appearantely quick as shit lol. Guess i just need a ws6 hood and wing.

To the OP, pretty much what scott said. Those t tops love to leak.