Build a $20K track car...

Draco-REX

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cars without roofs = death trap. Miata is a great platform as they are light (sub 2300 pounds), tons of parts available for cheap and low compression engines that love boost. Buy a stock turbo and run E85 and you can get 250 WHP without touching the bottom end. If you are a decent driver and have a 250 whp miata not many cars unless the are radical builds will be passing you. Cars are safe also as they have full roof.

My .02 would be despite wanting something different, different = unproven and underdeveloped which will lead to you working on the car all of the time instead of working on your driving.

The exception to this would be an already built and developed current track car like Tinman's RX-7.

I started off on bikes and chose something boring and reliable. Same with cars, my M3 was about as standard issue as it gets, only adjustable parts on the car was front sway and camber plates which meant I didn't tinker just drove and learned. That car never broke on me and that was driving too and from the track in it. Same with the GT3. Granted its not cheap but other than a coolant fitting all I do is get in and drive while I'm at the track.

All too often I see guys who have REALLY fast track cars who are always working on them, breaking them, fiddling with stuff on the car and going slow on the track because there is no reliability in platform leading to very little track time and no consistency to learn with.

My .02 would be despite wanting something different, different = unproven and underdeveloped which will lead to you working on the car all of the time instead of working on your driving.

The exception to this would be an already built and developed current track car like Tinman's RX-7.

I started off on bikes and chose something boring and reliable. Same with cars, my M3 was about as standard issue as it gets, only adjustable parts on the car was front sway and camber plates which meant I didn't tinker just drove and learned. That car never broke on me and that was driving too and from the track in it. Same with the GT3. Granted its not cheap but other than a coolant fitting all I do is get in and drive while I'm at the track.

All too often I see guys who have REALLY fast track cars who are always working on them, breaking them, fiddling with stuff on the car and going slow on the track because there is no reliability in platform leading to very little track time and no consistency to learn with.

One side of me wants to do this. Another side wants to build something.

D_sports racer

DSRs are cool looking, but impossible to make street legal. It's one thing to take a car that's titled, since street legality is assumed. But to take a racer that was never meant to be titled for street use and make it pass inspection is nigh impossible. For one, the headlights would never meet minimum height requirements.

But yeah, a DSR would be a cool ride. I'd just have to worry about SUV drivers using me for a speed bump.

Do you realize that all the "ordinary" cars you're trying to avoid are common because they work and are easy to find parts for? If it were a car that you're planning to beat on regularly, I'd want to make sure that parts are readily available and not insanely priced. Being different and unique is cool, but there are major drawbacks to it.

very true

and not going for an already built car is a very fucking stupid exclusion on your list, Draco

not only is it cheaper, it's less hassle