Build a $20K track car...

Draco-REX

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you spent much time around 'track days', NASA or SCCA?

If not, I suggest you take the BRZ and do as many HPDE, eventually TT events, and maybe try to get your comp license next year. That will put you in a much better position to understand the in's and out's of open wheel racing.

I'm guessing not very many other people in the thread have either with suggesting relatively expensive builds.

Just meeting FIA specs will be most of that budget I bet. I do see a bunch of 944's searching both events.

This guy has some idea of the real cost of racing.

Yes, there is a reason you see 10 of the same car, especially at these track days. Not only are they common and easy to get parts for but they are easier to make a competitive car for a given set of class rules. You also don't see very many engine swapped cars and that's probably for a very good reason too. Matt's RX7 is the only car that comes to mind.

If $20k is your car build, you better plan on spending a lot more on racing in general. When they say the car is just the cost of entry, they aren't joking. You can have someone wreck into you and it's 100% not your fault, but YOU eat the cost of the car. There is also the cost of entry fees, travel, towing rig, when shit breaks. Someone I know was wrecked into. He and a bunch of friends 'built' a new car from another chassis and swapped parts. IIRC it cost $10k to rebuild a NEON even with no labor cost and many swapped parts. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people scrambling for some mundane part on a car/engines that there were Millions made of only to get it from far away at the last minute. You go with an uncommon car and your expensive and time consuming race weekend is done, as is your points for that event.

A fully prepped track race car and street legal are mutually exclusive. Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know if you've spent time around track days, but me thinking you are saying race car and street legal made me think you hadn't.

You can probably do time trials and be ok with a semi 'street legal' car, but not full open track wheel-to-wheel competitive racing.

Speaking of Matt's (Tinnmans) RX7, that is probably one of the cheapest and easiest ways to get a car, BUY ONE. Matt's is unique as far as the swap too. Though I have no idea if he sold it yet or not. Just an example http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98110

EDIT: Good article to read through. http://www.speedsportlife.com/2009/03/27/avoidable-contact-25-exploring-the-pyramid-of-speed-the-real-costs-and-stories-behind-entry-level-sedan-racing/

Edited by Trouble Maker

In order to track race you will want something reliable with 'cheap' replacement parts/maintenance items. I've always loved E30 projects, and the Merc 190E is another possibility, although finding stock replacement parts (like rear diffs) could be troublesome.

The other thought, which I always seem to suggest to people, is a Pontiac Solstice. You can pick up the 2.4L's for a decent price and either turbo the 2.4 or swap to an LSx pretty easily. Swap to the GXP front bumper for brake cooling, add the Cobalt SS Brembo brakes, and get the aftermarket coupe hardtop so you can build a full cage inside and drop the convertible top weight.

Well, this is assuming that he would be paying his payment each month, so until the moment he would purchase the new car, it doesn't matter how much it cost new, only what he "owes" on it at that time...

Just a thought.

Please explain how "show me what car I can build for 20k total" starts with a platform that costs 25k...?

818-R

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l619/xabier-albizu/Sideview-racing.jpg

Too bad it won't look quite as good.

Cobra kit car..13k... You might have to settle for a ls1 depending on how cheap you can get the drivetrain

If I'm building a kit, it might as well be the 818. It's lighter by about 400lbs, and I'm more familar with the drivetrain.

I have done the HPDE with NASA the past 4 years and per weekend at Mid Ohio I spend:

$400 entry fee

$100 worth of tire wear

$150 in gas

$100 worth of brakes

$40 in oil

$50 in food

I drive my car there, camp, and drive my car home for $800+ a weekend and I am NOT even wheel to wheel racing or staying at hotel/motel.

I have thought about spec miata, you can get them for sale for $8k. Then you need a tow vehicle and a trailer and entry fees.

Don't go exotic, my MR2 is different, but not exotic and I have many issues at the track:

no extra parts, when I do go to Toyota, it is 2 days to order

No one has advice to help set up a mid engine car or how to drive it

Turbos are PITA, hose blow off, heat soak, lag mid corner

Doesn't fit into a race class competitively.

While my friends M3 runs perfect, easy to drive, and he can ask for advice and people have spare parts if he needs.

Take your BRZ to some HPDE events at Mid Ohio, close, cheap, and you get an instructor. Then get your competition license in a year or two. HPDE is a lot of fun with little risk.

Geico even insurances you at HPDE events.

Do you realize that all the "ordinary" cars you're trying to avoid are common because they work and are easy to find parts for? If it were a car that you're planning to beat on regularly, I'd want to make sure that parts are readily available and not insanely priced. Being different and unique is cool, but there are major drawbacks to it.

THIS

Have you spent much time around 'track days', NASA or SCCA?

If not, I suggest you take the BRZ and do as many HPDE, eventually TT events, and maybe try to get your comp license next year. That will put you in a much better position to understand the in's and out's of open wheel racing.

I'm guessing not very many other people in the thread have either with suggesting relatively expensive builds.

This guy has some idea of the real cost of racing.

Yes, there is a reason you see 10 of the same car, especially at these track days. Not only are they common and easy to get parts for but they are easier to make a competitive car for a given set of class rules. You also don't see very many engine swapped cars and that's probably for a very good reason too. Matt's RX7 is the only car that comes to mind.

If $20k is your car build, you better plan on spending a lot more on racing in general. When they say the car is just the cost of entry, they aren't joking. You can have someone wreck into you and it's 100% not your fault, but YOU eat the cost of the car. There is also the cost of entry fees, travel, towing rig, when shit breaks. Someone I know was wrecked into. He and a bunch of friends 'built' a new car from another chassis and swapped parts. IIRC it cost $10k to rebuild a NEON even with no labor cost and many swapped parts. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people scrambling for some mundane part on a car/engines that there were Millions made of only to get it from far away at the last minute. You go with an uncommon car and your expensive and time consuming race weekend is done, as is your points for that event.

A fully prepped track race car and street legal are mutually exclusive. Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know if you've spent time around track days, but me thinking you are saying race car and street legal made me think you hadn't.

You can probably do time trials and be ok with a semi 'street legal' car, but not full open track wheel-to-wheel competitive racing.

Speaking of Matt's (Tinnmans) RX7, that is probably one of the cheapest and easiest ways to get a car, BUY ONE. Matt's is unique as far as the swap too. Though I have no idea if he sold it yet or not. Just an example http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98110

EDIT: Good article to read through. http://www.speedsportlife.com/2009/03/27/avoidable-contact-25-exploring-the-pyramid-of-speed-the-real-costs-and-stories-behind-entry-level-sedan-racing/

Completely understood. But door-to-door racing isn't my goal. Events like Pike's, the Targa, and TT like you mentioned are a lot more forgiving of mixed-purpose cars. I know my car won't be a winning car, I don't have the skill to be at the top of the podium anyway.

My goal is to have a car that I can take to big events like the ones I mentioned, pass inspection, and be, if not competitive for the podium, at least competant. (After quite a few HPDEs of course, I'll need my license.) I'm more interested in events against the clock, not door-to-door racing. Club racing just doesn't really do it for me. Running against the clock lets me focus on the track without having to worry about other cars around me, and I find that a lot more enjoyable. Lots of people enjoy the personal competition of door-ro-door racing, but I'm not one of them.

As for the budget, I'm trying to keep it low so I have more for the contingencies you mention. If I wanted to blow the budget on the car, I'd be looking at twice that.. The 818 R is what got me thinking along these lines. The basic build is about $15K - $20K and it includes almost everything needed to pass inspection for the events I mentioned.

"Street Legal" is a vague term, especially in OH. Let's say it has lights.

I have done the HPDE with NASA the past 4 years and per weekend at Mid Ohio I spend:

$400 entry fee

$100 worth of tire wear

$150 in gas

$100 worth of brakes

$40 in oil

$50 in food

I drive my car there, camp, and drive my car home for $800+ a weekend and I am NOT even wheel to wheel racing or staying at hotel/motel.

I have thought about spec miata, you can get them for sale for $8k. Then you need a tow vehicle and a trailer and entry fees.[/b]

I've been road racing a Honda Civic for 14 years (SCCA Showroom Stock and ITA). Your expenses are right in line with what I spend per double regional race weekend. I do have a tow vehicle and trailer and stay in a friend's motorhome or get a hotel room for the weekend. Some weekends are as cheap as $650 while others can be much more expensive. The Honda is an easy car to work on and maintain. Parts are everywhere and cheap! It is also the most reliable car (IMHO) that you can own/race.

$20k can buy a very good race car, tow vehicle, trailer, safety equipment and plenty of spares. (And still have money left over to pay for a season or two of racing.) Getting on track is the first step. I've helped several friends get into W2W racing and am happy to discuss any specific questions anyone has about it. :)

Lotus Seven clone. CMC chassis. 2006 Yamaha R1 (1000cc) motorcycle engine & transmission. paddle shifter. under 1000lbs. Stupid quick.

driving a car that revs to 13k is fucking crazy

http://i.imgur.com/5OXsBh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Xwrmjh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pK4z2h.jpg

13k price tag.