It was Elmo's fault

nurkvinny

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm of the opposite opinion, if it happens the entire country is on notice of who's fault it is. Everyone knows Congress is responsible for this. They want to keep their jobs and perks. No way Congress doesn't get this done. It's too clear now that everyone is sick of party lines.

that's certainly one option and one I would hope they pull off. however, my faith in washington is low. my faith in Obama to rally this to an agreement is slightly higher now because he's really in the spotlight on it. so far both sides have one heel in the ground.

Unemployment will never hit zero and won't fall very low. It's not just about handouts. The fact is, a lot of these unemployed people just don't want to work. They'll bum room and board from friends and family, and find ways to live without holding a job. I don't know how many of you work in retail, but I have for a while and EVERY place I've worked has been hiring for one position or another. We have jobs we want to fill.

But we can't. Maybe 1/4 of the applications are worth even calling in for an interview. The rest are unemployable due to ridiculous availability, idiotic wage expectation, convicted felons, and the inability to do simple things like spell. Then of that 25%, you'll get maybe 1 in 3 that will actually call back about the interview and set up a time. From that small pool, they'll either fail to show up for the interview, fail the interview by being a moron, or fail the drug test. And then even if you do find someone who makes it through all of this, half the time they quit after a couple weeks because they don't like the job.

Right now, I need a driver. The job seems simple to me. I hand the driver a piece of paper, the driver picks the parts, hops in a car, drives the parts to the customer, hands the customer the parts, get a signature, and comes back for more. But apparently it's Fucking Rocket Science. I had someone apply for the job with a SUSPENDED LICENSE! Another guy couldn't handle the job and quit in the middle of a day:

Him: "Uhh, do you have another driver?"

Me: "Not really. Why? Do you have to go on break?"

H:"No. I'm gonna quit."

M:"What?"

H:"Well, if you don't have someone, I could take the delivery."

M:"Ah, no."

It's the easiest job in the world. Hell, you get to spend time outside the store driving around tow with the windows down and listening to music. It's a fucking dream job if it paid more. But it's still a job.

What I think a big problem is that people would rather have no job than a $9/hr retail job. They don't seem to get that if you show up, do this simple as fuck job, show you're capable and on-the-ball, that you can be someone dependable, you'll GET the big paying job. I started as a "lowly" driver three years ago and I've got my own commercial program in a new store, and my DL has spoken to me about managing a store or becoming a Commercial Accounts Manager for multiple stores.

The unemployment % is a good portion of just laziness. No president can fix that.

Unemployment will never hit zero and won't fall very low. It's not just about handouts. The fact is, a lot of these unemployed people just don't want to work. They'll bum room and board from friends and family, and find ways to live without holding a job. I don't know how many of you work in retail, but I have for a while and EVERY place I've worked has been hiring for one position or another. We have jobs we want to fill.

But we can't. Maybe 1/4 of the applications are worth even calling in for an interview. The rest are unemployable due to ridiculous availability, idiotic wage expectation, convicted felons, and the inability to do simple things like spell. Then of that 25%, you'll get maybe 1 in 3 that will actually call back about the interview and set up a time. From that small pool, they'll either fail to show up for the interview, fail the interview by being a moron, or fail the drug test. And then even if you do find someone who makes it through all of this, half the time they quit after a couple weeks because they don't like the job.

Right now, I need a driver. The job seems simple to me. I hand the driver a piece of paper, the driver picks the parts, hops in a car, drives the parts to the customer, hands the customer the parts, get a signature, and comes back for more. But apparently it's Fucking Rocket Science. I had someone apply for the job with a SUSPENDED LICENSE! Another guy couldn't handle the job and quit in the middle of a day:

It's the easiest job in the world. Hell, you get to spend time outside the store driving around tow with the windows down and listening to music. It's a fucking dream job if it paid more. But it's still a job.

What I think a big problem is that people would rather have no job than a $9/hr retail job. They don't seem to get that if you show up, do this simple as fuck job, show you're capable and on-the-ball, that you can be someone dependable, you'll GET the big paying job. I started as a "lowly" driver three years ago and I've got my own commercial program in a new store, and my DL has spoken to me about managing a store or becoming a Commercial Accounts Manager for multiple stores.

The unemployment % is a good portion of just laziness. No president can fix that.

In hawaii welfare = to 17.50 per hour more then 40 states pay more then 9 bucks an hour and even have medical packages.

I see you beat me to this. I was en route to finding it on my laptop. The similarities between the two's history is astounding...too astounding...

Obama was not accepted in the prominent art schools of his country even though his paintings were actually pretty badass???????

Hitler art

http://www.ynetnews.com/PicServer2/20122005/900510/LON106_wa.jpg

Hitler was a nationalist run amok............. I'm not sure I've ever heard a liberal be accused of being naitonalist before

this is crazy.......

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/408022_4867667975707_1030478756_n.jpg

That is inaccurate. I understand that most counties are red, but the important ones werent marked correctly in that image.

Ohio and Ill just for example.

http://i.imgur.com/3ttLP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pIytf.jpg

Speaking of presidents....

You know what? FUCK voting for the president. Let's just toss the whole thing out. It doesn't work, and it can't be fixed as it stands now. We aren't voting for the best guy for the job, we're voting for the guy who we hope won't fuck up as bad as the other one.

Shit on the whole thing.

Here's what we do:

These days there are an unbelieveable number of metrics that can measure how a business is doing. There are even businesses based around monitoring and analyzing other businesses. Nearly everything can be quantified and compared.

So the President ceases to be an elected position. Instead it becomes a position based on merit.

Every 4th year, the 50 states are compared. Based on a host of different metrics, the governor of the state that has shown the biggest improvement over the past 4 years becomes the next president.

There's no popularity contest. There're no dumptrucks of cash being wasted in trying to get us to choose one puppet over another. That's gone. There's no way to directly influence a presidential choice.

Here's the beauty of all this: Because the presidency is based on how well someone improves the state they run, they have a solid incentive to make tangible improvements. This also goes for the big $$ political backers that want someone in office. Since there's no campaign (aside from the 50 governors who are only state-wide elections) they have to help their guy improve the metrics. So they have to pour money into improving the state which benefits all of us.

Sure, they could choose an underperforming state, get their guy elected, then use the low baseline to make him look good. But the side effect is that an underperforming state just got a huge improvement. Win-win.

The fact is, a lot of these unemployed people just don't want to work.

What I think a big problem is that people would rather have no job than a $9/hr retail job.

I don't know how anyone over 18 not living at home could afford to take a $9hr job. :no: WOW.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "unemployment" does not take into consideration people who do not want to work, right?

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm#unemployed

So the 7.9% unemployment figure is only of those actively looking for work, when the real unemployment is much, much higher...

That is inaccurate. I understand that most counties are red, but the important ones werent marked correctly in that image.

Ohio and Ill just for example.

http://i.imgur.com/3ttLP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pIytf.jpg

Shit looks pretty spot-on to me. Hard working rural citizens don't like handouts and don't like debt, lazy urban fucks do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "unemployment" does not take into consideration people who do not want to work, right?

So the 7.9% unemployment figure is only of those actively looking for work, when the real unemployment is much, much higher...

^^ correct. nor does it count those who are underemployed.

^^ correct. nor does it count those who are underemployed.

That figure is people ACTIVELY receiving unemployment. So if your benefits run out, you are no longer counted. So when it reported that it drops to whatever percent, that doesn't mean that all those people won jobs, it may mean most ran out of time. SMH

The article I read somewhere really says I think (off the top of my head) was 40% of adults in America are unemployed. That figure is college kids, day traders, mitt Romeys of America, Housewives/husbands, Retirees, Drug dealers, lazy fucks, people fired/layed off, hippies.... You get the idea I hope.

To me, this makes the most sense of anything I have read in here... and I completely agree. Everyone wants paid, and nobody wants to work.

To everyone else who has a problem with unemployment, the debt ceiling, and raised taxes- What's your solution?

Everyone thinks they're some kind of political mastermind, but I'm sure if you sat in a seat with power, you could do dick for the government, either.

Nobody wins, and nobody will ever be happy.

I did not know that. That explains a lot.

Still doesn't get me a driver.

To me, this makes the most sense of anything I have read in here... and I completely agree. Everyone wants paid, and nobody wants to work.

To everyone else who has a problem with unemployment, the debt ceiling, and raised taxes- What's your solution?

Everyone thinks they're some kind of political mastermind, but I'm sure if you sat in a seat with power, you could do dick for the government, either.

Want to put money on that?

My solution is simple, do what makes the most sense for the majority of this country and fuck those who don't want to work. This would be made easy by not allowing elected officials to make a carreer out of just showing ulp to DC and doing jack shit.

You run this country like a business, trim the fat, cut the dead weight, and god forbid maybe hurt some feelings in the process.

The problem is that doing this would be political suicide and no career elected official would want to step off the gravy train.

Cliffs: Fuck the lazy, make people accountable for actions, cut unemployment down, force them to get some kind of job and HOLD IT, and force people to be accountable. In short Ron Paul

This is exactly what we deal with.

$13/hr customer service job. Or $20/hr sales job.

100 applicants

10% fail to give a resume, e-mail some stupid question already answered in the job description.

20% have misspellings on their resume or other random errors.

20% have work histories that have more holes than Swiss cheese.

That immediately leaves you with 50.

Eliminate the bottom half and start calls for a quick 3-4 question(does the person have a brain) phone interview. After all they are phone positions.

Of the 25 you call, 50% don't answer or return your call.

The 13 you get ahold of, half can immediately be eliminated for phone voice, or plain ignorance.

Schedule 7 in for face to face interviews.

Half don't show.

Hire the best 2.

First one quits within 2 weeks or never shows up the first day.

Second one sticks around 6-12 months till they find a job at chase or some other company.

Rinse and repeat.

I have a 5 point plan....... :gabe:

In all seriousness, Romeny did have a plan but people busted his chops on not providing all the details that honestly couldn't be provided until he sits down with congress to hammer them out.

I think he's been pretty clear on how to do it. You have to increase demand to increase product flow to increase jobs. That said, he has to balance the budget and put a solid plan to show others we're going to pay off debt. If not, who the fuck would want to invest in us or buy our stuff. No different that me as an employer, I would do business with a vendor that has shitty credit, $17T in debt, no plan and continuing to spend and who's revenue stream has been flat at best. Make sense so far?

That's why Mitt is talking about opening up markets and shoring up trade agreements. Fuck, China alone grew their economy 10% on exports alone by insuring their was demand for goods. Must be nice to have money laying around to buy up our debt and have such power. I wonder why Obama hasn't had that a part of his plan? Perhaps because he has no idea on how to make money....but he sure can criticize Mitt for doing it. Yeah, I'd hate to have a POTUS that could put us in a position to have cash flow like that.

There's more to it, but in the end, Obama hasn't been able to do any of the above so it's really no secret as to why the country is stagnate. Romeny has done this his entire life, Obama has never done it and has had four years at POTUS to do it and hasn't. What makes anyone think the next four years would be any different? It's fucking amazing anyone could believe in him. If he was such a good POTUS, then where are the results that back that success?

We have companies sitting on ass-loads of cash and as I've already posted not going to spend any of it due to lack of demand in the market place and in part to what's coming in January in terms of uncertainty with tax code. Get ready, because just about everyone on this board is going to be paying $2k more minimum in taxes thanks to Obama. Not going to spend any of it if healthcare reform is coming down as that's not going to be cheap and is only going to crush our economy even more. Again, amazing that Obama and his campaign have spent millions on talking about what the other guys' plan and not about their own or about their history of how it's worked and being seen in our daily lives. Hmmm.....