Monica Durban is still trying to pass this street racing bill

Cordell

......and the bill has been revised and is back again.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/11/13/columbus-street-racing-law-proposed.html

You guys may want to voice your opinion to your elected officials. Some of you may recall the online petition I started last time. What do you guys think will help?

Edited by Cordell

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This doesn't seem like much of a revision to me. IIRC the last time I reviewed the law, if found guilty, it was a minimum suspension with no privileges for 6 months-3 years. 6 point violation and high-risk insurance. From the sounds of it now all they are adding is your car gets taken and a minimum suspension of a year and a more severe standing in the levels of law. I got tagged for street racing in May of '11, and it was a complete BS charge, and luckily I had the money for a damn good lawyer.

In cases like mine, where it's a guy getting a BS ticket because of guilt by association and may not have the means to pay for it, what happens? I had an '01 T/A with exhaust. If I was driving let's say, a Ford Escape, he would have taken off after the Civic, and I would have been driving as usual. But instead with a legally modified car I was automatically assumed to be associated with the guy taking off, and therefore a criminal in the police officers eyes. All because some idiot in a civic hatch with no exhaust, neons, and a wing the size of a bench pulled up next to me at a red light and punched it, while I took off slowly as I normally would. So then I get pulled over and ticketed, car towed, no ride, etc., while the guy who actually did idiotic stuff runs, and gets off with nothing but a grin and cool story. While I get a ticket at age 19 that could severely impact my life and a family members'. I was very fortunate to have the money for a lawyer, and was even more fortunate that the judge actually somehow believed my side of the story.

I'm not saying all street racers are innocent, and not saying it should be legal by any means. Not condoning it, etc. Just simply giving an alternate point of view that is rarely ever heard. I'll be the first to also say I street raced after that. But when I did I made damn sure it happened on a back country road with no one around but me and the guy who I was racing. Does that make it a crime still? Yes. But it is substantially safer to the public than on I-70.

Well, coming from a huge street racer 10 years ago, I don't have a problem with this bill. Columbus is entirely too busy. When I first started back in 97 there would be no cars on the freeway at 2am. Today the roads are packed.

In addition, fast cars when I started racing were low 11's and had plenty of traction on the freeway, now cars can't hook from a 60 roll.

It sucks, but times have changed and the racing needs taken to a track.

Shit I've got video of Brian Turner talking about how fast a APR Stage 1 Jetta was. (It worked a 5.0 mustang) back in 2002era. It is a different time, We've got a younger generation of idiots with faster cars and less brains.

I'd be lying to say I wouldn't tango every now and then impromptu...

Shit I've got video of Brian Turner talking about how fast a APR Stage 1 Jetta was. (It worked a 5.0 mustang) back in 2002era. It is a different time, We've got a younger generation of idiots with faster cars and less brains.

I'd be lying to say I wouldn't tango every now and then impromptu...

1 word for you Bill..

Turbo Beetle..

I'm all for legislation against street racing but the problem is with the cops having open interpretation of what events he is witnessing. If your lined up with a flagger to start a race in a back alley after spraying pimp juice then it's pretty cut and dry. Now if 2 cars are lined up next to each other and stop light at 3 o'clock in the afternoon and they both accelerate evenly but briskly from the light up to the speed limit does that make it street racing? Does that make it a bad enough offense to ruin someone's life by charging them with a felony, taking their license, and taking her car? Edited by Buckeye
stupid talk to text

I think another issue on hand is too many cops wanting to look like the Knight in shining armor. They are willing to bend the truth to make themselves look good, because to be honest, why would someone in the court system take a suspect's word who is already trying to get out of the crime, over a cop's who (in the court's eye's) has no reason to lie about events? It's a flawed system with more and more cops being the kid who was picked on in high school and is looking for his own personal vengence, than to make sure things are done correctly.

Shit, I remember my dad telling me stories of where he was drunk, get pulled over, and the cop would have him leave his car in a parking lot and give his ass a ride home. Given this was back in the late 60's early 70's and a different time, and he wouldn't be blackout, but over the limit.

I'm all for legislation against street racing but the problem is with the cops open interpretation of what events he is witnessing. If your lined up with a flagger to start a race in a back alley after spraying pimp juice then it pretty cut and dry. Now if 2 cars are lined up next to each other and stop light at 3 o'clock in the afternoon and they both excelerate evenly but briskly from the light up to the speed limit does that make it street racing? Does that make it about an offence to ruin someone's life By charging them with a felony, taking their license, and taking her car?

I agree with this. From someone that was sited as street racing while on an R1 that was traveling down the highway next to a stock GTI because the officer saw me wave to him and we both accelerated. Needless to say the officer ran up on my ass while going I was under the speed limit to see what was wrong with my buddy, so I down shift and accelerated to make sure I wasn't wiped out by some asshole running up behind me, that turned out to be a cop.

same here man. I will try as many track rentals as I can. Just not safe for you or others when people street race.

Whether its the young crowd with no common sense racing bolt on hondas, or people with heavily modified power adder cars making side by side runs on the streets/freeways.

Just too much to go wrong.

same here man. I will try as many track rentals as I can. Just not safe for you or others when people street race.

Whether its the young crowd with no common sense racing bolt on hondas, or people with heavily modified power adder cars making side by side runs on the streets/freeways.

Just too much to go wrong.

Cannot agree more.

Last week I about got taken out in traffic by an idiotic pair racing in a vette and civic in traffic. The fucktard in the Honda about blasted someone in the ass because they could not slowdown when another car made a lane change.

Racing is illegal, I get it. This law however leaves it to the officer's judgement, and is truely a crackdown. Lots of my driving on the road could be interpreted as street racing, while I am not racing, I am reckless and speeding. A cop could easily up the penalties and fuck up my life 10 times harder by simply saying I was racing. I am not going to lie, I have street raced before but, I drive above the speed limit constantly, and my use of throttle oversteer could easily be called reckless, but these are the tickets I am risking it shouldn't be street racing and harder penalties. If they wanted to raise the penalties for speeding and reckless opp I'd have no arguement, but they are not. I personally am tired of hearing this woman's sob story, it could've been any number of things this woman hit, but because these guys were suspected of street racing anyone with a fast car and a heavy foot will be at risk with this law passed.

and fuck you hipocrites who have street raced before, I sincerely doubt you drive like a total saint on the road now so get off your high horse.

. I personally am tired of hearing this woman's sob story, it could've been any number of things this woman hit, but because these guys were suspected of street racing

you realize she was the one hit, she was not in the wrong at all, she was on her side of the road doing what she was supposed to be doing.

Scott, you know the risk when you do stupid shit on the road, you take that risk and you have to accept the penalites when you get caught. Yes it might be up to the cop, but you are agreeing for it to be up to him when you do stupid shit on the stree.

p.s. I know you are a good driver and i know you are in control 99.9% but there is always that risk of something breaking on your car and you going out of control and hitting a school bus full of kids. Just saying.

you realize she was the one hit, she was not in the wrong at all, she was on her side of the road doing what she was supposed to be doing. Scott, you know the risk when you do stupid shit on the road, you take that risk and you have to accept the penalites when you get caught. Yes it might be up to the cop, but you are agreeing for it to be up to him when you do stupid shit on the stree.

p.s. I know you are a good driver and i know you are in control 99.9% but there is always that risk of something breaking on your car and you going out of control and hitting a school bus full of kids. Just saying.

You missed my point, anything could happen at any time on the road. I avoid accidents every day I drive, it could be avoiding a drunk, or some dumbass who can't drive. Sure this woman was not in the wrong that night, I also feel that someone coming accross the middle of the freeway would not go un-noticed by me and I would've done something to avoid getting hit, sped up, slowed down, drove off my side of the road, but something. This is not really my point either because I am not condoneing street racing. They put this woman on the news, convey her fucking sob story just to promote support for this bill, when it's a bill giving way too much power to the cop and being as how I feel that I'm on the other side of said bill I have no voice in the matter and it is unfair to me. So like I said fuck this bitch and her sob story. Anything can happen at anytime, I have been very fortunate to walk away from accidents and avoid many others. However if I get seriously hurt it will not become part of my agenda to rewrite the traffic laws based on the one idiot who may have caused me to get hurt.

I stopped feeling bad for this woman as soon as I saw her ranting on the news, situation sucked, but it's over and this will not make a difference in her life. Want to write better laws? Prosecute dumbasses who drive impared,far more people are hurt as a result of an impared driver then one who is said to be street racing. Want to prove street racing? Submit police officer's dash cam as evidence and let a jury decide, use traffic cameras, do something, just don't let harsh life altering descisions be made on one officer's judgement.

Racing is illegal, I get it. This law however leaves it to the officer's judgement, and is truely a crackdown. Lots of my driving on the road could be interpreted as street racing, while I am not racing, I am reckless and speeding. A cop could easily up the penalties and fuck up my life 10 times harder by simply saying I was racing. I am not going to lie, I have street raced before but, I drive above the speed limit constantly, and my use of throttle oversteer could easily be called reckless, but these are the tickets I am risking it shouldn't be street racing and harder penalties. If they wanted to raise the penalties for speeding and reckless opp I'd have no arguement, but they are not.

In the end a cop can say you were going 80mph and not clock you and instead rely on his ability to judge speed. Here is pretty much just the same. He's not fucking you 10x harder as in both cases you can fight it in court and given the penalties, you would most certainly want to. The intent is to curb ass-hat driving that yes, we are all guilty of doing.

I personally am tired of hearing this woman's sob story, it could've been any number of things this woman hit, but because these guys were suspected of street racing anyone with a fast car and a heavy foot will be at risk with this law passed.

I followed this case pretty closely and while it hits home on CR it hits home with her every day. She was pretty messed up due to people doing the wrong thing. Suspected is a kind way of phrasing it and we all know it.

You missed my point, anything could happen at any time on the road. I avoid accidents every day I drive, it could be avoiding a drunk, or some dumbass who can't drive. Sure this woman was not in the wrong that night, I also feel that someone coming accross the middle of the freeway would not go un-noticed by me and I would've done something to avoid getting hit, sped up, slowed down, drove off my side of the road, but something. This is not really my point either because I am not condoneing street racing. They put this woman on the news, convey her fucking sob story just to promote support for this bill, when it's a bill giving way too much power to the cop and being as how I feel that I'm on the other side of said bill I have no voice in the matter and it is unfair to me. So like I said fuck this bitch and her sob story. Anything can happen at anytime, I have been very fortunate to walk away from accidents and avoid many others. However if I get seriously hurt it will not become part of my agenda to rewrite the traffic laws based on the one idiot who may have caused me to get hurt.

I stopped feeling bad for this woman as soon as I saw her ranting on the news, situation sucked, but it's over and this will not make a difference in her life. Want to write better laws? Prosecute dumbasses who drive impared,far more people are hurt as a result of an impared driver then one who is said to be street racing. Want to prove street racing? Submit police officer's dash cam as evidence and let a jury decide, use traffic cameras, do something, just don't let harsh life altering descisions be made on one officer's judgement.

Her and her family are impacted by someone that has been racing and drinking. Instead of turning the other cheek she does all she can to make the people who do things like this stress, worry, and rethink their actions. If I was her I would be doing the same shit. Hell, if I were her I would have joined CR, saw this thread, laughed, and replied with something like.... Yeah.. you mad :gabe:

You missed my point, anything could happen at any time on the road. I avoid accidents every day I drive, it could be avoiding a drunk, or some dumbass who can't drive. Sure this woman was not in the wrong that night, I also feel that someone coming accross the middle of the freeway would not go un-noticed by me and I would've done something to avoid getting hit, sped up, slowed down, drove off my side of the road, but something.

I highlighted about the single most important point noted.

They put this woman on the news, convey her fucking sob story just to promote support for this bill,
IMO it's one of the few things today's media, including social media is good for; getting her story out. Like it or not, her life is changed forever due to poor decisions of others and some would say laws that don't carry much punch. Scott, even you said you will over steer and have fun and are willing to take the lumps. Their point is if you're willing to do that, then perhaps the lumps aren't deterring you enough. The fact that you're bringing it up says they are closer. As they say, don't play if you can't pay. Just keeping it real.

So like I said fuck this bitch and her sob story. Anything can happen at anytime, I have been very fortunate to walk away from accidents and avoid many others. However if I get seriously hurt it will not become part of my agenda to rewrite the traffic laws based on the one idiot who may have caused me to get hurt.
I give her and her family credit for doing something. Too many talk and do nothing.

I stopped feeling bad for this woman as soon as I saw her ranting on the news, situation sucked, but it's over and this will not make a difference in her life.
Put it in perspective the next time we read about someone here rant about a scratch on their pride and joy that in the end is just a fucking car.

Want to write better laws? Prosecute dumbasses who drive impared,far more people are hurt as a result of an impared driver then one who is said to be street racing.
Didn't we just go through a thread that ripped apart efforts to do just that via checkpoints? Both situations are just as dangerous to the public in general. One might say street racing is as it typically involves more than one ass-hat whereby a drunk can only drive one car at at time. Besides, I also don't think the definition of "street racing" is just plain black and white from a stand still, etc....fuck the legal definition. I do think that ass-hat zigging through traffic at 5pm should be punished with more than just being reckless. Bullshit, typically they chase in pairs and are in fact racing....

Want to prove street racing? Submit police officer's dash cam as evidence and let a jury decide, use traffic cameras, do something, just don't let harsh life altering decisions be made on one officer's judgement.
Scott, they do....the officer's judgement on what to charge you with isn't the trial. It's an accusation.

This law however leaves it to the officer's judgement

THIS RIGHT HERE

Everyone it seems is missing the point here. It's not that we are saying street racing shouldn't be legal, and we arent saying it's ok, but it completly to easy for a scumbag cop (which their are plenty of..) to push the line and bullshit his side, just like in my case. The law in a nutshell says "two cars side by side taking off from a stop, or a paced count while moving" and goes on further to say a pace car, etc. So how about you are going down the road, two people race, and you are in your modded car when the cop catches up, and they are doing 75-80 right beside you? All the call they got said was multiple vehicles racing, and now they are ticketing you as well? Don't think it's happened? I know 3 people in the Dayton area that have had this EXACT same thing happen.

-Not saying you don't deserved to be punished if caught, and not saying it isn't dangerous. But I'm simply stating it's too easy to be found "guilty" on a bullshit ticket a cop wrote. The systems aren't kept in check anymore, and unfortunately it seems in society today we are all to willing to give up a bit of freedom for an added sense of "safety."