Grandpa is Car Shopping - Help me help the elderly :)

spankis

My grandpa has a 2001 Cadillac Deville DTS with the 4.6L 300hp Northstar motor. It has around 150k on it, and it's begun using some oil between oil changes (1-2 qts per 4000 miles!). It's a somewhat common problem on these motors at higher mileage, though the car still runs and drives very well. Regardless, it's only going to get worse, so he's in the market for a low mileage, slightly used gramps mobile.

I'm basically looking for input on specific powertrains to prefer or avoid, as I don't want him buying another motor that's going to be a maintenance/overhaul problem down the road.

He's looking at several certified pre-owned or balance of factory warranty cars, so please offer input on the following:

- Cadillac CTS and STS, Buick Lacrosse, Chevy Impala (Direct Injected GM 3.6L V6, **Also the 3.9L in some Impalas I see)

- Chrysler 300 (3.6L "Pentastar" V6)

- Ford Taurus (non EcoBoost 3.5L V6)

He asked me to go test drive a few cars later today, so all help is appreciated.

-Scott

Edited by spankis

I drove a Buick LaCrosse...terrible car. Transmission is goofy, electronics problems at less than 50k miles. Cordell hasn't been giving the DI 3.6L V6's high marks for what he sees coming in the service bay.

HAven't driven the Ford Taurus, but ridden in one and it seems impressive.

Is the Pentastar V6 offered in the old body style Chrysler 300? That's actually the way I'd go...I drove a Jeep Wrangler with the 3.8L and then a Wrangler Rubicon with the Pentastar 3.6L and the difference is night and day. Great engine! I could only imagine how crappy the heavy 300C would've been with the 3.5L...

If he went newer (2011,2012?), the V6 Chrysler 300s also have the same 8-speed automatic that's in the Audi A8. High marks in anyone's book.

Thanks Clay. As for the last generation 300, they did not offer the Pentastar unfortunately. The current generation started in 2011 model year and that was the first to get it. He likes the first gens (05-'10) but honestly there are not a ton of lower mileage examples out there. If he went with last generation though, he'd go with the Hemi for sure.

I like the Taurus too, and they're giant. I'd like him to go that route myself but the fact that it doesn't say Cadillac/Lincoln/Mercury/Buick on it keeps him a bit less interested. Stupid old man logic.... I'm hoping a test drive might sway him.

Pentastar launched in the 2011, but they 8-speed wasn't until 2012. They are nice cars, I like them a lot.

I drove a Lacrosse and thought it was nice, but don't know anyone that has one. Buck gets high quality marks in JD Power though.

My dad has a Toyota Avalon (the Buick of Toyota's) and it's pretty nice and has been reliable.

I should also clarify that he would likely never buy from a non-American maker. He had some nice things to say about my mom's accord because Honda makes cars in Ohio etc. etc. - but I can't see him ever buying one.

Old people lol.

I should also clarify that he would likely never buy from a non-American maker. He had some nice things to say about my mom's accord because Honda makes cars in Ohio etc. etc. - but I can't see him ever buying one.

Old people lol.

Well, that answers the Lexus question... Even though Lexus was developed and created as a brand specifically for the US market.

Old people. lol ;)

he needs a corvette.

He would drive it, but he I would have to follow him around and pull him out of it. He truly could not get out of my Stealth without help lol. He has a very bad hip that is mostly driving the preference for larger cars.

The 3.6 DI V-6 has seen its share of issues, and I will say it runs great when its right. Typically if the oil is chaned at 3k mile intervals and the eninge is taken good care of we have seen some do quiet well, however oiling seems to be the issue. Chains wear, seen broken rods, and spun bearings, all seems to stem from GM's stupid oil life system. Just my opinion from what I've seen. I've been considering buying a 3.6 Impala, but I'm not scared to fix it as I have no issue working on the thing. What keeps drawing me back is GM's worthless 6 speed automatics that keep breaking waveplates and killing transmissions, those I am not a fan of and do not like dealing with.

The 3.6 DI V-6 has seen its share of issues, and I will say it runs great when its right. Typically if the oil is chaned at 3k mile intervals and the eninge is taken good care of we have seen some do quiet well, however oiling seems to be the issue. Chains wear, seen broken rods, and spun bearings, all seems to stem from GM's stupid oil life system. Just my opinion from what I've seen. I've been considering buying a 3.6 Impala, but I'm not scared to fix it as I have no issue working on the thing. What keeps drawing me back is GM's worthless 6 speed automatics that keep breaking waveplates and killing transmissions, those I am not a fan of and do not like dealing with.

Thanks sir that's really good info! I started reading up on these motors myself and found mostly info on timing chain wear and stretch like you're saying. I read somewhere that like mid 2010 model year the timing chain source was changed for all 3.6 engine production, and it got a new part number. Can you confirm any of that? If he should focus on 2010 and newer to hopefully avoid issues that works. He always changes his oil at 3-4000 miles anyway.

Those new Cadillac ATS are somewhat cheap, right? 30k?

That's still too much for him. He's looking at spending no more than 22k or so on a lower mileage used car. ATS is also too small for sure and surely wouldn't "ride good" lol. He is 80 yrs old :).

Buick lucerne (sp?). Pretty nice cars and could still be had with the series 3 3800.

Aren't these on the same chassis as the Deville he's selling? Different motor options I realize, but old and badge-engineered it seems.

My mom just bought a '12 Cruze. 1.4 Ecotec I believe. It actually can get out of it's own way more than I expected. 2LT model, and it's awesome. I'd buy it if I was in the market for a non-performace oriented car honestly. Heated leather, power seats, electric steering....BUT maybe on second thought it just seems like a luxury car to me because I'm used to F-Body interiors and old school broken down interiors as well..

The Taurus is very nice. I would have gone that route but it would have had to be the SHO. However, the 3.5L in the Fusion Sport which is the same as what's in the Taurus is great. It's very quiet, the 6spd shifts are barely noticeable and it has more than enough power. The new Michelins I put on it really improved the ride and handling too.

The big thing for me outside reliability thus far is the local dealer service has been top notch. Not sure where he's located though.

They did change the source of the chain, but I've seen a handfull of rod issues on the 2011-2012 cars/SUVs. The 2012 camaro with the 3.6 I had last week spun 2 rod bearings at 15k miles, though I'm sure that car was beat on. I think they are worth the risk at this point for the newer ones if you do more fluids then GM recommends.

It's really sad how much GM has caved on oil life due to enviromental groups cracking down on oil waste, that is where the long oil change intervals that the cars are equipped with and DexOs oil comes from. However the newer engines, 3.6L especially, have much more going on with the oil like piston cooling and variable valve timing that is overly senstive to oil quality and condition. I tell everyone how changing the oil on these engines is so much more important then ever no matter what GM says.

Thanks sir that's really good info! I started reading up on these motors myself and found mostly info on timing chain wear and stretch like you're saying. I read somewhere that like mid 2010 model year the timing chain source was changed for all 3.6 engine production, and it got a new part number. Can you confirm any of that? If he should focus on 2010 and newer to hopefully avoid issues that works. He always changes his oil at 3-4000 miles anyway.

That's still too much for him. He's looking at spending no more than 22k or so on a lower mileage used car. ATS is also too small for sure and surely wouldn't "ride good" lol. He is 80 yrs old :).

Aren't these on the same chassis as the Deville he's selling? Different motor options I realize, but old and badge-engineered it seems.

I dont believe so. I dont know exactly what chassis the dts's were on, but im pretty sure the lucerne was an H body, which is like the bonnevilles. Older chassis, but they ride and handle amazing for a big ass boat lol. Not to mention they indistructable 3.8, and my bonneville gets 22/32 mpg.