Battery Draining Overnight

Fubar231

Well i guess ill try this again in the right section.

So for the past week or so ive been trying to narrow down what could be draining my battery. The car is a 2000 Camaro, has a optima red top battery, and new alternator as of last week.

So heres the background on it

Maybe two weeks ago or so i noticed the car was cranking slower every time i got in it, till the point where i had to be pushed and clutch dump it to get it to start / get it home. Took my battery up to Napa and the guy checked it with his voltmeter or whatever he used and he said it was good, said to check my alternator. So i went home, pulled the alternator and went back to Napa, had it tested and it was bad. Replaced the alternator (Also messed up a wire but re-wired and re-pinned the connector when it happened). So after i replaced the alternator i thought it was all good, but after going for a test drive and having the car sit for a while, i went to start it and it was cranking super slow, stopped cranking for a second, then cranked again REAL slow and got it started. After this happened i figured ok, i must have something thats slowly draining my battery.

Go to about three days ago, i pulled the battery and charged it. I put it back in the car and it was reading 11.9 volts. Go out and check it the next day, still reading 11.9 volts, ok good. Started the car and let it idle in the garage for like 10 minutes, shut it off. Go down to the garage the next day and it was still reading 11.9 volts. Go out to my car today and i hit it with the voltmeter and was getting 11.5 volts on the battery. Sit in the car and put the key to the ON position and my volt gauge on the cluster is saying 8 volts... wtf? Take the key out of the ignition, go check the battery and its 11.5 volts. (wtf?). Go put the key back in the car and put it on the ON position and 8 volts at the gauge, go check the battery and only getting about 8 volts at the battery.

The car does have a aftermarket alarm/remote start installed (Has been on the car since i got it, i don't use the keyfob for it, i use the GM one), have an Electric Cut Out and a OBD-2 Gauge (UltraGauge), and HID's (VVME Kit, one for low lights and one for fog lights, none for my highs). Ive had everything installed for a while now and this just started happening, so i dont know if i should look into these or what.

I don't really know where to start with wiring problems. I read you can test circuits in the car by using a voltmeter and hooking the +/- leads up to something (Dont know what) and by watching the resistance and pulling fuses you can find out which one it might be? Im not sure.

Please, can somebody tell me what i should do, or maybe where i should start looking? Im probably going to have to end up taking it somewhere as i hate wiring and dont know really how to start troubleshooting it. If i do end up taking it somewhere, where would you guys recommend? IPS? Pickup Plus? A Stealership?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE

So after being told to take the battery to AutoZone and have it tested heres what i got.

Just called AutoZone cause the guy never called me back about the battery, and when i called him he said that it was charged but he was going to go run the test, and then when he picked back up he said its only holding 44% charge and it looks like the battery is dead. Told him id be by in the morning to grab it.

Does this sound right??

Edited by Fubar231

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the battery retested, and make sure it is not leaking if it looks wet the battery is bad regardless. Check the wiring you fucked with on your alternator. Then if all that checks out I'll explain a draw test.

Ill go get the battery tested. I don't think its my alternator because the battery will slowly drain or have this problem without even it running, or being started. Ill double check my wiring and get the battery tested and report back. The battery is a Optima Red Top thats been in the car since i bought it (June 2010), and it didnt look wet / feel wet when i was messing with it earlier. The red top is a sealed battery that doesnt leak either, or so i thought, but it does say something on the label saying it wont spill.

How old is battery.. Nathan's trans am was Terrible at killing batteries

The Optima Red Top has been in the car since i bought it in June 2010. There were no stickers taken out on the top of the battery so i have no clue when it was purchased/installed.

Take it to Advanced and let them run a charging test on it.. They found out my battery was messed up when they tried charging it but not during the diagnostic.. ( so let it drain)

And at 2-3 years old, I'd probably replace it anyways

Battery probems typically show up more in cooler temps anyways

Take it to Advanced and let them run a charging test on it.. They found out my battery was messed up when they tried charging it but not during the diagnostic.. ( so let it drain)

And at 2-3 years old, I'd probably replace it anyways

Thats what im about to do here in a minute. I took it to Napa and he tested it with a handheld thing (Wasnt a multimeter, it was something pretty big with a screen on it and stuff) but they didnt bench test it or try to charge it or anything.

Also i figured it being a optima red top that it would still be a good battery, but you never know.

Thats what im about to do here in a minute. I took it to Napa and he tested it with a handheld thing (Wasnt a multimeter, it was something pretty big with a screen on it and stuff) but they didnt bench test it or try to charge it or anything.

Also i figured it being a optima red top that it would still be a good battery, but you never know.

Good luck! But IMHO, I'll bet it needs replaced

I didn't realize it was an Optima, they are not going to get wet like a traditional battery, but they also don't test like a regular battery. With battery charged and the car off you should be close to 12.5 volts, with maybe 11-11.5 key on. However this is not how you test for a draw, the first step is to make doubley sure it has a good power source ie battery, then you need to set up to measure milli amps, this means hooking a multi-meter in series with the negative battery terminal and cable.

Like I said though verify the battery is good.

I didn't realize it was an Optima, they are not going to get wet like a traditional battery, but they also don't test like a regular battery. With battery charged and the car off you should be close to 12.5 volts, with maybe 11-11.5 key on. However this is not how you test for a draw, the first step is to make doubley sure it has a good power source ie battery, then you need to set up to measure milli amps, this means hooking a multi-meter in series with the negative battery terminal and cable.

Like I said though verify the battery is good.

I just pulled the battery out a minute ago, im gonna take off here in a few and run to AutoZone or Advanced and have them test it. Ill report back once i get back from there and we can go from there.

Take it to AutoZone and make sure the idiots test it as a Optima Redtop. There are options on the tester, both handheld and the charge and test station for that. If they don't it will always come back bad. I see Optima's come into my store all the time that are on 3-5 years old, which sucks for the customer because it only has a 2 year warranty on it, at least nowdays.

I'll put my money on it being a bad battery. Optima's in my experience do some funky stuff before they go out completely.

Well its up at AutoZone charging. The guy tested it with the handheld thing and it said 11.59 volts, but he said the battery could be good or bad (Think he said the thing was showing both? I dont know exactly) but its up there getting charged/tested and hes gonna call me back in about an hour.

Ill update the thread when i hear back from them and go from there.

Well its up at AutoZone charging. The guy tested it with the handheld thing and it said 11.59 volts, but he said the battery could be good or bad (Think he said the thing was showing both? I dont know exactly) but its up there getting charged/tested and hes gonna call me back in about an hour.

Ill update the thread when i hear back from them and go from there.

It was likely too low to test. Usually they require a minimum of 12-ish volts before it even lets it test.

It was likely too low to test. Usually they require a minimum of 12-ish volts before it even lets it test.

Just called AutoZone cause the guy never called me back about the battery, and when i called him he said that it was charged but he was going to go run the test, and then when he picked back up he said its only holding 44% charge and it looks like the battery is dead. Told him id be by in the morning to grab it.

Does this sound right??

Well I'm not too sure what was suppossed to sound right, but to me it sounds like your battery has biten the dust. Find a friend with the same series battery and throw it in and see what happens. I'd just say to buy a new battery and save yourself the time. Edited by Geeesammy

Well I'm not too sure what was suppossed to sound right, but to me it sounds like your battery has bite the dust. Find a friend with the same series battery and throw it in and see what happens. I'd just say to buy a new battery and save yourself the time.

Im asking if the 44% charge sounds right with what ive been saying above (I.E. 11.9 volts and the readings im getting/have gotten etc.) And have you used the equipment they use to test it and stuff? Sound correct with your experience and what hes told me?

Plus if it is dead this would be the 2nd time Napa has told me my battery is good when its not.

Im asking if the 44% charge sounds right with what ive been saying above (I.E. 11.9 volts and the readings im getting/have gotten etc.) And have you used the equipment they use to test it and stuff? Sound correct with your experience and what hes told me?

Plus if it is dead this would be the 2nd time Napa has told me my battery is good when its not.

Sounds to me like he's just being a lazy ass. You need to have him up it on the test and charge. It's literally a machine that charges it, if it accepts the charge to anything above 85% or so it will then test it, then you will know. If it is only taking a 44% charge the battery in my opinion is shot. Which one did you take it to?

Edited by Geeesammy

Sounds to me like he's just being a lazy ass. You need to have him up it on the test and charge. It's literally a machine that charges it, if it accepts the charge to anything above 85% or so it will then test it, then you will know. If it is only taking a 44% charge the battery in my opinion is shot. Which one did you take it to?

The one on Sawmill road by Kohls/Dicks.

When i go pick it up tomorrow im gonna ask them to test it again in front of me real quick just so i know for sure. Wanna make sure hes just not tryin to sell me a battery or some shit.

The one on Sawmill road by Kohls/Dicks.

When i go pick it up tomorrow im gonna ask them to test it again in front of me real quick just so i know for sure. Wanna make sure hes just not tryin to sell me a battery or some shit.

Just buy a new one. They dont make commission and aren't going to sell you a new one unless it's actually bad. If they are anything like me they'll just see it as excess work they have to do and find it pointless to do, and would rather not deal with someone coming back crying saying we sold them a bad battery when their charging system is fucked. Do everyone a favor including yourself most importantly and double check all your wiring to eliminate that issue. Post pics up if need be so we can see what it looks like..

Edited by Geeesammy