Bringing back the Grand National

Buck531

ATS is 3630 AWD, and 3460 RWD, G8 is 3880 for the v6... so lets not exaggerate... Sure you can get a loaded v8 GT for 4000lbs...

Furthermore, lets talk size.... and we will use the important part of wheel base and track width...

Wheel Base

G8: 114.8

ATS: 109.3

Track Width F/R

G8: 62.7/63.3

ATS: 59.5/60.9

So it is a whopping 5" shorter on wheel base, and 3" narrower... yea, it is so much smaller....

But to the point made, it is more than I thought it was still, so I can see the gap.

In terms of cars, a 5" difference in wheel base, and a 3" difference in track is a pretty good size difference. Having owned a G8 GT (the 4000lb variety ;) ) and sitting in and walking around an ATS there is a big difference in size. Not trying to argue but to say that the projected sizing of the new GN will be similar to the G8 is just a false statement all around. The G8 is just a BIG car inside out, and honestly I loved the extra size of it and would gladly take the weight penalty for more space. Just made the car ride better and more comfortable on longer trips. To sum it up

G8 = Full size

ATS/new GN = mid-size

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of cars, a 5" difference in wheel base, and a 3" difference in track is a pretty good size difference. Having owned a G8 GT (the 4000lb variety ;) ) and sitting in and walking around an ATS there is a big difference in size. Not trying to argue but to say that the projected sizing of the new GN will be similar to the G8 is just a false statement all around. The G8 is just a BIG car inside out, and honestly I loved the extra size of it and would gladly take the weight penalty for more space. Just made the car ride better and more comfortable on longer trips. To sum it up

G8 = Full size

ATS/new GN = mid-size

Yeah, it's a pretty big difference. The ATS is almost identical in size to a 3-series, actually it even pretty close to a Cruze's external dimensions.

The alpha platform will also underpin the next Camaro.

Didn't mean to make it sound fancy -- if GM doesn't padlock the controller -- this would be a fun OEM setup to play with; one of the few with the hardware and software intended for wastegate control. For most of us, that means no pressing need to use external controller systems or interfaces.

Didn't mean to make it sound fancy -- if GM doesn't padlock the controller -- this would be a fun OEM setup to play with; one of the few with the hardware and software intended for wastegate control. For most of us, that means no pressing need to use external controller systems or interfaces.

Forgive my ignorance, but how has this been done in the past?

I've only seen inside the VW/Audi stuff, and there has been wastegate duty cycle control for eons with build in solenoids similar to that of aftermarket systems.

Requested boost per map ect. ect. ect.

i like it, i'd rock one for sure. if it comes with AWD, it would be a no-brainer for me. anyone not thinking GM is in the performace car business needs their head examined. my V is the best car i've ever driven---period. it feels 10 times lighter, more in control compared with the GT500 i just bought. the car looks sexy as hell with the big grill and raised hood--GM styled the car perfectly. once the tires are warmed up, the car is an absolute 'rape machine' from light to light with the auto, and i'm bone stock.

when i took my vette to chicago to mod it, the owner of the shop had a pulleyed cts-v with cooling mods and drag radials---he routinely ran low 11's with the simplest of mods. his license plate was "60 footr"----these cars roll out like a mother and keep pulling well into the 100's. like me, he preferred the V over the vette for all but the most extreme driving

It could be an awesome lightweight AWD car and I'd bet you'd go buy another Subaru, why do you care?

Little do you know, my true dream car is the CTSV Wagon. :p

I don't hate GM cars, they just aren't the best at what i want/can afford.

Nathans TransAm was among my dream cars and everything he had done to it was a true work of art in my eyes.

The fact of the matter is GM doesnt know how to remake a car that isn't a lardass.

I have always wanted a GN, but never had a reason to own one. :shrug:

I do love my subarus, but i love all cars for many different reasons.

Forgive my ignorance, but how has this been done in the past?

I've only seen inside the VW/Audi stuff, and there has been wastegate duty cycle control for eons with build in solenoids similar to that of aftermarket systems.

Requested boost per map ect. ect. ect.

Outside of the small cylinder turbocharged configs, all of the controllers available to the public have been centered around controls that regulate Eaton's blowers. They do have a control method in place, but the driver and setup is meant to drive the bypass to an open state (regulation opens the bypass, bypassing rotors, lowering boost). Lots of the goodies are in place when it comes to the control loops, but the application would take some brain storming to interface with a wastegte style control system.

The simple answer is, wastegate control or an AMS10000000.

Maybe it's just me, but I wish somebody would offer their performance models with tons of option deletes, cloth seats, and super basic everything. Just give me the go fast shit.

I would, for example, be a buyer for a V6 bodied Mustang with no options, power nothing, and the 5.0/6-speed combo.... or something along those lines. If it knocks 5 grand off the entry price, I'm interested.

Basically I'd like the finest mechanical goodies in the cheapest, ugliest chassis you've got, and sell it to me.

I would like the same but this caters to such a small group there's not enough money in it for this to be offered it seems like. Most people want the leather heated seats/wheel, sat/nav, power roof etc....etc...

Even I will admit, with the exception of the leather I like all the equipment in my car, decent stereo, a/c, power everything.

that seems narrow minded. And what makes you think the coupe has "died"? Plenty of real sports cars, or sports coupes in the market. Some people want/need/prefer 4 doors... for family, practicality, space, etc... and some of that group of people still want performance and power and the ability to use it in a performance oriented manner. And some of that group do it because of the perception of prestige...

Just because you prefer a sports car, or a sports coupe, doesnt discount that there is a LARGE market for sports sedans, more particularly "luxury" sports sedans.

I guess I'm of the opinion that outside of the Corvette world, the G-Body is the ONLY good thing to come out of GM since the 60's.

i like it, i'd rock one for sure. if it comes with AWD, it would be a no-brainer for me. anyone not thinking GM is in the performace car business needs their head examined. my V is the best car i've ever driven---period. it feels 10 times lighter, more in control compared with the GT500 i just bought. the car looks sexy as hell with the big grill and raised hood--GM styled the car perfectly. once the tires are warmed up, the car is an absolute 'rape machine' from light to light with the auto, and i'm bone stock.

when i took my vette to chicago to mod it, the owner of the shop had a pulleyed cts-v with cooling mods and drag radials---he routinely ran low 11's with the simplest of mods. his license plate was "60 footr"----these cars roll out like a mother and keep pulling well into the 100's. like me, he preferred the V over the vette for all but the most extreme driving

Your reply just gave me wood for a car. :no:

I guess I'm of the opinion that outside of the Corvette world, the G-Body is the ONLY good thing to come out of GM since the 60's.

I can see that, depending on your style of automobile, but think of the industry as a whole and you will see otherwise...

f-bodies are hugely popular and successful to the drag racing crowd

the cavalier was a HUGELY successful car in capturing the domestic compact car buyer.

Suburban, revolutionized the large SUV. And lets not forget the iconic luxury suv, the Escalade

Blazer/trailblazer, widely popular small SUV

and thats just off the top of my head...

Oh, what about the muscle era of hte 70s, such as the Malibu!

I would bet you it'll be more in the range of $45k+. Look at Srt8 Chargers. Holy shit. $50k for a fucking charger? Give me a break.

Yeah 50k is outrageous for a Charger; 10 years ago one of these or a Charger would've been probably 10k cheaper lol

Lol on this forum alone 90+% of people would also say the F-Body, G-Body was good, but not the sole, greatest

The way I see it now, since GM gave Pontiac (or what GM was going for for the sportier lineup) the axe, now there has to be some sort of replacement for the market of people who want something a little more fun to drive. I think they are trying to get away from Buick (in the eyes of americans at least) being a "grandpa car" brand. There has not been anything that seems like it would be fun to drive from Buick (I would make the exception for the supercharged models except that the Grand Prix GTP was sportier than what Buick was turning out) since the 80's, up until Pontiac got the axe. I think this line of cars they are coming out with are going to target here in America as the only reason Buick is around still (from what I heard on the news, but there could be other reasons, idk) is that they are hugely popular in China. Either way, I'm excited to see reviews on any of these cars as they sound like they would be much more fun than anything since the 80's.

http://i.imgur.com/ok42S.gif

http://awesomelyluvvie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/tears.gif

I can see that, depending on your style of automobile, but think of the industry as a whole and you will see otherwise...

f-bodies are hugely popular and successful to the drag racing crowd

the cavalier was a HUGELY successful car in capturing the domestic compact car buyer.

Suburban, revolutionized the large SUV. And lets not forget the iconic luxury suv, the Escalade

Blazer/trailblazer, widely popular small SUV

and thats just off the top of my head...

Oh, what about the muscle era of hte 70s, such as the Malibu!

Hate much?

Lol on this forum alone 90+% of people would also say the F-Body, G-Body was good, but not the sole, greatest

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp201/copperhead035/tumblr_m0izvrs3Dm1qfczas.gif