Please rate vehicles that have the best steering response/feel that you have driven.

hpfiend

Hey all-

Trying to garner some information... Looking for A-F scholastic style grades...

For me I give an A+ to our old 1977 Porsche 924 with a tiny momo steering wheel and an A to an 1987 911 also with a momo wheel. I give a solid B+ to a 2000 Jetta VR6 and a B to the Acura RSX-S. I give my C5 Z06 a C- and my wife's RL a C.

I have also heard are nice but never driven: 1998 BMW M3, '95 Volvo 850TR

F rating goes to my old 1966 ford galaxie 500 convertable. It was a pontoon boat on wheels. big ol school bus steering wheel. I blew a back tire out on it going down the highway once @65 with the top down and thought I was going to die. starts the death swerves. My butthole puckered soo tight you couldn't pass a grain of sand through it. Sold it 2 monthes later for a 1968 chevelle ss with muncie 4spd n 383 stroker.

A rating goes to my old 2004 mazda rx8 6spd. This thing literally drove as if the road was a rollercoaster and you were on rails. prolly the most responsive steering/handling car I've ever driven.

Edited by Rustlestiltskin

2001 Trans Am stock suspension C, seemed like you could get great feedback in some scenarios, others it was non existent

1992 Supra B+ Lowered stiffer springs/ shocks...great feedback, but still seems like there is some dead spots in feedback, havent had any good chances to really really push it yet however..

2012 Cruze D+, electric steering, way too smooth of steering, can't feel anything, pushed it through a few turns and received virtually no feedback

1992 Dodge Stealth RT/TT A- Buddies car, Awd and AWS on coilovers. Crazy wheel feedback, hugged the shit out of the road, Cobra rims all around helped however..

2007 GSXR 600 knee dragging roller coaster rail ride :gabe:

1992 Mazda Miata. A+. Steering was so precise you could turn the car just by thinking.

2005 Mazda3. B+. Very responsive and good amount of feedback.

2009 Mitsubishi Evo X. A-. Razor sharp for AWD and made the car very easy to chuck around.

2009 Subaru WRX. B-. Good but not as precise as the Evo. A little bit more relaxed but it still gave me a good bit of road info.

Those are some of the most recent I have driven. I can give you feedback on every car I tested when I was doing my writing

A+ to the 2003 BMW 530i that my mom got rid of about a year ago. The wheel was very tight and somewhat heavy, not a touch of sloppiness to any of the handling of that car.

B to my 2003 Volvo S60. I like it a lot, but points off due to the horrid turning radius (if you ever drive one, you'll know)

B to my brothers 2012 Kia Optima SX Turbo. It's responsive, car turns great, but it feels way too light for me.

B to my moms 2012 Explorer Limited. Electric steering is something to get used to. The way it tightens up a lot at highway speeds is nice however. Contemplated giving this a B+ or A- just for the other great features it has on the steering wheel its self.

B- to my dads 2005 Acura TL. I just don't like the handling or feel of that wheel at all.

C- to 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's what I expected from an SUV, and got better after replacing tie rod ends.

C- to brothers former 1999 Explorer Limited. Maybe a touch better or worse than the Jeep, but that car has been sold for over a year.

Other cars I haven't driven enough or recently enough to give any good input.

The BRZ: A- It has fantastic response and feedback. But no matter how well tuned the electric steering is, there this faint disconnect. But it's not bad enough to matter.

The STI: B as it sits now. Stock, maybe a C+

The WRX: C-

The Ambulance: F

Past cars:

Legacy GT: C-

'86 Corolla: C+ but the sloppy 20+ year old suspension didn't help.

The funny thing is, I would probably have been rating these cars almsot a grade higher before I owned the BRZ. It was a real eye-opener.

2004 MazdaSpeed Miata, A-

Doc's Lotus Elise, A+

Tom's C6 Z06 on R-comps, B+

I'll admit that I haven't driven many great cars, especially since 5-6 years ago I thought my Camaro was good. Maybe it's just that I'm used to my Miata but it just goes where I think about putting it. The Elise was unbelivable especially since it was a real eye opener for me having never driven something

A- 2006 Honda S2000 - Though this shpuldn't be possible as it has electric steering but other than missing a bit of feel at low speeds it has the fastest ratio I've ever driven and is just plain telepathic!! I would also rate the E30 Bimmers here as well, driven a few and though the ratios are slow the feel and feedback in amazing.

B - 1g DSM's - Mitsu has always been about drivers cars and they gave relatively quick ratios and great road feel.

C - 2004 Mustang - though its hydraulic w/assist it's too light for me and doesn't have the feel unless you have some low profile tires with hard ass sidewalls. I've driven a newer Boss, its worse......

Edited by Dr. Apex

A - 2003.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - This car handled VERY well. Many magazines said it was the best handling FWD car they had driven; SCC even compared it to the Integra Type R.

B - Saturn Sky - It reacted relatively fast to steering inputs, but I wouldn't say it had great feedback.

F - Jeep Wrangler.

C - Dodge Challenger - not much feedback and the early cars had a giant steering wheel. I'm glad they made the wheel smaller in 2011+ cars, but that's also when it got EHPS.

I've driven a lot of other cars, but it's not worth it to rate them...

Cordell - where did the CTS-V come in ?

How about the Cobalt ?

Okay,

CTS-V, B, good but nothing spectacular

Cobalt, C+, amazing considering the market its in and with EPS

Soltice, B-, simply because the stock suspension just leaves so much to be desired it costs alot of the steering feel