Jeep help

Ryan218

I have a 01 grand cherokee and the heater core is leaking. ( fogging of windshield and smells of antifreeze from vents. Enough to make to dizzy.) anyways I got the dash removed but now the heater ore is my question. Do I have to take the whole sub assembly for the hvac away from the Firewall? Discounting the ac system ect in the engine compartment? I could use a little help at this point. Need some pointers. Done a heater core in my of body before but this thing is way more of a pain in the ass. Although. 2 hours to get the dash out was not to bad I thought. so far searching online has been no help. If anyone knows I could use a point in the right direction.

Ryan

614-832-9977

Yes you have to remove the whole hvac housing. Discharge the AC, unbolt the lines going into the firewall. Remove heater core hoses. Remove all the hidden bolts that hold the hvac housing to the firewall.

Remove all 80 screws and separate the housing. Being careful of the doors..

Yes you have to remove the whole hvac housing. Discharge the AC, unbolt the lines going into the firewall. Remove heater core hoses. Remove all the hidden bolts that hold the hvac housing to the firewall.

Remove all 80 screws and separate the housing. Being careful of the doors..

Best way to discharge ac? And what lines to I all need to take off. Ac and the heater return and feed line?

The right way to discharge A/C is have a shop do it with a machine that can recover it. The hillbilly wrong way, crack something loose so that it seeps out, professionally I don't recommend this route but it sounds like you're stuck. Do you have a valve core tool? If so just loosen the core in the A/C line, but only slightly and let it out slowly because its under high pressure and will hurt you if it sprays your skin. Again this is not a safe method, but aside from having a machine recover it you'd need to find someone with a vacuum pump and a/c storage container and fitting to basically do the same job as the machine.

Sorry I don't have an easy answer, and if I had my own tools like that to come help you I would.

Got the new heater core in. Engine up being one bolt in the engine bay to remove but was easy to spot. Now to just put the dash back in place and sterring colum. Bets on how many harness plugs ill forget to plug in and have to take it all back apart?

too late for this suggestion but when I do something like taking a dash apart or a timing belt ive never done before Ill just snap some quick photos with my phone as I go so I can reference

Yeah I should do that but I never do. I sit what screws come out of what in what I took out and bolts back on studs ect. Works for me...most the time

Also anyone on here able to do a really really good colant flush on this thing? Dirty as hell. I've flushed it once but I think this thing needs professional help. Over my Christmas vacation I want to do the water pump on it as a preventive maintenance. Pretty sure it's the original one. Like to try a better flush then I can do at home. If it won't come clean the. Ill replace the radiator as well but would like to try a flush ect first. Rather pay someone on here with a shop then give the money to a dealership. Also need a new muffler on it. It's rotted out. Thinking of going with a mangnaflow for it. Something not crazy loud but with a nice deep tone. Maybe ips?

ryan i put a magnaflo on my 4.7 and love it... just a weld in muffler no catback, hit me up if you wanna hear it.

Yeah that's what I want to do just a weld in. And this Sunday work?

ryan I have the same jeep now we will have to meet up again and shoot the shit sometime soon, derek i would like to check it out as well

Will do. Sunday?