C6Z or Gen2 CTS-V? Why?

dover

How do the auto v's compare to the m6? I feel like I would want a manual but at the same time im wondering if auto wouldn't be the way to go. My wife would be more on board and long drives would be better. I just can't help but feel like the manual would be more fun. I have a work truck so I only drive my personal vehicle 200 miles a month at the most.

Dover, where did you sell your old V? I'm trying to find a good place to look for used ones.

Only the 2nd gen (2009 up) comes in an auto FYI

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the automatic in the gen 2 ctsv is very nice. you would be hard-pressed to run faster with the 6speed. not saying it cant be done, but its not likely. once the tires get warm, with the auto in sport mode, this car launches VERY well. in normal mode, the car always starts in 2nd gear, and shifts like butter. in sport mode, the car starts in first (obviously) and the shifts are noticeably firmer, but not overbearing by any means

Damn Kirk, here I thought I had my mind set on a Z and your description and experiences with the V have me torn again! The weight is really what is pushing me away from the V. But if, like you said, it feels lighter then it is I may have to bite the bullet. I really want a 6 speed car but an auto wouldn't be terrible. I definitely would have to get the Recaro's. I went looked at V's back when they first released the gen2 and really loved those seats. If I ended up getting a Z the interior and seats would be my first modifications.

If you go with the V you should really consider Matt's (MMz06) car if he is really interested in selling. I detailed it last year and the thing is REALLY nice, completely covered in clear bra, great condition inside and out. I believe it was built by Jamie in cleveland and is both fast and reliable.

How do the auto v's compare to the m6? I feel like I would want a manual but at the same time im wondering if auto wouldn't be the way to go. My wife would be more on board and long drives would be better. I just can't help but feel like the manual would be more fun. I have a work truck so I only drive my personal vehicle 200 miles a month at the most.

Dover, where did you sell your old V? I'm trying to find a good place to look for used ones.

I sold mine to a guy out of state, there are some good deals on Gen1 CTS-V's on LS1tech though.

If you go with the V you should really consider Matt's (MMz06) car if he is really interested in selling. I detailed it last year and the thing is REALLY nice, completely covered in clear bra, great condition inside and out. I believe it was built by Jamie in cleveland and is both fast and reliable.

I have spoken with him a couple times, and received pictures and a mod list. The car is beautiful, but I'm still more swaying towards a Z right now. I plan to wait till the C7 release to see if prices are going to change at all. A V is still an option but I need to give it some more serious thought.

I miss seeing that car up here. Nicest V I have ever seen in person.

I have spoken with him a couple times, and received pictures and a mod list. The car is beautiful, but I'm still more swaying towards a Z right now. I plan to wait till the C7 release to see if prices are going to change at all. A V is still an option but I need to give it some more serious thought.

Well my personal opinion is that "Do Everything" cars are a bad decision for a weekend only car. I had two of them at the same time I had a sports car, none of them used as daily drivers and every time I went to drive something on the weekends it was the sports car only because it just stirs the soul every drive no matter how impractical it is. One of my Do Everything cars has already left the garage and the other's time is limited.

But if you decide on the V, Matt's is an outstanding example and should be at the top of your list.

Well my personal opinion is that "Do Everything" cars are a bad decision for a weekend only car. I had two of them at the same time I had a sports car, none of them used as daily drivers and every time I went to drive something on the weekends it was the sports car only because it just stirs the soul every drive no matter how impractical it is. One of my Do Everything cars has already left the garage and the other's time is limited.

But if you decide on the V, Matt's is an outstanding example and should be at the top of your list.

sounds like a good m3 replacement there andrew...

good advice here. if its only a weekend car, and will see very little daily usage, then the z is the choice. the ctsv just makes that good of a daily driver if i could only have one nice car in my stable, it would be the cts-v. when i want to go out and make trouble, the z-06 gets the nod

I'd steer clear of the gt500 for sure. Mine is still at the dealership right now, getting a new rear gear set for whining gears. I may sell it, lemon it out, or simply gut the fuck out of it and turn it into a street legal cobra jet just because it would hilarious to do so. The zl1 looks like shit, but if it drives at all like the ctsv, then it is probably a better overall car compared to the gt500. Only buy the gt500 if you want a straight line, drag car.

If you're considering a gt500, you should get a ctsv. Same cost (relatively). Caddy looks better, handles better, brakes better, can fit 4-5 people, looks great valet parked outside a nice restaurant, looks great if you ever take clients/people out at work, is not overly common, and can be just as fast as the gt500 with a simple pulley swap. Interior is better. It's an lsx, so you know it can be modded as extensively as you want, and comes with a great auto as well

Thanks for the info Kirk! :thumbup: