Scrap Metal, Seperating, Where and what are the Avg Prices?

neonkiller

So Lets just say I have acquired around 1000lbs the last couple days of work. Mostly Steel , Alloy and Stainless and a couple sinks and a bath tub.

First Question, The bathtub I have is forsure steel but It has a white coating on it like porcelain? What do I do with that and will the scrap yard take it?

#2. I know the difference between Aluminum and Steel and stainless but what is the difference between galvanized steel and reg steel?

#3. What will a magnet tell me about the type of steel? More Money?

#4. What is considered "shredder Metal?.

Im trying to fill my garage up literally to the ceiling before I take my stuff to the scrap yard and keep checking the market for the best prices. Im sure by then I will have around 4-6k lbs of this shit I will have to seperate and take too the scrap yard. I would just like to get an Idea of all of this that way Im not getting ripped off and can pocket a little change.

So Lets just say I have acquired around 1000lbs the last couple days of work. Mostly Steel , Alloy and Stainless and a couple sinks and a bath tub.

First Question, The bathtub I have is forsure steel but It has a white coating on it like porcelain? What do I do with that and will the scrap yard take it?

Yes they'd take it. You sure its not cast iron?

#2. I know the difference between Aluminum and Steel and stainless but what is the difference between galvanized steel and reg steel?

Not sure if serious...? Galvanized has a coating easily serparated so does galvanneal

#3. What will a magnet tell me about the type of steel? More Money?

all steel should be magnetic

not all stainless is. Usually you find 304 stainless or maybe 409. 316L is $$

#4. What is considered "shredder Metal?.

Im trying to fill my garage up literally to the ceiling before I take my stuff to the scrap yard and keep checking the market for the best prices. Im sure by then I will have around 4-6k lbs of this shit I will have to seperate and take too the scrap yard. I would just like to get an Idea of all of this that way Im not getting ripped off and can pocket a little change.

Im sure your best places to go are ACE on groveport rd or Columbus Auto Shredding on Alum creek. Its been awhile since I was in the scrapping game but I did recently check prices and believe they were paying somewhere around 240-260 for sheet/ton

Sweet thanks I wanna get around 4tons before I make the trip so far this is just some extra income.:masturboy:

The best price I have heard for scrap steel is $150/ton. At 1000 lbs, you are looking at $75 top minus your time, cost for fuel, and cost for wear & tear on your vehicle/truck.

Whoop dee doo.

I guess its a good thing my trailer can dump 10k lbs

SPL josh where you located in town shit Id pick it up weekly too keep it out of your way.

Critter u got my number:)

I guess its a good thing my trailer can dump 10k lbs

SPL josh where you located in town shit Id pick it up weekly too keep it out of your way.

Critter u got my number:)

It was just parts, 4" aluminized steel exhaust, front forks off a bike, and several random things.

We recycle our metals at work, i personally dont usually have alot of scrap.

I've always had good luck with ACE on Groveport Rd giving the best prices but it is normally a wait and great time to people watching.

On a similar note, where is a good place to get cheap clean scrap steel? Just bought this TIG and need some cheap scraps to practice. I was thinking of going back to Research Alloy unless others have better places.

I took a small load of sheet scrap in about 3 weks ago and Ace paid 120 a ton for it. Not even worth the $$$ but I had to get it out of the way. I took a load of I beams in last week and they paid 220 a ton for that. Rotors and other heavy steel pay more than that. I would expect to see around 240-250 a ton right now for that. If you're going to hoard your metal I would highly reccomend keeping it all seperated and as neat as possible. Stack all your drums and such. I wonder how many people here haul scrap? Would it be worth the time/trouble to start a scrap price thread?

Its way too easy. I went down last week with just a couple pieces of copper and a couple water heaters and walked out with 120 bucks.

I went to a place off 5th by the airport with a truck bed half filled with copper wire. We walked out with 12k cash. Talk about watching your back. Lol

Scrap prices have been falling lately. We use William Thomas Group let me know if you need a contact, they pick it up for us and send us a check. I scrap 20-40tons a month generating anywhere from 10k-30k. Typically all that needs sperated is aluminum from the steel. I would recommend not using any of the places mentioned so far the prices ive read on here are way below what you can get if you strike a relationship up with the right company.

If anyone wants to donate scrap holla LOL.

I've always had good luck with ACE on Groveport Rd giving the best prices but it is normally a wait and great time to people watching.

On a similar note, where is a good place to get cheap clean scrap steel? Just bought this TIG and need some cheap scraps to practice. I was thinking of going back to Research Alloy unless others have better places.

Two places I would go to instantly:

1. Speer mechanical and Matt who is on CR works there. Super cool guy and will cut to fit for whatever specs you want which can save an ass load of time. The prices are pretty dam good considering it's cut to fit.

2. Research Alloy referred me to Columbus Pipe and Equipment because I think they may get there metal from them. I picked up 24ft of 2x3 tubing for 50-60 bucks when other places wanted 120-150 for the same box tubing. They also sell 4x8 sheets at a fraction of what most places want. They also have a giant scrap bin that you can go there and dig around in.

Scrap prices have been falling lately. We use William Thomas Group let me know if you need a contact, they pick it up for us and send us a check. I scrap 20-40tons a month generating anywhere from 10k-30k. Typically all that needs sperated is aluminum from the steel. I would recommend not using any of the places mentioned so far the prices ive read on here are way below what you can get if you strike a relationship up with the right company.

If anyone wants to donate scrap holla LOL.

Where do you work?

Two places I would go to instantly:

1. Speer mechanical and Matt who is on CR works there. Super cool guy and will cut to fit for whatever specs you want which can save an ass load of time. The prices are pretty dam good considering it's cut to fit.

2. Research Alloy referred me to Columbus Pipe and Equipment because I think they may get there metal from them. I picked up 24ft of 2x3 tubing for 50-60 bucks when other places wanted 120-150 for the same box tubing. They also sell 4x8 sheets at a fraction of what most places want. They also have a giant scrap bin that you can go there and dig around in.

I'll have to keep Columbus Pipe and Equipment in mind. I stopped by Research Alloy and was able to get what I needed this morning.

Go to Joyce...they will pay about the same as Ace.

Even if they paid better, I still wouldn't do business with Ace. They've been busted MANY times with the bronze markers used to mark veteran's gravestones...just sitting there in their yard like they were trash.