Ways to insulate a garage door

Buck531

I have an 18' door. No insulation. I'd like to find the cheapest way to insulate it.

I've heard the stories about the pre-packaged garage door insulation kits. Next.

A friend told me about just 1" ceiling tiles. He said he found them cheap but can't remember where. Lowes wants way too much.

Thought about the blue 1" thick stuff. Kinda pricey.

Any other ideas? If you did this. how much did you spend?

It would be cool if you found someone doing demo work, you could get used ceiling tiles for cheap or free. I'd use the thin boards of high density foam they use under siding, try some outlet stores like Ollies, those places always have some random shit that changes every time I find my way into one of those places.

Yeah I remember hoblick doing that. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative (hence the ceiling tiles).

It's a detached 24x24 garage.. All brick and no insulation anywhere else. I'm not going to be heating it every day. Just went I want to be in there and working on my turds.

I have an 18' door. No insulation. I'd like to find the cheapest way to insulate it.

I've heard the stories about the pre-packaged garage door insulation kits. Next.

A friend told me about just 1" ceiling tiles. He said he found them cheap but can't remember where. Lowes wants way too much.

Thought about the blue 1" thick stuff. Kinda pricey.

Any other ideas? If you did this. how much did you spend?

enlighten me. I was going to do this

I see the people giving low reviews almost universally have problems not with the product itself but the added weight; meaning they didn't take into account if the garage door (and rollers and springs, etc) can support the weight.

Another thing you could do is use some sort of plastic. Like those thick matress bags you get at Uhaul. Open em up flat and use some strong double side tape. Mount it to the inside of the frame parts to create air pockets. Would need to ensure clearance for the hinged areas though. Probably not as insulating as the foams and foils, but an air barrier can go a long way... like a double pane window.

Hell, you could do that OVER another system that infills the panels for extra insulation.

I see the people giving low reviews almost universally have problems not with the product itself but the added weight; meaning they didn't take into account if the garage door (and rollers and springs, etc) can support the weight.

that was my thought, i'd be more worried about the door not being able to hold up the extra weight unless you use light foam or something.

We sell something similar, but the HD one would be much cheaper. The only real difference is we come and measure, and the insulation panels are higher density foam so they have a higher R-value and a metal backer panel.

If you have stretch springs you would need new ones, if you have torsion springs they just need adjusted. It doesn't matter what hp your operator is, if the door doesn't balance right it will break eventually.

Also FYI, the only difference between all hp ratings of operators from 1/4-3/4hp is the capacitor that starts the motor. After the first second they are all the same.