Byers Mazda Subaru...

Cordell

What do you guys think of this place? Any experiences, know anyone there?

I have a job offer on the table, and I'm weighing out my options. This would mean lots of training and a pay increase right off the bat so I'm seriously considering it. Looking for opinions.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased a 05 wrx there back in late 04...they seemed like an okay place at the time. But I assume all of the rather large dealers are quite similar.

Get in. Get experience. IMHO get out...unless you love it.

Ben would know better. But it's like he said, things are in change there. As with anything it depends who you talk to for good and bad. Many issues with ordered cars not coming in when they should, and then some employees not being on the up an up.

Byers service has never really been an issue- just the service management. As far as I can tell things are better now there and the "firing" has stopped. They are also expanding the service bays.

Yeah that was all he could talk about, and how they can't get enough trained Subaru techs. The big upside for me is training and pay. GM training sucks, and since I didn't take GM classes after high school it makes it harder for me. Subaru seems more geared towards someone like me who is already a tech that they can train after the fact, unlike Ford, GM, Honda, and others. A lot of brands are doing training at colleges before really working, a couple guys younger then me do well with GM because they had that ahead of time and I didn't.

Anyway I'm really leaning towards doing it, but I informed them I wouldn't make a decision until next week.

For the sake of privacy of my source, I talked to him about going over there earlier this year due to my experience with Subaru and he basically talked me out of it. He told me if I was expecting to come in and do well to not make the switch because of the lapse in doing crap work until moving up the chain. Someone else went over there and made it about 8 months before leaving because they have like 2 Subaru guys that have been there since the dawn of time so to speak.

Now, I am younger than you as well, so that may have influenced what he told me. You also have more dealership experience than I do as well and may have a different out look on what he said to me.

I still thoroughly enjoy the parts guys, and we had a fantastic buying experience with the used car department for Erica's Outback.

They just fired a bunch of people. Not sure exactly what is going on over there. New building is in the works I hear for Subaru. Maybe you can make my dash quit rattling, took it in there in the summer now it rattles more. :(

Dash or is the cowling outside by the wipers? Just saying as the MS3 had what I could swear was a rattle in the dash then they eventually put a newly designed cowling on it and it ended. Got worse when cold.

I still thoroughly enjoy the parts guys, and we had a fantastic buying experience with the used car department for Erica's Outback.

^^ this. One of them had a modified STi version of that small SUV they have. It was pretty cool when I saw it.

Dash or is the cowling outside by the wipers? Just saying as the MS3 had what I could swear was a rattle in the dash then they eventually put a newly designed cowling on it and it ended. Got worse when cold.

Subarus are notorious for dash rattles. All 7 of our subies have done it.

We've purchased two cars from them, most recently about a month or two ago. Ive taken my 02 wrx there for service(recalls) and our other cars for whatever warranty work needed. The parts guys are great, as previously stated. I know a tech that worked there but isn't currently. Seems like you do have to do some basic oil change type stuff and move up but that probably depends on experience and demand? Once "subaru certified" you do more serious work than busy work.

I've worked next door at Tobin for 8 years and I know the General Manager (Mark Laub) has been there for quite a while. I'm on the variable ops side so it's what I tend to notice the most and I know most of the sales staff at Subaru has been largely the same for a while. Low turn over which is rare on the sales side. I would assume they take care of their employees based on what I know.

I've worked next door at Tobin for 8 years and I know the General Manager (Mark Laub) has been there for quite a while. I'm on the variable ops side so it's what I tend to notice the most and I know most of the sales staff at Subaru has been largely the same for a while. Low turn over which is rare on the sales side. I would assume they take care of their employees based on what I know.

Well thats good to know, thanks for posting.

I used to lot tech there years ago for a while. Bought 2 new STi's there and had countless family and friends use them for new cars. I will say this Paul Liska is not my best friend. When I worked there he tried to make my life very hard. So I would avoid him like the plague. I believe they moved him to Mazda and Tim Kerrigan (sp?) is Subaru head service now. Tim's a nice guy. I still know a lot of the main techs that have been there a while, so they don't burn through techs. That's good. It tells you there's a reason they stay there.