Byers Mazda Subaru...

Cordell

I used to lot tech there year ago for a while. Bought 2 new STi's there and had countless family and friends use them for new cars. I will say this Paul Liska is not my best friend. When I worked there he tried to make my life very hard. So I would avoid him like the plague. I believe they moved him to Mazda and Tom Kerrigan (sp?) is Subaru head service now. Tim's a nice guy. I still know a lot of the main techs that have been there a while, so they don't burn through techs. That's good. It tells you there's a reason they stay there.

Yeah I met Paul and Tim yesterday, both seemed pretty cool, you are correct, Paul is Mazda, Tim is Subaru. Didn't know you had worked there, Paul seemed a lot more old school so I don't forsee issues but I don't work there yet either. Good to know, the techs stay pretty busy from what you remember?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I met Paul and Tim yesterday, both seemed pretty cool, you are correct, Paul is Mazda, Tim is Subaru. Didn't know you had worked there, Paul seemed a lot more old school so I don't forsee issues but I don't work there yet either. Good to know, the techs stay pretty busy from what you remember?

Paul is a tool hated by many customers.

Just an FYI. As a Subaru owner he almost killed all relationship with Byers mysel and husband would ever have.

I am very happy he is Mazda only now.

Byers though as a whole I find to be respectful. I've known many employees and few were unhappy there

Scott just a thought, If you are leaving a place you are not crazy about looking now) and going to a better paying place that will put you directly into training it seems to me that even if you did not like it after say a year you would now be a better trained tech (more valuable) as well as then higher paid (may demand yet better $ when you move). Nothing is fool proof but seems like a good opportunity to me other than maybe a longer drive time (but you drive a miata so no biggy). Just my .02 though

Yeah for the most part. I think every shop has slow days, but not often from what I remember.

Paul is a tool hated by many customers.

Just an FYI. As a Subaru owner he almost killed all relationship with Byers mysel and husband would ever have.

I am very happy he is Mazda only now.

Byers though as a whole I find to be respectful. I've known many employees and few were unhappy there

Like I said I don't work there, I could see him being a bully and a PITA the way he carries himself but I know how to deal with that. Good to know though thank you.

Scott just a thought, If you are leaving a place you are not crazy about looking now) and going to a better paying place that will put you directly into training it seems to me that even if you did not like it after say a year you would now be a better trained tech (more valuable) as well as then higher paid (may demand yet better $ when you move). Nothing is fool proof but seems like a good opportunity to me other than maybe a longer drive time (but you drive a miata so no biggy). Just my .02 though

This is what I'm thinking, and is why I'm leaning heavily towards doing it.

Yeah for the most part. I think every shop has slow days, but not often from what I remember.

Very good to know, I figured since there are only 3 Subaru dealerships in town they'd have to go somewhere. Unlike GM where you are within a few miles of someone to do your warranty work.

It's not Byers, but myself and my wife are 100% happy that I left the auto world.

Maybe you should think outside the box and work on different stuff.

Lots of people leave the automotive field around our age group, however I've worked at other things, electrical, construction, debt collecting, warehouse work, forklift, and I like where I'm at compared to any of that. I'm likely going to be a lifer.

Scott, I have a good friend from HS that works there and is a Subaru tech for them. Seems pretty happy from what i can tell. At one point he left for what he thought was a better opportunity at Germain and quickly came back to Byers.

I can put you in touch with him if you want.

Scott, I have a good friend from HS that works there and is a Subaru tech for them. Seems pretty happy from what i can tell. At one point he left for what he thought was a better opportunity at Germain and quickly came back to Byers.

I can put you in touch with him if you want.

Wow, that would be cool. Let me know.

Lots of people leave the automotive field around our age group, however I've worked at other things, electrical, construction, debt collecting, warehouse work, forklift, and I like where I'm at compared to any of that. I'm likely going to be a lifer.

But your main concern with leaving GM is not having enough work. Your going to have that anywhere you go.

I would rather go to carmax than another dealer. Paid hourly

But your main concern with leaving GM is not having enough work. Your going to have that anywhere you go.

I would rather go to carmax than another dealer. Paid hourly

It's not just that, the way things have changed at Dave Gill has put a big impact on how work is distributed in the shop. I was consistantly in the top 3 guys in the shop until that happened. Now everything is split up and I get much fewer opportunities for upsells and gravey work, because I'm not even allowed to do oil changes when I'm dead and nobody knows this service advisor they have me working for now. Guy couldn't find orders to write in a parking lot full of junk cars. Not to mention the lies I was fed about my ASE certs, and I don't need the "I told you so" you were right they fucked me.

That is why I'm done here.

It's not just that, the way things have changed at Dave Gill has put a big impact on how work is distributed in the shop. I was consistantly in the top 3 guys in the shop until that happened. Now everything is split up and I get much fewer opportunities for upsells and gravey work, because I'm not even allowed to do oil changes when I'm dead and nobody knows this service advisor they have me working for now. Guy couldn't find orders to write in a parking lot full of junk cars. Not to mention the lies I was fed about my ASE certs, and I don't need the "I told you so" you were right they fucked me.

That is why I'm done here.

I dealt with the same shit at both Toyota dealerships. New writers, no one could sell.

I wish Dave gill would have paid you for your ase's. That sucks.

I dealt with the same shit at both Toyota dealerships. New writers, no one could sell.

I wish Dave gill would have paid you for your ase's. That sucks.

It was good, just makes no sense to take your top service writer and demote him because he pisses you off personally. Is basically what it boiled down to, Laurie Gill is pushing her weight around and its pretty obvious in the way she treats him.

At this point I'll just take my chances elsewhere, 30 hours of warranty work on Subarus is still better then 20 hours of bullshit.

Dash or is the cowling outside by the wipers? Just saying as the MS3 had what I could swear was a rattle in the dash then they eventually put a newly designed cowling on it and it ended. Got worse when cold.

Did yours sound like it was coming from toward the radio area? Kind of a metal sound almost? I've had a dash rattle for a while now and the local Mazda dealer has taken the entire dash apart 3 different times. They still can't figure out what it is.

Did yours sound like it was coming from toward the radio area? Kind of a metal sound almost? I've had a dash rattle for a while now and the local Mazda dealer has taken the entire dash apart 3 different times. They still can't figure out what it is.

The piano black molding "creaked" but I removed all of it after I first heard it and applied felt pads to the back then clipped it all back in place. Car has zero creaks or anything inside. Very solid.

The initial cowling issue sounded like it was the dash up by the defroster vent.

The piano black molding "creaked" but I removed all of it after I first heard it and applied felt pads to the back then clipped it all back in place. Car has zero creaks or anything inside. Very solid.

The initial cowling issue sounded like it was the dash up by the defroster vent.

Interesting. Mine is making an odd metal on metal rattling noise that seems like it's coming from the radio display screen. Had the dealer take a look, they took my dash apart 3 times and said "we don't know how we fixed it, but it stopped rattling after the third reassembly." Then it came back two weeks later.

Interesting. Mine is making an odd metal on metal rattling noise that seems like it's coming from the radio display screen. Had the dealer take a look' date=' they took my dash apart 3 times and said "we don't know how we fixed it, but it stopped rattling after the third reassembly." Then it came back two weeks later.[/quote']

there's a tsb for the wiper cowel. I have it on my PC and can look for it.

^^ this. One of them had a modified STi version of that small SUV they have. It was pretty cool when I saw it.

That was probably Rudy's forester XT. The car was totaled a few years ago (not by him) and I heard he doesn't work there as of a few weeks ago. He's a really nice guy, helped me with a lot of parts and stuff.

Scott, keep in mind you'll have to deal with Subaru owners: unwashed Obama-supporting alt-life types with NPR travel mugs, shitstains from their pug dogs, and bumperstickers that promote tolerance and love to all on one side, with multiple layers of "Bush is the devil", "Keep your laws off my vageen", and "ENDLESS WAR" stickers on the other. :D

At least, that's the Forester types...;)

Scott, keep in mind you'll have to deal with Subaru owners: unwashed Obama-supporting alt-life types with NPR travel mugs, shitstains from their pug dogs, and bumperstickers that promote tolerance and love to all on one side, with multiple layers of "Bush is the devil", "Keep your laws off my vageen", and "ENDLESS WAR" stickers on the other. :D

At least, that's the Forester types...;)

thanks for making me spit coffee out on my desk