Hawaii - realistic money

nurkvinny

I did 6 days in hawaii and did lots of activities including 2 cruises a luao the seaworld type place rented a dodge viper and more for ~4 grand maybe a touch over. I stayed in a lower end hotel but the place was nice . good beds clean. Was walking distance to the beach.

My wife and I rented a house on the North Shore (Oahu) for 7 days back in June, split it with my brother and his wife, and the total trip ran us around $5K. :nod:

We had a good time, but honestly, a similar vacation in the Caribbean would have been about half the price and MUCH less travel time. You burn a day each way in travel and then there's the time zone differences... :(

Maybe take a look at the travel hacking thread.

yup, only reason to pay for lodging is if you want to go somewhere special. Airfare can be discounted or free if you are willing to put in some effort.

My goal is Hawaii in 5 years, only paying for food and entertainment.

I basically grew up in Hawaii and have been to the outer islands around 100 times for sports. The figure of 5-7k is about dead on. Air travel like mentioned above is 1-2k. You should expect to pay 60-100 bucks a day for cheap rental car, 100-200 per night for a decent hotel. You can find older hotels across the street from the hilton in Waikiki for 75-90 a night. I would personally stay away from anything touristy especially luau's. To really see the island, you should find a rental car and explore everything. There are mind blowing hiking trails and natural beauty all over the place. The north shore during this time of the year is amazing because of the big surf and the place is the surfing hot spot for the world during this time of the year. Words cannot describe to see a wave with a 40-60 foot tall face.

If you need any recommendations for restaurants, just hit me up because I can point to to hole in the walls to high end places. My parents are there right now and I can easily shoot them a phone call to find out more.

Fyi, there is tons of night life to get yourself in all sorts of trouble into... especially the titty bars. Clubs and bars out there close a 4 am and there are a few underground after hour places that stay open till God knows when.

Stayed for 7 days in Maui at the Hyatt with flight and rental car we spent just under 3k. Costco travel FTW, no matter where we searched their package was unbelievably cheaper and we had no issues at all with our ocean front room at the hyatt. We were in vegas for a few days prior so we flew out of vegas. So Id say it would of been 4-7 hundred more out of port columbus id say

I am looking for real-world input into what folks have spent for a couple's trip to Hawaii. Not cheap and not high-end, just a trip for a married couple for a week. $2500? $5000?

Have been several times. If you're only going for a week, I'd plan on $5k all in for a decent trip. I will say if you can, stay for 2 weeks and make it an all-in vacation even if it's your only one for the year. We never go for less than 2 weeks as you do lose 2 days just getting there and back and the time change will dampen the first 1-2 and unfortunately the plan tickets aren't cheap. It's also nice to go for a long time if it's your first time as you will have a chance to hit all the islands and not only see the touristy stuff but find some good more private things as well.

If money isn't there for that, then I would even consider doing something state-side and hitting a really nice place / spend more on other things like dinner and venues. Quality vs quantity when money is a concern.

Just my two cents.

I go every year.

Airfare - Free (I fly all the time)

Hotel - Free (goes with the flying all the time, staying all the time)

Rental Car - Free (see above)

Food. Well, food can be expensive or cheap but figure $15/person/meal and you should be in the ball park.

Airfare and Hotel are easy enough for you to calculate. Its the food and excursions that cost you the money. If you go to somewhere like Waikoloa Village Hilton, its expensive but, you can stay on property and have a blast...

I guess knowing what you want to achieve is going to help us.