02 Cadillac sts

The_buster

A guy stopped in with check engine light on, had code 410 secondary air injection malfunction. He offered me the car for $5,000. I told him I don't have that but come tax time would have between 4-5k and we are looking for a bigger family car. Anyone know of any reasons not to get the car? It has 102k and fully loaded leather and chrome rims. The back two windows don't work that's the only flaw besides check engine light stuff.

The Northstar is a fantastic engine! Like many others, Subaru, Toyota, BMW to name a few they did put the head studs in the aluminum block without iron inserts. Just check out which manufacturers Timesert makes a kit for and you will get an idea as to how common this is.

Over time and coolant leakage/seepage can cause porosity in the aluminum and let the studs loosen. You can guess what happens next. I've owned a 2001 DTS from new and had to pull the heads and use Timeserts to fix it. With it repaired and you are good to go. Once inside the piston tops were clean and with over 100K there was still nice cross-hatching on the cylinder wall, I was very impressed. Not even a hint of buildup on the lip of the liner either.

The rear windows are common and a pretty easy fix.

Its tough to get that much technology and luxury for that kind of money.

Do your homework, read up on the Cadillacforums.com and you will be good.

Outside of the headgasket issues (which were more or less resolved in 2000/2001 Northstarts and the 4t80e transmission they are mated to are more or less bullet proof. The amount of downright abuse mine withstood in my younger years was mind boggling.

Get an accord or Camry and thank me later.

+1000

as much as i hate to say this, you need a tiny, foreign economy car bro. not to be a total prick, but wtf are you thinking, considering buying a 11 year old p.o.s., failed, abortion of a car. this, coming from a guy who owns two caddy's