WWCRD - New Business edition

BigOxley

If you were to open a new business, not franchise, in Cbus what would it be? Is there a need not fulfilled local?

I would think one of largest deciding factors would be based on the person opening the business and what their given skill set is.

I mean, there has to be a market sure... But I rather be the BEST in a crowded market, than the worst in an emerging market that I hopped into to avoid competition.

If a market goes under served someone will eventually find out and come bringing value.

Edited by 2highpsi

Tech side of things would be my focus. Tons of opportunity out there and you can reach the masses.

Here is a project I've been working on for a little while. Not 100% complete yet but aims to solve a huge problem with the workforce IMO. Our current focus is hourly wage and part time positions but we are working on expanding into skilled trades as well.

http://www.applyforce.com/ (Applicant side)

http://www.applyforce.com/site/employer (Employer side)

Tech side of things would be my focus. Tons of opportunity out there and you can reach the masses.

Here is a project I've been working on for a little while. Not 100% complete yet but aims to solve a huge problem with the workforce IMO. Our current focus is hourly wage and part time positions but we are working on expanding into skilled trades as well.

Yeah, I would guess tech would be the way to go.

Or do the opposite to doom the country...

I've thought of making a low-life 1-stop super center. Check cashing and paycheck advance, pawnshop, bail/bonds, liquor store, rapid refund tax service, Hi-Point firearms vendor, quickmart and convenience items, automobile towing and repossession, etc., the institutions that thrive on people making poor decisions.

Say a dumbass gets his car towed and doesn't have cash to get it out - hey, the pay check advance place is right next door. Dumbass can get his POS out of the lot and still have money to swing by the liquor store next door. Can also get junkfood and scratch-off tickets at the convenience store. The idea is that the separate businesses in close proximity act together as a force multiplier.

I have many ideas…

In the entertainment sector:

A good indoor go-kart venue + an outdoor karting track. Add food places such as Raising Canes, etc. and you will kill.

Long-term, expand to more food and possibly a real track for cars.

In the tech sector, 2 ideas:

There are a few mobile app developers in town but none offer truly turnkey solutions to quickly deploy apps. Make several frameworks to support various industries (such as the event industry).

Data recovery for hard drives. Anyone do this in town? Could be a lucrative niche.

Service sector:

A quick but somewhat high-end detail shop that uses safe, modern techniques and can turn over cars quickly.

Ever hear of Delta Sonic up in the Northeast? They don't franchise out but they are ripe to have someone copy their business model.

http://www.deltasoniccarwash.com

Serious potential there especially if you can segregate your place as being safer/better than all the hack-shops/dealers in town.

I have many ideas…

In the entertainment sector:

A good indoor go-kart venue + an outdoor karting track. Add food places such as Raising Canes, etc. and you will kill.

Long-term, expand to more food and possibly a real track for cars.

In the tech sector, 2 ideas:

There are a few mobile app developers in town but none offer truly turnkey solutions to quickly deploy apps. Make several frameworks to support various industries (such as the event industry).

Data recovery for hard drives. Anyone do this in town? Could be a lucrative niche.

Service sector:

A quick but somewhat high-end detail shop that uses safe, modern techniques and can turn over cars quickly.

Ever hear of Delta Sonic up in the Northeast? They don't franchise out but they are ripe to have someone copy their business model.

http://www.deltasoniccarwash.com

Serious potential there especially if you can segregate your place as being safer/better than all the hack-shops/dealers in town.

Came here to post about the exact same thing. My work is done here. Carry on.

I'm working on a similar project for healthcare (I was VP of a recruiting firm for 2 years). There is a specific niche that is extremely (completely) underserved by this technology. We should talk.

FOOD TRUCKS!!!! One mexican, one anything grilled cheese mm.

food trucks were boss growing up in california

Not much to start up or maintain, just got to find the clientele

Not large enough, not enough money in it. What's a food truck do in revenue? 2-300k? Meaning you make 30-50k as an income? Think larger....

Fast food is too fast and resaraunts are too slow... Trendy lined walls (Places like chipotle, piada) seem to be catching people's attention... Though... I'd never get into the food industry.

Maybe a brewery? Columbus people like niche things... beer is one of them. Small/local enough to create a buzz.... And could grow to be the next Sam Adams with the right mind behind it. Think global.

Besides... Look how many gourmet beer and pizza bars are popping up. You will only see more too.

Food trucks, just checked, seem to run about 80K. Heck for that I can re-outfit a leased site.

Me? I have been obsessed with doing a BBQ joint. I know, I know, we already have a few. I think kicking ass in a populated genre is doable. I am thinking start small, target carry out biz over dine in. Maybe 15 tables. No wait staff period. Then if things pickup expand into an informal bar in conjunction featuring local music. Biz plan has already been done. Money is there but it has a 90 day wait period from when I quit my day job (where the funding is coming from). Start out lean and mean with little debt or investors. Sure it is harder BUT if it works the lack of debt would make it easier to evolve as time goes on. heck I even have most of the menu down with recipes I have played with over the years.

Pipe dream for sure but a dude can dream right lol?

Oh, another ski and or snowboard shop would be nice. Aspen has almost 100% of that market share right now (of the niche shops). You could incorporate a discoutn plan at local venues as well thus linking larger corps with yours and potentially creating a "draw"....

Or do the opposite to doom the country...

I've thought of making a low-life 1-stop super center. Check cashing and paycheck advance, pawnshop, bail/bonds, liquor store, rapid refund tax service, Hi-Point firearms vendor, quickmart and convenience items, automobile towing and repossession, etc., the institutions that thrive on people making poor decisions.

Say a dumbass gets his car towed and doesn't have cash to get it out - hey, the pay check advance place is right next door. Dumbass can get his POS out of the lot and still have money to swing by the liquor store next door. Can also get junkfood and scratch-off tickets at the convenience store. The idea is that the separate businesses in close proximity act together as a force multiplier.

This made me laugh, mainly because I have a friend that has assembled a combination of business you mention above all in close proximity to each other. (Pawn shop, 2 cash advance places, buy-here-pay-here used car lot).