Recommend a car for a friend

caseyctsv

A guy at work is looking for a car and wanted my recommendation. I tend to be biased so thought I would put it here for your opinions. His preferences may be tough to hit with his budget.

- prefers AWD but not a deal killer

- roomy - has 3 kids

- decent on gas

- reliable (dude cannot do any wrenching on his own)

- 12k budget

- here's the hard one: "somewhat cool"

He was looking for an Audi A4 Avant but I don't think that is the best option given he wants it to be reliable and cannot work on it himself. I love me some Avant but they are not recognized as dependable from what I have read. He owned a Subaru Legacy and was not a fan. Options?

I see 12k budget and reliable (long term) as two criteria that don't easily go hand in hand.

You guys know I love my Audi but the A4 doesn't have the best rear leg room esp if you're trying to put 3 people back there on a regular basis.

E39 5 series maybe (they make a wagon in that body too)....get a 525 or 530 as the i6 BMW motor is a solid, reliable motor. **NOT AWD though**

I'm sure there is some American Iron out there that probably fits the bill much better I'm just not educated on the choices.

Edited by AudiOn19s

He needs to realize his needs (budget, size, long term reliability) cancel out his wants (AWD, cool car).

He should look at a newer Hyundai Elantra Touring or Mazda 5, something in that weird limbo between minivan and wagon.

If he ends up deciding a "cool car" is important, he'll probably end up needing some maintenance so I'd suggest dropping his budget to $10k and reserving the extra $ for maintenance down the road.

When someone says "reliable" to me, the car opposite that is a German car.

Get a Jap car.

Mazda 5

Mini Van

This. I have helped a friend on 2 VWs with the 1.8/2.0 t. He called them the "angry Germans" as they consistently gave him issues and were a nightmare to work on. Helped him put both in "service mode" I.e remove the front clip to work on them.