which would be a better choice?

The_buster

We did some very rough estimating, mostly guessing, and think we will be getting about 4-4200 on taxes. We need a newer car as I've been posting about and the wife wants to spend around 2500-3000 on one so we have money to fix stuff with.. I'm afraid that if we dip that low in price were going to end up with two pos cars.. I think that cars in the 3-4 range are going to be better mechanically/ cosmetically, cosmetic doesn't matter to either of us as long as its good mechanically. So which would be the better option?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah already looked at the beemer. she found a lancer she liked... how are dsm cars? all i hear at work are the honda boys bashing them

Do not buy a DSM for a daily driver.

Honestly, find a GTP or grand prix or something. Those 3800 series motors will last a long time, easy to work on, and even have decent power for merging on the highway.

Honestly, find a GTP or grand prix or something. Those 3800 series motors will last a long time, easy to work on, and even have decent power for merging on the highway.

Nice stealth edit, but correct. I would spend more time learning what to look for when purchasing cars. You can get a pretty decent car for 3k if you know what to watch out for (for instance, a sensor shoved in a hole cut in the air filter should be a clear indicator to walk away).

except for the PITA intake gaskets leaking coolant.

wait until you actually do your taxes that way you'll have a better idea on what to look for

Miss my 96. 4.0 I6 was the lowest maintenance, best performing engine I've owned to date.* In the 5 years I owned it all I had to do was replace a water pump and it was a quick and affordable fix.

*Haven't owned this tree fiddy long enough to find out if it's more reliable.

Hate to be that guy and normally I would NEVER recommend it,....but you sound like a prime example for a cheap lease.

If you have steady income and decent credit, go lease something for $99-199 a month for 2 or 3 years and you'll be better off in the long run when you both finish school and have a higher salary.

Again, I would normally NEVER recommend a lease but with your luck I see this happening. You buy a car for $3-6k and end up having problem after problem with it and never stop paying. YOu could lease a new car and pay the same maybe less over 3-years for a much better car. Now that is if you are working on improving your financial situation, school, education, etc...etc...it would only be temporary but again I don't know your story so just would throw the idea out...