Where to live in the Dayton area?

acklac7

Got Family moving back to Ohio in the next few weeks, looks like they're going to be staying in Dayton for at least a year, if not permanently. No offense but personally i've heard most of Dayton is a shithole (from people that live there) any ideas on where to live? what to watch out for? what areas to avoid?

I lived there for my whole life up until September. Depends on if you want to live IN Dayton or around it. I myself was from Tipp City which is roughly 20 minutes north of downtown Dayton. It's a very nice town and literally no crime, maybe 1-2 burglaries, but that's rare.

Places to be in:

Oakwood, Beavercreek, Kettering, Springboro, Centerville, Tipp City, some areas of Troy, along with Huber Heights, Vandalia and West Milton. Basically for a majority, Dayton isn't awful, just stay away from Northridge, Old North Dayton, Burkhardt, Riverdale, Belmont, Five Oaks, Salem, Anywhere in the Corp. of Dayton, whether it be east or west side.

Sounds like a lot of areas, but in reality they are all basically in one small area, just the specific community names.

Post up where they will be moving to or what area they will be working in and I'll try and get you some info as far as best bets for an area to live.

Tipp City is an awesome community, I grew up in a township just outside of it, Bethel Township. Bethel would be an awesome place, but from what I've heard the cuts have been fairly deep, and has taken a toll on the quality of education. Bethel is a very small school, 70-90 kids in most graduating classes. Tipp is fairly small for most peoples liking, but they have awesome schools, and are far enough away from Dayton to avoid crime, but still close to areas that have stuff to do. Tipp City has really grown in the last 5-7 years, new high school, a lot of roadway projects, awesome city gov't. If I ever had the opportunity after college and I could land a job there, I wouldn't hesitate to raise a family in Tipp, or Troy for that matter.

Huber is meh. Their school levies can't pass, and they just built a brand new school they cant afford so taxes are going to go through the roof. Not much crime in Huber, but a lot of the inner city attitude is prevalent, and the schools are terrible. I think for my graduating class they had maybe 50% pass their OGT's on the first 2 tries.

On the southside Centerville and Springboro are nice. This also gets you closer to Cincinnati (it takes about 40 mins to get from Springboro to downtown Cincy).

Geeesammy nailed all the good cities, and evil8 nailed the general rule of thumb for any city.

I guess for now they're going to be staying the Miamisburg area, which appears to be quite a bit south of Dayton. That said im fully expecting them to purchase a house either there or somewhere else near Dayton in the next year or so.

How are the Cops? Slimy sneaky bastards like the Highway patrol? or laid back and chilled out like CPD? - not that I get into alot of trouble but Im always driving something sporty and tend to speed/get pulled over a decent amount, anymore I usually just get let go with a warning.

Also looks like 70 to 675 is going to be the best way to get to Miamisburg, how's the traffic? Should be going back and forth alot here in the next 6 months as the family has been out west (1800 miles) for the past three years.

I guess for now they're going to be staying the Miamisburg area, which appears to be quite a bit south of Dayton. That said im fully expecting them to purchase a house either there or somewhere else near Dayton in the next year or so.

How are the Cops? Slimy sneaky bastards like the Highway patrol? or laid back and chilled out like CPD? - not that I get into alot of trouble but Im always driving something sporty and tend to speed/get pulled over a decent amount, anymore I usually just get let go with a warning.

Also looks like 70 to 665 is going to be the best way to get to Miamisburg, how's the traffic? Should be going back and forth alot here in the next 6 months as the family has been out west (1800 miles) for the past three years.

The 'Burg is nice. Kind of like Tipp as far as distance to things go. 75 is a clusterfuck of construction along with 35. The cops have nothing better to do, a lot of sheriffs mainly. Typical bullshit "I had nothing better to do, you were going 57 in a 55."

Got Family moving back to Ohio in the next few weeks, looks like they're going to be staying in Dayton for at least a year, if not permanently. No offense but personally i've heard most of Dayton is a shithole (from people that live there) any ideas on where to live? what to watch out for? what areas to avoid?

I lived in dayton my whole life. There are quite a diverse types of neighborhoods.

Where will they be working, what level of housing prices, kids in school?

I grew up in Beavercreek

Dayton is NOT doing well financially. GM pulled out, NCR left, Reynolds and Reynolds scaled back a huge amount as well as WPAFB. The last 10 years have been hard on dayton.

I however had a great childhood, and would move back to be near my entire family. Yards are bigger, You can get more house for less money.. You just have to know whwer to shop.

That being said The High End neighborhoods are 175-300K+ houses- Bellbrook, Centerville, Beavercreek, Oakwood and Parts of Vandalia...

Middle of the road upper/middle income area- parts of Oakwood, Kettering and parts of fairborn.125-175K,

Lower Income but still decent- 70-140K Kettering, Fairborn, Huber Heights, Miamsburg

Lower Income- slightly shady but has decent areas if you are willing to look, Xenia, Huber Heights, Riverside, belmont, West Carrolton

Countryesque Living areas, Waynesville, Xenia, Springboro

The south side of Dayton is DEFINITLY preferable to the North-west side of dayton

Ask me anything. I have knowledge.

You can get to ANY of the Suburbs of Dayton from central dayton in 15-20 mins.

Traffic in Dayton. If its not rush hour, don't worry about it.

I use 675 for just about everything i do in dayton, or 35, I avoid 75, its such a clusterfuck of construction all the time..

Dayton is NOT doing well financially. GM pulled out, NCR left, Reynolds and Reynolds scaled back a huge amount as well as WPAFB. The last 10 years have been hard on dayton.

Yea, was aware Dayton was on the decline, tbh was a little concerned about them moving there myself, although it's much better then some of the "Government" towns out West where they were living (The Wild West is a crazy, crazy place)

Father-in-law is doing long-term contract work with Lexus-Nexis, Mother is going to be working for a Cincinnati firm in HR/Recruiting. Overall they say they want to buy property (40+ acres) somewhere in southern Ohio, but they've been saying that for years. Got my sister living in Cinci, and me and my Father living here in C-bus, so the Dayton area seems to be a good middle ground (we've always been a close-knit family until the big move out west). Also Father is looking to potentially move there (Dayton/Cinci area) here in a few years, as he would like to be closer to my sister, but im worried about the Health care as he is a stage 3 cancer survivor (OSU has been top-notch, aside from there billing department, which might as well be run by Jamie Diamon)

- Thanks for everyone's responses thusfar

Tipp City and Huber Heights are the nicer areas, as far as I've heard...

Stay north of I70 and you'll be fine.

I lived there for my whole life up until September. Depends on if you want to live IN Dayton or around it. I myself was from Tipp City which is roughly 20 minutes north of downtown Dayton. It's a very nice town and literally no crime, maybe 1-2 burglaries, but that's rare.

Places to be in:

Oakwood, Beavercreek, Kettering, Springboro, Centerville, Tipp City, some areas of Troy, along with Huber Heights, Vandalia and West Milton. Basically for a majority, Dayton isn't awful, just stay away from Northridge, Old North Dayton, Burkhardt, Riverdale, Belmont, Five Oaks, Salem, Anywhere in the Corp. of Dayton, whether it be east or west side.

Sounds like a lot of areas, but in reality they are all basically in one small area, just the specific community names.

Post up where they will be moving to or what area they will be working in and I'll try and get you some info as far as best bets for an area to live.

This ^

Avoid Trotwood.

Also looks like 70 to 675 is going to be the best way to get to Miamisburg, how's the traffic? Should be going back and forth alot here in the next 6 months as the family has been out west (1800 miles) for the past three years.

South is good, Washington Twp. or Centerville are pretty nice area's, Springboro is just a little further to the south, and it is nice as well. Lots of OSP working 675 as of lately, watch your speed, 20+ over will get you stopped for certain..........

I have -0- issues with the Sheriff's office, never been stopped by them.