2013 VW Passat 2.0T

RS69

I went to the Detroit auto show yesterday and we are looking for the next family car. I was thinking about the Mercedes e series Blue tech, but am very serious about the 2013 VW Passat diesel. Is there anything bad about the Passat or the VW diesel. I believe the 2012 was Motor Trend's car of the year last year?

The good is the Passat is about $30k less than the Mercedes.

Let's discuss..

Where is the Passat built, hopefully not in mexico......

Edited by RS69

I don't know a lot about the VW TDI cars, but I would browse some forums and figure out how well the EGR systems and exhaust DPF or DEF system (not sure what the newest TDI's use) holds up over time. If you're buying new you will have to keep all the emissions in place to keep your warranty.

Just something to look into.

Drove the new Passat TDI as soon as it came out.

I still contend it's one of the best bargains for a family sedan, as you can get a TDI & 6MT (OR DSG!).

Rare to find a 6mt in a sedan that size nowadays, and 50mpg.

For about 30K you can get a pretty loaded TDI Passat that will seat anyone with comfort in the back seat, it's huge.

It won all kinds of awards when reviewed and generally beat out all it's competitors including the Camry/Accord ect.

For about 30K you can get a pretty loaded TDI Passat that will seat anyone with comfort in the back seat, it's huge.

While this is true, they are able to provide that room because they limited front seat travel. I can no longer comfortably fit in the Passat or Jetta, as they were bastardized with seat tracks that randomly stop for no reason...

While this is true, they are able to provide that room because they limited front seat travel. I can no longer comfortably fit in the Passat or Jetta, as they were bastardized with seat tracks that randomly stop for no reason...

Maybe, but the target audience doesn't include Ogres.

(And he said it's for his wife)

Maybe, but the target audience doesn't include Ogres.

(And he said it's for his wife)

I didn't say I was the target audience, or that the rear seat isn't monstrous, or that 99% of people won't be comfortable in the front of it.

I simply mentioned something disappointed me when we looked at them for Jess.

Oh, and EAD.

I didn't say I was the target audience, or that the rear seat isn't monstrous, or that 99% of people won't be comfortable in the front of it.

I simply mentioned something disappointed me when we looked at them for Jess.

Oh, and EAD.

And Jess would fit just fine.

:lolguy:

And Jess would fit just fine.

:lolguy:

Apparently I give you too much credit.

Why would we buy a car for her that I can't fit in? A family sedan at that. :dumb:

Jones :dumb:

I'll go ahead and get this out of the way too

Kids :dumb:

Buddy of mine who lives in Vegas who sin the Air Force just bought a 2012 Passat Diesel last year (obviously lol) and he loves it. Says he gets 40+ mpg drivin around town and the most hes ever gotten was I believe 52 mpg on the hwy. Fully loaded and the whole nine yards.

I think they're nice but too generic looking..

Drove a GTI the other night and hated the turbo lag in stop-go traffic. Hopefully the TDI will be better in that aspect.

Turbo LAG on a stock GTI?

Torque peaks at around 1700 in stock config...

Be glad you've never driven an old 80's garret turbo powered car.

Torque peaks at around 1700 in stock config...

Be glad you've never driven an old 80's garret turbo powered car.

This was a 2009 or a '10. My head was whipping back and forth so much in traffic from this. The Saab (RIP) was so much better than the GTI.

It did merge nicely, I will admit.

I'm a few minutes late, but I'll opine...

The new Passat is assembled in VW's world-class assembly facility in Chattanooga, TN. The TDI is a hell of a car...drove it as well as the 2.5/6-speed manual and it's a great platform. I'd seriously consider it (or the new diesel Mazda 6) but I gotta take a break from FWD.

Great car for the next 10+ years...

Drove a GTI the other night and hated the turbo lag in stop-go traffic.

:dumb:

You can't be serious.

Who knew?

This was a 2009 or a '10. My head was whipping back and forth so much in traffic from this. The Saab (RIP) was so much better than the GTI.

It did merge nicely, I will admit.

:dumb:

Just stop!

Don't blame the car because you can't drive.

THIS

What if his wife is the size of Aaron? :no:

He has seen my wife.

Thanks guys, please keep the reviews coming in. My wife is not too tall. I am am around 6 foot and I sat in a Passat at the Detroit auto show and was fine and there was room in the back sit behind me.