any drummers on the site?

xlr8tn

I bought my son ( 9) a cheaper set of electronic drums for xmas. Alesis DM6. You never know at this age if they're going to stick with something so I didn't want to drop a bunch of money on them only to have them sit in a corner collecting dust.

It seems he's going to stick with them. He actually can keep a pretty good beat. He made the honor roll last quarter so I wanted to buy him some double kickers for it. The problem I have is not knowing how far apart the mallets are on most double kickers. I'm sure just like anything you get what you pay for but honor roll isn't worth $800 kick pedals.....I'm thinking less than $100. :D I see some used pedals on ebay for that and a few new pedals cheaper than that. I moved his single pedal around on his head to see what the range was before he hit a dead spot. Looks like he has 2.5"-3" of room there where the mallets can strike. Is that going to be enough?

I'm regretting getting such a cheap set now but going in you don't know if they're going to actually stick with it. It's a great starter set for the money and at some point down the road we'll get him a better set but in the meantime I'd like to make this one work for him. I've played guitar 25 years but know very little when it comes to drums. Any advice you guys can give me would be appreciated.

3" might be pushing it. My beaters on my DW double pedal are really thin, and positioned pretty close but maybe a bit over 3". You may have to adjust the sensitivity of the kickpad to get the sound you want. I would try to borrow a friends pedal before I threw down on one just to make sure. However, a nice pedal you keep, and when you upgrade to a nicer set, you're good to go.

Thanks....good point on buying a better pedal. I can't believe how much some of those cost. Guess it's like anything else though. I do know 1 guy that plays. I'll ask him if he has double pedals & if i can borrow them. Might save me a headache. He may have to wait on them until he can get a better set. Realistically he's only been playing a month so he has a lot to learn with just the single. Just thought it would be a cool reward for the good grades. I also thought about buying him a cymbal & stand too. Might be a fall back reward if the pedals don't work out.

Lawnmower is still in pieces haha. I got a box of parts but need the time to mess with it. I needed the garage & moved it out to the shed & it's just kinda sat there. I think i sent u a pm when we did a cook here. Had a lot going on last year.....hopefully we'll get to do it more this year. Just had the superbowl party last week that i still haven't fully recovered from haha. Did a fish fry saturday night & sunday i smoked a butt, baby backs, beef ribs, brisket, chicken wings, & chicken legs.

• 1 month later...

got him the pedal a few weeks ago off ebay. Keep in mind he didn't start playing until after xmas and this is day 2 with the pedal. Probably not going to be the next Portnoy but for the amount of time he's been playing he doesn't do bad IMO. He's starting baseball right now so no time for lessons but after baseball season he's going to start taking lessons. I'm just glad he enjoys it.

?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

I can't get the embed to work I guess.....link if you're interested.

Im a drummer, get a roland kit and you'll never regret it. My brother has one TD-20S such a ballin kit. Can do just about anything with it. But I have my good ole acoustic kits and love em. GEt your son to take some drum lessons at Columbus Percussion if hes gonna stick with playing. He will learn a lot.

my buddy has a roland kit....they are nice. Much better than this POS but I'm going to get him an acoustic set in June for his birthday I think. The whole reason for getting the e-kit was so he could play it with headphones and not drive us bat shit crazy. Ended up setting them up in the garage so it doesn't really matter what he has out there....might as well get an acoustic set and not mess with the e-kit stuff.

We've looked at a couple places for him to take lessons. We're out in Lancaster so Pickerington area works best for us if we're going to Columbus. I'm also going to check the places out here. There's a place my buddy takes his kid to for guitar and they place them in "bands" and let them go play at places on the weekends. Pretty cool concept really and would be cool for him to do.

I've been playing guitar for 20+ years and might take some guitar lessons at the same time. I could always learn more and it's cool playing with someone that's into a different style so you can learn newer things.