WWCRD: Sitter

Rocky31186

Awhile back I posted looking for a full time sitter for my son. We picked one from reynoldsburg because she was close, cheap, and keeps her kid load small. She has 4 kids, and they are in school most of the day.

We made the "contract" 7am-5pm. That way if I had to stay after work, my wife could pick him up.

First issue, when I pick him up at 3:30 there are always a ton of different kids. "My kids have friends over after school" she says.

2nd issue, since we are technically paying from 7am-5pm, and we pick him up by 3:30. Sometimes I tell my wife, why dont you pick him up so I can work on something or go pick up groceries. Well the sitter flipped out stating the contract is until 3pm, and thats how it needs to stay as she has a family too. Ok, so I pull the contract out of the file and sure enough states 7am-5pm. She said "Well I just wrote down 5pm on accident, if you want to keep him here until 5pm you need to pay extra." Um- no.

3rd issue, you cant contact this lady by phone at all. I got called into work one morning for snow removal and called her many times with no answer.

And today the final straw. I show up 15-20 minutes early to pick up my son, No one is home? So my wife "Emails" her because she wont answer the phone. She emails back and says she had to run to the store real quick to pick up something. Ok, so I wait. She pulls up and looks guilty as FUK. My son is not with her?? We go inside and one of her young teenager kids is watching my son??

Basically there is a "2 week notice" in the contract. What are your thoughts on getting rid of this sitter?

TLDR: Oh well

Pull your kid immediately. Find someone else. Geez man.

She pulls up and looks guilty as FUK. My son is not with her?? We go inside and one of her young teenager kids is watching my son??

You might have to pony up and spend real money on an actually responsible sitter.

Awhile back I posted looking for a full time sitter for my son. We picked one from reynoldsburg because she was close, cheap, and keeps her kid load small. She has 4 kids, and they are in school most of the day.

We made the "contract" 7am-5pm. That way if I had to stay after work, my wife could pick him up.

First issue, when I pick him up at 3:30 there are always a ton of different kids. "My kids have friends over after school" she says.

2nd issue, since we are technically paying from 7am-5pm, and we pick him up by 3:30. Sometimes I tell my wife, why dont you pick him up so I can work on something or go pick up groceries. Well the sitter flipped out stating the contract is until 3pm, and thats how it needs to stay as she has a family too. Ok, so I pull the contract out of the file and sure enough states 7am-5pm. She said "Well I just wrote down 5pm on accident, if you want to keep him here until 5pm you need to pay extra." Um- no.

3rd issue, you cant contact this lady by phone at all. I got called into work one morning for snow removal and called her many times with no answer.

And today the final straw. I show up 15-20 minutes early to pick up my son, No one is home? So my wife "Emails" her because she wont answer the phone. She emails back and says she had to run to the store real quick to pick up something. Ok, so I wait. She pulls up and looks guilty as FUK. My son is not with her?? We go inside and one of her young teenager kids is watching my son??

Basically there is a "2 week notice" in the contract. What are your thoughts on getting rid of this sitter?

TLDR: Oh well

I would never take your child back there again. Pay your 2 weeks and cut your losses. Cant trust a bitch thats leaving your kid with her kids.

Tell her your taking your kid and your not paying the two weeks. If she wants to fuss about tell her that fine if she wants to be reported to Child services for child endangerment (leaving the kids unattended). Also dont respond to her via email only in person or over the phone if you have to.

Pull your kid immediately. Find someone else. Geez man.

You might have to pony up and spend real money on an actually responsible sitter.

Im honestly all for this. Except we have no way to stay off work until we find a sitter.

I feel like were stuck until we find another one.

He will be 5 months old this month --- not sure if I added that to original post.

And its not a matter of "Pony up and spend real money" We interviewed many sitters, and this is the only one that we liked at the time. By stating its "Cheap" I meant cheaper than others, and had more certifications...

So I am not cheaping out on my sons sitter, and you cant judge a book by its cover on who is responsible.

Start looking for a new sitter asap. As in 5 minutes ago. Call friends, call family, call whoever you know might be able to help.

The contract that you have with her...does it state that she will be with your son during the care she is providing? If so, she's in breach of contract for leaving your son with a teen. She signed a contract saying til 5pm, she needs you to sign it confirming you're ok with that being 3pm. Doesn't matter what she "meant" to put, if it said 5pm when you signed that's what it is.

Sounds like you're in enough of a bind that the 2 weeks may not matter as you need to find another sitter, but in a pinch you can point out she breached the contract as stated above.

Tell her your taking your kid and your not paying the two weeks. If she wants to fuss about tell her that fine if she wants to be reported to Child services for child endangerment (leaving the kids unattended). Also dont respond to her via email only in person or over the phone if you have to.

This. She has breached contract.

I wouldnt ever go back, as a parent that would be utterly irresponsible on your part to leave your 5 Mo. old with someone who will leave your child like that. The amount of care a 5 mo. old needs is well beyond the scope of a teenagers comprehension and obviously this lady. She breached her contract and you shouldn't have to pay. Besides shes probably not running a legal daycare if there are lots of kids at the house as you say. Theres a certain ratio of baby to care giver, and baby to sq ft-age in ohio you have to maintain at certain levels to be in compliance with state law for in home daycares.

It sounds like she has several issues you don't like so find a new sitter. I wouldn't see a problem leaving a baby with a teenage girl that I knew could handle it, a boy would have to be special to handle a baby, but I know lots of very capable teenage girls and they have watched my babies on many occasions.

It sounds like she has several issues you don't like so find a new sitter. I wouldn't see a problem leaving a baby with a teenage girl that I knew could handle it, a boy would have to be special to handle a baby, but I know lots of very capable teenage girls and they have watched my babies on many occasions.

I agree with you on one hand. The problem is, he isnt paying that teenager. he doesnt know if that kid knows CPR or how to call 911 or anything.

She was irresponsible with a child not her own, and was being paid to protect.

My 11 year old Austic son could watch him during the day if that's cool with you ;).

Sucks though. Get your kid out of there ASAP.

What about just a day care? Not sure why you keep messing with sitters. Go to a reputable day care and quit messing with "moms who want to watch kids to make money" deal.

Why is this even a question? I'd venture to guess that she isn't certified either, so no tax ID. Getting to write off some of your daycare expenses is nice. There is also an FSA for dependent care. Look into it.

She is certified, and we do claim on taxes.

We didn't just pick some random person to watch our son. We did full background checks and interviews with each of them.

I am not a horrible parent by still using her. We have no other option right now until we find anther sitter.

I think some of you are blowing it out of proportion, it wasn't right that her teen watched him, but I have met her teen and don't have an issue with her. The sitter just did not tell us about it.

We have more interviews this week. I got my answer, thread can be closed before this turns into a flaming war.

Rocky, why not a child care center? My wife works in the industry and LOVES researching this stuff for people. I sent you a message with my number/email. Get in contact with me and I can have her find you a quality center that works for your situation; work place locations, where you live, times needed, etc.