TWC Video Streaming Site Throttling

Rally Pat

I had to get TWC when I moved into my current apartment about a month ago, and to save a little cash I chose a 3 mbit internet connection, which is more than enough for just me. I noticed that most sites loaded pretty fast, minus streaming sites like Vimeo, YouTube, and twitch.tv. I thought it might just be my cheap internet connection or my $13 Tenda router, but then I saw this article posted on Facebook today. Apparently TWC is throttling anyone using a streaming site, even if you have their highest speed tiers. You can actually block them from doing this by following the instructions on the site. Made a night and day difference for me and several other people who saw the post I shared.

http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/time-warner-cable-sucks-for-youtube-twitchtv/

I put the IPs in the blocked list by enabling parental controls on my router. Seems to work as I checked a few videos I recently tried to watch that would only stream a few seconds in 1080p, now it fills the buffer bar at least 3x faster than video playback

Thanks for this I will try it. I will say when I work from home and watch youtube 1080 buffers a whole video within a minute at most. Anytime I watch youtube after work or weekends I am lucky to get 480 video to buffer completely.

I put the IPs in the blocked list by enabling parental controls on my router. Seems to work as I checked a few videos I recently tried to watch that would only stream a few seconds in 1080p, now it fills the buffer bar at least 3x faster than video playback

good idea!

WOW don't seem to....

Yeah I used to have WOW, they never did anything like this. I didn't have a choice when I moved in to this complex.

WOW FTW. I stream 1080 movies all the time with zero issues on their 15 down/1 up plan.

I did this on my Mac, and while it does take a few seconds for the video to begin (as the article states) I can now watch 1080 without buffering. Before, I would have to let things sit a few minutes to get all the way through just a couple minute clip.