Cheapest, lightest way to get on the highway?

zeitgeist57

Was dick's cussing this with a friend over lunch...

Keeping the Honda Ruckus and Suzuki Savage 650 (S40) in mind as relatively cheap methods to get on the highway...is there an even cheaper, possibly foldable scooter that could get itself and a 200lb person up to 55mph?

I UNDERSTAND THE SAFETY ISSUES...just curious if there is a sub $1500 (new/used) way to get a scooter into the trunk of a car.

THINGS I ALREADY REALIZE:

1) Anything with two wheels is inherently a deathtrap.

2) In communist USA, $1000 tee-ruk drives YOU!

3) What is the point of spending $1500 on something even more minimalist than a good used 650cc motorcycle?

4) If a viable method of transportation exists aside from the bus, I still won't buy it because I'm Clay.

He wants a scooter or two wheeled vehicle that goes 55mph with a 200lb person on it. And he wants it for Cheap. Oh and it needs to fit in the back of a car. (what size car because there is a big difference between a CRX trunk and a Impala trunk.

I have a Yamaha TTR 125LE that I bet one could put a light kit on, license and run on the highway...given your list of realizations of course. I am able to lift either end myself and I bet I would be able to load it in a trunk of a medium to large sized car and strap down the trunk lid. It takes up little more room than a mountain bike. No idea about it's fuel economy but it is probably real good. this model is readily available on the market in your price range even including the light kit/licensing and tie-down strap. :)

Honda MB5. 50cc 2 stroke 4speed. Can get bigger kits and easily go 65+. Plus they are hella fun. If you like sketchy then an old Puch scooter will do the trick just fine if you know what you are doing w/ 70cc kit, stuffed crank, pipe, carb, jet, intake, port and new brakes. Als shoudl throw on a brace too bc they were only made for 35 mph. Pretty much all the old 50cc scooters and mopeds are too difficult to get to 55.

Also in my opinion a Ruckus is cool but not for speed. it's for show. It's def overpriced if you talk about speed. More like 1500 for a stock one that goes 35 then after a GY6 swap, stretch etc. you are easily into it 3k. That's used sport bike money.