amber alert..alert on my phone

SRTurbo04

All of a sudden at 3 flippen am I start getting random amber alert alerts on my s3 I never sighned up for these alerts. I get a text (that I cant block) and a pop up on my tmobile s3. No joke I have gotten 23 of these alerts since 3am. Any one know how to turn this off? Also howthe heck it got on my phone? Have not download any apps or anything in a while.

Look for an app called "Emergency Alerts" or under the options menu in your text messaging app.

You'll notice that you can uncheck a few of the alerts, but "Presidential Alerts" cannot be disabled. (unless you root your phone and disable the app)

http://www.ctia.org/consumer_info/safety/index.cfm/AID/12082

From that website's FAQ:

• Can I turn off Wireless Emergency Alerts? Consumers may opt out of Imminent Threat and AMBER alerts. Per the WARN Act of 1996, Congress said that no consumer could opt out of Presidential Alerts.
    The directions for opting out of Imminent Threat and AMBER alerts vary by device and provider. Please contact your wireless service provider for instructions.

Got one amber alert in the middle of the night as well. Even though it could be annoying, i do think its a good idea to have something like this. Just gets the word out there faster and will hopefully save a kids life.

Is it worth possibly saving one child's life...

If 30 other people die in their beds of a heart attack?!??

I will say as a weather junkie I think the emergency alerts ARE a good idea. Nothing like enjoying a nice afternoon by the pool, when all the parents' phones sound the alarm that there is a Tornado Watch for our area...don't tell ME you had no clue a storm was coming!!!

I have no problem with the amber alerts. What I do have a problem with is being woken up by them. I highly doubt I'm going to be able to find a kidnapper's car from my bed with my eyes closed. Especially if he's in another state! So since the monkey who programmed the feature was too fucking lazy to give me options to tailor how the alerts are delivered, I had to turn all the alerts off.

I have no problem with the amber alerts. What I do have a problem with is being woken up by them. I highly doubt I'm going to be able to find a kidnapper's car from my bed with my eyes closed. Especially if he's in another state! So since the monkey who programmed the feature was too fucking lazy to give me options to tailor how the alerts are delivered, I had to turn all the alerts off.

Is this a joke...It's an emergency. They sound off just like any other emergency...when it's happening.