Lettuce talk ar complete uppers

criitter7

I can't argue against the Colts details. However I feel for the money there are better choices out there. I'm a little bias I guess.

People buy Colts because they know there won't be any problems with it until they've ran the piss out of it. The ones I've seen look like shit though, but that doesn't effect performance.

I can't argue against the Colts details. However I feel for the money there are better choices out there. I'm a little bias I guess.

Before all this inflated AR prices, Colt LE6920 were selling for 950-1000 new. There isn't a better choice out there for the price.

I'm pretty sure you are mistaken.. DPMS is bottom of the barrel AR. I consider it Junk. Colt is what every AR15 strives to be. Colt developed the Army's Technical Data Package (TDP) for their M4s. Every Colt rifle colt produces follows the TDP.(well not the length of the barrel and select fire lower receiver). Every good AR manufacturer follows these TDPs.

Colt's Barrel is 1x7 twist 4150 CMV Chrome lined, every barrel is MPI/HPT

DPMS is 1x9 twist 4140 CMV and not Chrome lined, they don't MPI/HPT their barrels.

That is just one of many examples..

DPMS is cheap for a reason.

I agree with this statement however on my one remaining AR I use a DPMS lower (no DPMS parts, JUST the lower receiver) and I had no quam selling a S&W MP lower and keeping this one. I have never had a problem ever, I've had a couple different 5.56 uppers on it as well as a 9mm upper of my buddy's, its perfectly within spec and has taken a beating over the last few years, not saying they don't exist but I have never heard of a problem with just the lower. LPK and barrels are junk without a doubt.

FWIW in its current state it's got a CMMG LPK and a complete rock river upper and I have no plans to change anything on it other than a RRA operator stock and a different muzzle brake to QD my form 1 can.

Back on topic I wouldn't put to much thought into not having M4 ramps, I don't and there's never been a time I wished I did. Either way you'll be happy, just make sure if you have to end up piecing one together than you don't mix and match m4 cut barrel w/ non m4 receiver or vice-versa, that's where the problems come from.

FYI - BCG are popping back up again. Got this email today. This is most likely the hardest piece to find in building your upper at the moment.

http://www.shadez-of-gray.com/weapons-parts-accessories/ar-15/upper-parts/smith-and-wesson-m-p-ar-15-bolt-carrier-assembly-in-stock/

They are available, mostly are Semi-auto BCGs. Some aren't using the carpenters No. 158 steel for the bolt and majority of them do not MPI/HPT their bolts either.

The Mil-spec bcgs. (Full Auto Carrier, Carpenters 158 MPI/HPT bolt) are still like unicorns.

I've seen a few M16 carriers out there. I know sherluk at the local pro shows in town have a few of them at each show and you can buy complete uppers from them still around 550-750 depending on your options. I have a few rifles with stripped and complete uppers from them with no problems. However I'm not sure what specific steel they're made from.

Sherluk is the lowest end china crap out there, theres a reason they are going for $500 when a campariable upper from a reputable company is twice that, there not hooking people up...Ohio company or not please dont build a rifle using any of their crap. The ONLY Sherluk part I have ever used is a $1 muzzle device crush washer.

In January I traded a dude I know a upper/built lower combo that he put a Sherluk barrel and BCG on/in and after breaking it in from the bench he's lucky to get 6" groups at 100 yards. It might work, but it doesn't work well.

I would say your best bet is to get all the email notifications you can on individual parts that aren't in stock.

I've seen BCM BCG's pop up twice in the past 2 months, Mega billet upper lower combos have become available a few times. Those are your hardest parts to get other than your barrel.

I would personally wait it out for a few months and you'll get a lot more for your money. If you don't mind spending a little bit over what pre sandy was you can definitely accomplish buying a quality upper in a private sale.

I would call the make sure they have the BCG in stock. If not, you would be sitting around 1-2 month or even longer waiting for the BCG to come back to stock before the ship.