Nice places in North Carolina

Tractor

Many of my family members have been wanting to move south for years. My wife and I are getting tired of running the rate race everyday and are also thinking of moving south for better weather and downsizing our cost of living. Not going "off grid" like so many in the trend, just rethinking our home, working, etc to get into a position where we can work less, travel more, and if I have my way living no more than a few hours from a beach so I can enjoy some of things living near a coast can offer.

My wife's sister lives in Reidsville (just north of Greensboro) My current type of work would allow me to move pretty much anywhere I wanted with a little timing.

Places we are thinking of are Reidsville, Greensboro, the Raleigh-Cary/Fuquay-Varina area. Wrightsville Beach might be cool, I don't know anything much about it except its got an ocean. The outer banks seem like a good idea, but we vacation there all the time and I can see living there might be a little annoying due to only one main road.

I could do Charlotte, but no specifically good reason to be there.

Any areas to avoid? Mostly looking for better schools/neighborhoods.

I think making a major move like that depends on two major factors: family and career. You already mentioned your SiL in Reidsville...See what's nice in an hour radius. Be sure to focus on great school systems as well.

Is your wife working FT, PT? Has she checked for jobs or possible career spots down the road? (I.E. major employers in the area that she could work for if an oppty comes up)

DIBS ON THE 6X6 ;)

I think making a major move like that depends on two major factors: family and career. You already mentioned your SiL in Reidsville...See what's nice in an hour radius. Be sure to focus on great school systems as well.

Is your wife working FT, PT? Has she checked for jobs or possible career spots down the road? (I.E. major employers in the area that she could work for if an oppty comes up)

DIBS ON THE 6X6 ;)

Wife has her own company and works from home (customer sales/service phone stuff) so it can be moved anywhere with an internet connection. I may actually work with her, but my ultimate goal is to not have to work much because I'll have a place that I buy so no mortgage or rent.

I am talking to a company in Greensboro that has a great position. If I get the chance its one of those things I simply can't pass up.

I lived in Mooresville for a year and a half. Been working there for 5. Great area. I bought a house in Salisbury about 25 mins away. Pretty much regret moving away from the lake everyday. Just south is Cornelius and still on the wake. Reminds me of Dublin, but taxes are very high. My parents also moved down a little later and live on lake Norman. They love it.

I lived in Mooresville for a year and a half. Been working there for 5. Great area. I bought a house in Salisbury about 25 mins away. Pretty much regret moving away from the lake everyday. Just south is Cornelius and still on the wake. Reminds me of Dublin, but taxes are very high. My parents also moved down a little later and live on lake Norman. They love it.

If I were to leave mooresville it would be to Davidson, also another nice area. But I love having lake norman in the backyard

Charlotte and the surrounding area is a great place to live. Granted I don't spend much time in the city. The weather has been great, I think we've only been into the 20's twice this season. Last summer did get 'hot', but not a Charleston, Columbia or Atlanta kind of hot.

I live in South Carolina, east of 77 and just south of the border. The taxes are different here and you do not have vehicle inspections. In the end tax wise everything will wash out, but living in Mecklenburg county is where you will probably spend the most money.

Hickory is also a nice place. Lake Hickory is a good summer spot. Decent malls, etc. Not too far from Winston or Charlotte. Grand Father Mountain not that far.

http://clintonnissan.nissanofclinton.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/GrandfatherMountain1.jpg

Hickory is also a nice place. Lake Hickory is a good summer spot. Decent malls, etc. Not too far from Winston or Charlotte. Grand Father Mountain not that far.

Very cool, I haven't visited the mountain areas of NC for many years. I see I have places to visit.

Very cool, I haven't visited the mountain areas of NC for many years. I see I have places to visit.

Me too. The GF actually brought it up for once, it's usually me trying to drill that point home. Need to find the time and money to check out the area.

To those that know - is NC or SC more car friendly? I know most counties in NC have inspections

Me too. The GF actually brought it up for once, it's usually me trying to drill that point home. Need to find the time and money to check out the area.

To those that know - is NC or SC more car friendly? I know most counties in NC have inspections

I don't think SC has inspections.

Also here in NC we pay taxes yearly on our cars,bike,jet skis, boats,etc :fuckyeah: