Honda Fit

gaewsky1

I'm 6'2" and felt comfortable while driving it with plenty of head and leg room. In the front seats you don't feel like you're in a small car and the back isnt terribly small for someone my size. Its not what i would consider a smooth ride but its what you'd expect. The interior is simple, easy to navigate and, for what you're paying, is above par. I'm not sure if its standard but both fit's ive been in had the "heavy duty" all weather floor mats. Getting in and out of the car was easy from where ever you sit and loading unloading is easy with the tall and wide hatch. The engine and trans are adequate. Merging on and off the free way, with 2 adult passengers, it never felt under powered. I didnt notice any excessive road noise.

Bottom line: you dont feel like youre in a small car and it will comfortably fit 4 avg to larger adults for a day of driving.

I would agree with what Sturg said. I really like these cars, despite them being less car for the money than say a Civic or equivalent. They were a front runner when I as looking at econoboxes a few years ago, simply for the utility of space. You really can't beat these cars in that area, which is highly desirable trait for me in a car. One of the only reasons I didn't get one is that I decided to pay cash for a beater instead of having a car payment on a new/newer car.

I'm not a big fan of an auto trans in a 'low' powered car. We have an auto trans sport at work as a fleet car, and a good friend has a manual trans sport. So pretty much the same car except for the trans. The auto trans car definitely feels slower. It seems like a decent enough transmission from what I can tell, I just think they are generally a bad idea in cars with this power level. The 'paddle shifters' in the auto sport are in a small way kind of fun, but only if you are beating the shit out of the car in a way you probably don't want to with a DD you own. The logic behind them is pretty good, the trans does what you tell it to do for the most part, which isn't always the case with auto stick cars.

That same friend now has a family of 4, 1 kid in a booster and the other in a car seat. Plenty of space for the 4 of them. They even put a hitch on with one of those platforms and took it on a trip down to SC a few months ago and said it worked great.

I would also echo the automatic being the only problem about the Fit: I test-drove one at Roush Honda when my Odyssey was getting serviced, and the auto made me cry: no power from the 1.5L, and manually-shifting did nothing for the performance. That was a fun package of a DD that was literally trapped by that transmission.

I admit I didn't drive a stick Fit, but I'm certain it's an improvement over the auto :)

Wifey test drove a new Fit when she was car shopping about two years ago, and while she loved it, ended up preferring a used RAV4 instead. The two biggest deciding factors were cost versus space (the RAV was more expensive, but the extra rear space has seen a LOT of use), and having a higher line of sight. With a little one on the way, I'm expecting the car seat to fit more comfortably in the RAV as well. Both were the auto versions (manuals are beyond her)

My Parents have two of them. And they love them. I don't mind them at all. Mom drives hers around in pick-up truck mode (seats folded down).

You can fit a LOT of stuff in there. Very practical and economic. If I was looking for an economical daily driver this would definitely be a front runner.

Both of theirs are manual transmissions, my only gripe is their gearing. I think they turn like 3,500 rpm at 72mph. You can imagine in Indiana with 70mph speed limits is not uncommon to go 78ish, and its really screaming.

Thats my only real caution, other than that they are great.