WWII Photos

Mr. Jones

Colorized WW2 photos=AWESOME, cool find

Not colorized. According to the notes these were shot with Medium format Kodachrome film. They also don't appear to be colorized.

I could be completely wrong, but my photography skills are giving me a hard time believing the photos came from the 1940's and are just random photos that were polished up with photoshop.

I have not doubt they were touched up. Having worked for Kodak I can say that while Kodachrome is still today by far some of the best that was ever available, unless these were stored in a vacuum, they would have faded and would be showing their age. My guess is the scans were cleaned and saturated a bit to recreate the look.

Especially any of the close up shots where people are working in factories. The lighting is clearly shot off camera and using the same equipment for the shots. The white balance and exposures are all nailed to a T as well.
No doubt they stage the lighting well. The photog had to be very good as the exposure latitude on Kodachrome was narrow. Edited by TTQ B4U

Didnt realize they had color film back then, definitely cool!

No problem. One doesn't find too many from this era due to the processing required. Kodachrome is among the the longest produced color films ever made.

I love these pics. Obviously there are a lot of photos/movies from that era as it was one of the first wars where such was practical to use as a public relations tool. But usually the lack of color, quality, and/or the degradation makes it hard to really get a feel for how things actually looked. And Hollywood.. well, you can never trust them not to do some "enhancing". So to have these incredibly incredibly clear, and color, photos is just really cool in my mind as there's no doubt as to how things looked. It's like the visual equivalent of that 100 year old time capsule that was recently opened.