ROADKILL!

gillbot

I wanted to like it, but Finnegan's Garage is not funny.

I felt the same way. Finnegan is the Straight man in the Martin and Lewis act that is Roadkill....without Friedburger's crazy energy he doesn't really stand on his own. there are a couple of interesting "tricks" I picked up watching an episode but after that loooong ass tour of his man cave I tuned out and never looked back. Its a shame he has an AMC for a project car now because I love AMCs but I just can't sit through his dry delivery.

Dirt Every Day is surprisingly good: Fred is a goofball, but there is enough off-road trail tech and creative wrenching to keep me intadested.

Fred being a goof ball is why Dirt every day is interesting. I don't know what it is you have against goofballs. Dumuro was a nerdy goofball too and you hated him. It's like you have something against characters that aren't trying to be cool. I honestly think you take your carfotainment too seriously. there have been some DED episodes where literally nut job fred and his nut job friends carried the whole thing on their backs. Case in point the dune buggy vs the Roadkill buick century: Both episodes are pretty much the same: "set them up for failure and then fail miserably". Roadkill fizzled and not even F&F could pull it out of it's hole, but for some reason Fred and his buddy kept that episode chugging all the way till they admitted defeat.

I have been on a Petrolicious bender lately. It's surprisingly good for what it is and what it looks like before you click on it (hipster bait).

I don't know how many of you guys have seen it or even know about it but back when speedvision was a thing (yes before speed channel) there was a show called "victory by design". There are some episodes on youtube and the DVDs are still available but this is literally the gold standard for car entertainment. It is basically Alan deCadenet telling you the esoteric history of some amazing racing car, and then he beats the crap out of it on Sir Anthony Banford's Private Estate track. It has everything, amazing race cars, detailed history, great stories, and "blocks away, chaps!" English accents.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The "Boost Caboose" seems like a dumb...DUMB idea, on paper. But I have to admit...

Finnegan and Freiburger delivered again. This is definitely not Stubby Bob or Nascarlo, but it's a quality episode and I'm glad it worked. I do like that Monza since they bought it in the countryside of Ohio..

Edited by Not Brian
fixed your link, noob

I thought the episode disappointed a bit. When they hinted about it on social media I was excited to see the result. But I was kinda meh watching the result. Maybe it was because they half ass the finish/results and we never really knew how much of a difference it made. Could have been a lot better.

• 1 year later...
I agree. Great Episode. Their excitement at the end was.. well exciting.

Yep, that's the thing. Their bad episodes are half assed ideas that they don't care about, and it shows.

I like Tony a lot, both on here and HRG.

Yep, that's the thing. Their bad episodes are half assed ideas that they don't care about, and it shows.

My buddy and I were just saying the same thing. He's a nice addition to the MT staff.

I'm surprised by YouTubers I watch - Tavarish, Gingium, ChrisFix, HOONIGANS...Tony Angelo??? - how drifting is so popular amongst the youngin's.

That said, it did crack me up how much fun they had wrecking Stubby Bob and Tony Angelo said he's going to make all his cars into wheelie-cars. :lol:

Roadkill Magazine got cut, along with 3 other titles at TEN. Word on the street is that all is not well there at all...

Were the other titles automotive?

Roadkill magazine getting cut is no surprise to me, I was more surprised that there was a roadkill magazine in the first place. Seemed out of place and old fashioned for something that was a gamble on new media.

Discovery tends to buy 'New Media' companies and dismantle them (Revision3, Defranco Inc, TEN). What will likely happen is what always seems to happen, the current employees all stick together and form a new YouTube channel or network on their own when they figure out that their personalities are the asset and not the names like "MotorTrend".

That said, its been really fun seeing Tony develop as a host. He was really rough around the edges at first and pulled tons of hate, but really started to grow as an on screen personality not long after.

Discovery tends to buy 'New Media' companies and dismantle them (Revision3, Defranco Inc, TEN). What will likely happen is what always seems to happen, the current employees all stick together and form a new YouTube channel or network on their own when they figure out that their personalities are the asset and not the names like "MotorTrend".

That said, its been really fun seeing Tony develop as a host. He was really rough around the edges at first and pulled tons of hate, but really started to grow as an on screen personality not long after.

Discovery isn't really touching the print stuff for TEN, they are failing on their own. They cut Super Street, some euro car magazine, and a circle track magazine.

We have been taking bets on when print will be dead at least in the automotive world and right now the popular number is around 2025 give or take 2 years.

Trying to run a print magazine has given me sine insight to this and I'm really shocked that most have lasted as long as they have after the crash in 2008. That's why those slimeballs at Source Interlink pulled what they did to become TEN and I'm sure TEN will fall to the same fate and just leave the video stuff.

We've got digital locked in and are now trying to creep into the video market more on the direct to consumer side to go with our other productions.

If you wrote an article on "Insights Into Automotive Print Publications Since 2008", I would read that anthropologic piece. :)

Also, if your production company wants to do a video series on how-to-hot-rod-garbage-on-a-self-imposed-shoestring-budget-while-having-fun-and-remaining-socially-acceptable, give me a call.

Tony is ok, Lucky Costa is the man. He let my boy sit in stubby bob and chatted with us for a while when he saw him upset that freiburger and finnegan were no-shows at the autograph booth during roadkill nights. Not to take away from tony at all, but lucky saw him upset and went out of his way to help out. Very class act and understands kids and fans more than anything.