the Millennial Problem (WHY YOUNGSTERS SUK!)

zeitgeist57

You're a vehicle dynamics engineer, from what I gather, and it's not exactly your area of expertise, but what would your solution be? The auto industry has been reactive in this instance and has started pandering to a potentially tech-savvy buyer with increased competition to develop the most ridiculous tech/interior gadgets. Other than for the sake of corporate marketing dick-swinging, just to say "look what our car has that brand Y's does not", that approach is not working. For example, MyFordTouch, Cadillac CUE, etc. are an attempt to garner second glances from people more interested in the latest iPhone. However, despite how advanced (in terms of tech toys) these brands tout their cars to be, and despite the fact that companies like GM, Ford, or Chrysler are looking towards the next generation of CS students to cultivate their navigation systems, or a cool app, is it working?

I wouldn't say that these technologies are being included as a reaction in order to pander to tech-savvy people, but I would say they are features being integrated into the vehicle in order to makes them safer (more hands-free options) and because the customer is demanding better connectivity with mobile devices. Infotainment is a huge industry that is growing. I don't think these are features in order to get apathetic drivers interested in buying a vehicle, I think they are necessary in order to stay competitive in the market with ALL buyers.

You also have to remember that for electronics to go into a vehicle all the components need to be "automotive qualified," which takes lots of time and money. This keeps the most cutting edge processors from being used, so it may give an impression of being behind the curve when in reality the components used in your cell phone would never pass automotive testing.

You specifically said "This generation ... is lazy and stupid." If you intended that to be a more targeted rant, you failed. Dare I say, your generation sucks at making a point. In my day, we knew how to make a cogent argument.

;)

You and I are the same generation. I'm 30 years old.

And in my rant did say, "I have interviewed multiple millennial's for positions at my company and all of them show a complete lack of comprehension, poor problem solving, extremely cocky/self-centered, and aren't very articulate...They are lazy, stupid, and think that they deserve to get paid like an executive for doing Burger King-type work."

;)

I certainly don't envy educators today. There's a lot of societal and governmental pressure to adhere to this 19th century ideal of a liberal arts education, while it's pretty clear that the world is changing faster than schools and regulators can keep up.

Blame the teachers, blame the state, blame the parents. But if a kid who grows up with wikipedia and smartphones can't see the point in memorizing facts that he could easily look up in 12 seconds on his magic pocket wizard, it's not his fault. Society has failed him.

And there you have it, someone who sees the issues that educators face. Parents and the state share the larger part of the blame, bad teachers don't help, but overall the education is put in the back seat.

You have to make sure all the kids "feel good" and don't "feel left out".

After reading more, I do understand where this guy is coming from though. I live with 4 guys that have been in school since out of High School, with parents providing help with them along the way the entire time. They just don't appreciate things like I do. Whether that be a nice car, or having built or completed something on their own besides a college essay. College students are very apart from the rest of the world. I pretty much fix everything that goes wrong in our house, because they do not know how to and never had to know how to. The only thing not handed down to a lot of college student is their degree (No, I'm not saying getting a degree is easy at all). I noticed the difference moving from MS to OH. My Military and car buddeis from MS, versus my High school buddies (now in college) in OH is night and day. Not saying one is better than the other, just different types of people. I am a college student by the way, if anyone got offended reading that rant lol.

Yes, you started out talking about your interviewees, but then you expanded your rant to "this generation." Your choice of words, don't get mad at me.

Don't worry, in 3 years you'll understand. You know, once you've grown up a little.

LOL. I'm sure.

Yes, everything I said is a mass generalization based on the people I have interacted with, both new college grads (interviewing for engineering jobs) and recent high school grads (interviewing for co-op/intern positions).

I have said it once and I'll say it again. I have a complete lack of faith in the younger generation. I have interviewed multiple millennial's for positions at my company and all of them show a complete lack of comprehension, poor problem solving, extremely cocky/self-centered, and aren't very articulate. This generation is used to being entertained 24/7, having all the answers at their finger tips, and being told that everything they do is awesome (no matter how bad they suck). They are lazy, stupid, and think that they deserve to get paid like an executive for doing Burger King-type work.

Fuck hipsters.

This may be true for some of my generation (im 22 so i might be the older part of my gen) but i the exact opposite of what you described, and a very hard worker at that. I feel like no one will give anyone around my age a chance because all the other fuck-tards that give the bad impression.

A-FUCKING-GREED

Old people LOVE putting labels on things without EVER actually doing something.

Its funny, I am 30... and I interview people who are older than me who are unemployed because they think the "job market" is bad. Well, if I were unemployed I would do whatever it took to solve that problem in less than 2 weeks and get any job (even if only temporary) as opposed to being picky. In fact, I think old people are slow to act and slow to change their minds. Younger people (the right ones) are thirsty for knowledge and experience and tend to be accepting of new ideas.

I think greg is right... it all depends on who you associate with and/or view as your sample group.

While all the lazy/analytical 40-somethings cant find jobs..... the company I lead grew 624% in the past 3 years....

My generation's greatest weakness is that we are too bold and quick to make decisions and act..... I think that is also our greatest strength.

This says it all. Every older generation has no hope for the younger generation yet things move forward and change happens and wealth continues to grow. Maybe it's not the change the other generation wanted or even cared about but the world moves forward. Everyone regardless of age needs to just freaking try these days. Everyone is so much happier being comfortable where they are... bc that works so well every time. lol

Same old shit every generation. Will there be cars in the next twenty years. They will adapt and life will go on, just like we did.

I was in school in the 80's.....we were told that we would all have jet packs by now. I'm still waiting for mine.

I agree that there are a lot of young people that are lazy and expect everything to be handed down to them. I've always been a hard working person since I was 15 years old. I'm now 24 years old and honestly wish I was born like 10-20 years earlier so I could experience some of the older days without as many gadgets. But I also think there are a lot of lazy people in any age group.

This says it all. Every older generation has no hope for the younger generation yet things move forward and change happens and wealth continues to grow. Maybe it's not the change the other generation wanted or even cared about but the world moves forward. Everyone regardless of age needs to just freaking try these days. Everyone is so much happier being comfortable where they are... bc that works so well every time. lol

BOOM

Byoudath, did you know i changed my username?

You give me some engineer training/refresh my high school Calc/Physics skills I'll come work for you. Always looking to improve.

I think this is part of what many are getting at though. Why not go get engineer training and refresh your Calc/Physics yourself? If you are looking to improve, YOU put in the effort to improve and YOU get the rewards.

And there you have it, someone who sees the issues that educators face. Parents and the state share the larger part of the blame, bad teachers don't help, but overall the education is put in the back seat.

You have to make sure all the kids "feel good" and don't "feel left out".

Agreed. Sadly, with the "everyone wins a trophy", nobody feels the need to try harder to succeed. I can see it with my daughter in preschool already.

Maybe you should review your applicants resume's a bit better.

For every person that gets an interview there have been 10+ that get tossed in the trash. Some people are good resume writers but can't even explain something they wrote on their resume during the interview.

Oh well, not my problem any more. I just accepted a job at another company yesterday.

Congrats! Where at? It feels like you weren't at your current employer too long (a year or so?), not too happy there?

Time goes by fast! I've been here 3 years. I like my job but there are some outside factors and uncertainty with the future of my position.

You'll have to guess where I'm going for now. I'll make a post after I start.

/offtopic

Time goes by fast! I've been here 3 years. I like my job but there are some outside factors and uncertainty with the future of my position.

That it does, it feels like you were just posting about your new place a year or two ago.

You'll have to guess where I'm going for now. I'll make a post after I start.

Completely understandable about not talking about the new gig before you've started. I shouldn't have asked yet and sorry that I did. :)

I'm guessing another safety system maker, like Bosch or maybe more like your current place, but I don't know all of the players up there so it would be more than a wild guess, or a far second guess is for one of the big 3. Can't wait to hear what the new tract is!

http://karlhenk.kinja.com/young-people-dont-like-cars-the-story-behind-a-manufa-483888234

Cars are expensive:

One of the most overblown auto industry narratives is that young people — those in Generation Y, also known as Millennials — have little urge to buy vehicles.

Though the numbers show a decline in the percentage of new car sales from young drivers, those figures are a result of circumstance more than a shift in desire. It's not all about smartphones, the "Xbox generation" or an urban city revival.

It's about the money. Specifically, the money Millennials don't have.

Consider the following:

Many in Generation Y began their driving years during the worst recession since the Great Depression. Many parents of those young folks were laid off at one time or another. Others watched their paychecks shrink, leaving less disposable income to buy Johnny or Sally their first vehicle.

The teen unemployment rate in recent years has reached record highs, so Johnny and Sally can't even properly contribute financially toward their first car.

In 2009 there was "Cash for Clunkers," which took approximately 750,000 used cars off the road and artificially spiked the asking price for the remaining used car vehicle fleet. Used car prices are still historically high and those prices are coming down at a snail's pace.

The average price for new vehicles continues to escalate, and now sits at approximately $31,000.

There are still ways to purchase an affordable car, but for many in Generation Y, very few cars are affordable when you're saddled with record high student loan debt. (Or worse, anticipated student loan debt.)

Don't forget about the credit crisis, which has since eased, but some Millennials still find it difficult to get approved for loans, particularly those with modest interest rates on historically high-priced cars.

I know all of this because I've lived through all of this. And automotive executives know this too, which is why most aren't losing sleep over this manufactured crisis.

The unemployment rate in the U.S. is now dropping, gross domestic product is growing, young folks are getting jobs and soon will have $200 billion in annual spending power. They'll grow up, move out of their parents' basement and many will have children, and in turn will need an automobile to shuffle their kids between soccer practice and band camp.

As one auto sales analyst put it: "I can't bet against procreation."

Young folks will buy cars; just give it time.