Bangs for the bucks

Forrest Gump 9

I have always fancied about owning a Honda S2000. A quick search reveal that a decent one will set me back about $20k. By the time I want to do it my way (hard top, turbocharge, wheels,...) I'll be in more than $30k.

So pondering what else in that range I can have. BMW 135i and 335i came up. I like the 135i. But then being a MB fan, SLK55 AMG and SL600 jumped into the picture. Now I'm all fucked, how did I go from a 4banger NA to a v12 TT?

I want a unique car that you don't see everyday, but I also want a car that I can tinker with and wrench on every now and then. And no, as awesome as the corvette can be, I'm not ready for that yet.

Thank for reading

s2000 is very common around here...

Also, the lack of tq would make me want to punch babies if not at full tilt all day long.

Mercedes are all auto, so that sounds equally as awful as no tq.

I'd do a 335 manual out of the cars you mentioned. Maybe a g8 gxp, e46 m3, e36 m3, b8 s4, or a brz/frs and some mods, etc.

I have always fancied about owning a Honda S2000. A quick search reveal that a decent one will set me back about $20k. By the time I want to do it my way (hard top, turbocharge, wheels,...) I'll be in more than $30k.

So pondering what else in that range I can have. BMW 135i and 335i came up. I like the 135i. But then being a MB fan, SLK55 AMG and SL600 jumped into the picture. Now I'm all fucked, how did I go from a 4banger NA to a v12 TT?

I want a unique car that you don't see everyday, but I also want a car that I can tinker with and wrench on every now and then. And no, as awesome as the corvette can be, I'm not ready for that yet.

Thank for reading

You really aren't going to "tinker" with any of them to an extent, but the S2K would have the most stuff you could play with. Turbo an accompaniments would be a good fun easy work.

The SL600 will be big, lumbering, and well, an automatic..

PS, talking yourself out of a car you have wanted for a long time based on the cost of a turbo, and hardtop is a bit extreme imo. Have you driven one?

You would laugh, but I had an '05 Suzuka blue back in '05. Had to sell it because of insurance (too many tickets).

If you want a 'vert and a turbo, Mazdaspeed Miata is a better value.

If you don't want a 'vert but still want a turbo, 335i has more potential and is therefore a better bang for the buck down the road.

If you want something you don't see every day that will get the attention of true car guys, Z3 M Coupe. Terrible value, but great car.

My dad wants a Crossfire, so I've been looking at those periodically. Probably the best deal you can get on an MB. SRT-6?

If you can swing a bit more check out Lexus is-f. They are pretty awesome cars, well optioned and very comfortable. Maintenance isn't bad for what it is. If you can deal with the auto and manual paddle shift mode it's great.

If you want a 'vert and a turbo, Mazdaspeed Miata is a better value.

If you don't want a 'vert but still want a turbo, 335i has more potential and is therefore a better bang for the buck down the road.

If you want something you don't see every day that will get the attention of true car guys, Z3 M Coupe. Terrible value, but great car.

My dad wants a Crossfire, so I've been looking at those periodically. Probably the best deal you can get on an MB. SRT-6?

IIRC SRT-6 was auto-only.

Xfires are well priced now, but IMO they're shitty uncomfortable cars with lots of expensive MB parts skinned with shitty Daimler Chrysler plastic.

If you can swing a bit more check out Lexus is-f. They are pretty awesome cars, well optioned and very comfortable. Maintenance isn't bad for what it is. If you can deal with the auto and manual paddle shift mode it's great.

A "bit" more. :gabe:

I already have a fast four door. If I swing a little bit more might as well get a 911 turbo or GTR. ;)

I don't care about the Z3 M, but I would love to get my hands on a Z4 M coupe.