Am I crazy? Classic truck for my 16 year old?

caseyctsv

Buy the truck for her. Yes it isn't as safe as a new Toyota or something and don't put to much into that bel air video. The bel air has a X frame and an off center hit is probably the worst case for that car.

Who's saying the truck will not be involved in an off center hit too?

Truck:

Solid steering wheel with a steering rod to go through you. Today's cars have padding on the wheel and air bags.

Steel frame = no crumple zone. All the kinetic energy from a crash transfers through the driver

No seat belts, sure they are added, what about head rests for whip lash from a rear end?

Drum brakes? Change them to disc, still no ABS. Yes you can drive without it, but it sure helps in panic situations, especially on novice drivers.

Cliffs = Old truck no safe. I would not let it be a first car for my kid. Do what you want though.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no because if you drive 5 miles to work 5 days a week and drive 30 miles somewhere else once a week the odds are your wreck is more likely to happen on one of those 5 mile trips. I'm not getting into the fire and drowning scenarios because that's stupid but sticking to the subject at hand most people think they're safer because they live close to work when the statistics say otherwise.

go read the book "The Numbers Game". You're reading statistics wrong. Yes you are more likely to be in an accident close to home, because you have to drive close to home ANY time you leave the house. But to break it down real quick here.

5 mile commute= chance within 5 miles. 30 mile commute=chance within 5, plus chance within the next 25. You have to ADD the amounts together for EACH of the longer trips. so you go from the 52% number at 5, to now the much larger number of 77% within 15... now double that distance, each way, everyday... I'd almost guarantee 30 mile commute would cover 90% of crashes....

from the same poll : Only 17% of those polled experienced accidents beyond twenty miles from his or her home

Bottom line is no, a 50s 60s 70s truck is not the safest contraption to put your daughter in. Nor is ANYONE on CR's car the best suited to do what we use most of our cars for (commuting). I'd even challenge most of CR to a vanity/utility comparison of their daily drivers, I bet you'd find most DDs are just as much about wanting a "fun" car than a pure safe/utility DD.

I understand it's different when it comes to kids, but put yourself in your 16 y/o shoes.

A car that comes with seat belts from the factory will be better then adding aftermarket belts.

Wasn't implying they were but I see how it could be taken that way.

Bottom line is no, a 50s 60s 70s truck is not the safest contraption to put your daughter in. Nor is ANYONE on CR's car the best suited to do what we use most of our cars for (commuting). I'd even challenge most of CR to a vanity/utility comparison of their daily drivers, I bet you'd find most DDs are just as much about wanting a "fun" car than a pure safe/utility DD.

I understand it's different when it comes to kids, but put yourself in your 16 y/o shoes.

Pretty much dead on. The wife doesn't drive my '78 K10 hardly at all (has twice to the store about 2 miles away). Now that she's pregnant she won't be driving it period. That and the fact that I'm waiting to rebuild the entire front end so it's parked for now. :)

Thanks for all of the opinions here. It really explains why I have been so conflicted. I passed on the first one, but I am still looking. I think it will end up as a toy/weekend car for all the reasons you guys state but we will see.

Casey, if you have the room I would suggest getting something cheaper that needs work and make it a project for you and your daughter. Make sure it RUNS AND DRIVES, but aside from that most things on trucks these days are cheap and easy to either fix or replace. The experience that you are looking for will be more the process of making the truck hers/yours than just driving it...

I look forward to the day that my kids will drive, and I will give them a cheap budget to purchase something with the support that we'll work on it together. I'll always have newer cars with ABS/Air bags, but having been a tinkerer since I was young I want my kids to experience the same "sweat equity" in adding value to something as important in their lives as transportation.

Also, having had V8 trucks I would definitely suggest an inline-6 or just a small V8. No need to add any more power than is needed to get it down the road, and keep the economy as high as possible. I drove Cleetus to Cleveland and back, then Akron and back for work earlier this month, and in addition to not a single hiccup (honestly ran as smoothly as my Passat, though LOUDER :lol:) I got 18+ MPG out of both tankfuls on mostly highway driving.

FOR THE SAFETY WONKS: I don't disagree with the science or physics in a collision with new vs. old cars, but as a car guy and someone who was hit while riding my bicycle as a kid in Cleveland, I would feel that my child is safer on city streets in a $1000 car from the '60s/'70s than a $1000 bicycle. Sorry, greenies/hipsters...

DISCUSS...

Guest GMoney
Who's saying the truck will not be involved in an off center hit too?

Truck:

Solid steering wheel with a steering rod to go through you. Today's cars have padding on the wheel and air bags.

Steel frame = no crumple zone. All the kinetic energy from a crash transfers through the driver

No seat belts, sure they are added, what about head rests for whip lash from a rear end?

Drum brakes? Change them to disc, still no ABS. Yes you can drive without it, but it sure helps in panic situations, especially on novice drivers.

Cliffs = Old truck no safe. I would not let it be a first car for my kid. Do what you want though.

Geez, I punch your grandparents in the face for allowing your parents to drive death traps....

Yes newer tech is better but let her get what she wants. Just think of how much we love cars and that's why we are on this forum. Not cause they are safe.