Changing Motorcycle Flavors

Ziggy

After going out with some Cincy guys on Thursday and generally feeling like the fat kid at recess, I've become totally convinced that my VStar is not the bike I want. I thought it was, and it really is a nice bike, but it doesn't suit me like I thought it would. Honestly, I don't want a supersport bike, and I've determined that I'm still young enough to want to have an entertaining ride through the twisties every now and then. In doing some research, I've come across a bike that I never really considered as a real possibility, and wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with them.

The bike is a Suzuki RF900R. There is currently (and has been for a while) one listed on Craigs List, but the owner provides very little info. I've already sent him an e-mail through CL, but I hoped to get a little insight into these bikes before I ventured too much further down the road.

I've got a guy coming to scope out the VStar tomorrow, and if the price is right, could find myself with a new to me bike in the garage.

That's def. an interesting choice. I don't know if you were posting to seek advice or just to inform everyone, but my $0.02 says you might find a better fit on a fuel injected VFR. More common (parts are easy to come by when necessary), Honda reliability, and they are sexy looking machines that fit the same niche the RF's were aimed at - mostly touring with the ability to lean over when you wanna get frisky.

Problem with the VFR's is price... I can't afford any that I've seen. Frankly, I may not be able to afford the RF900R either, but that is the sport touring niche I think I'm headed for. Guy up the road has a Pacific Coast I may consider, but it needs a mirror/turn signal assy, and is an '89. Not sure I wanna go that old. The more I reflect on it, the more I miss my SV650. Never should have sold it :nono: but now I've got an opportunity to look again, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I think I read somewhere that Suzuki did an SV1000 Naked right? That's probably my ideal ride.

Edited by Ziggy

Maybe... Not counting on it though. I think I'll just be patient and see what pops up on CL. Bought my last two that way, it'll be easier with cash in hand, too. I know this guy with the RF900R has had it for sale for a long time, pretty sure it was up when I first listed my SV last fall. I don't mind a few miles, and like I said, when I'm ready to buy, I'll have cash. Cash negotiates a lot better than I do. ;)

Up for a drive to Jersey?

There is a 1990 VFR for sale for $2,750 listed on VFRWorld.com You'll need to register I think to see it and go to the classified section. Then look in the bikes for sale section.

Happy hunting.

David

Edited by DAC

Honestly, I don't want a supersport bike, and I've determined that I'm still young enough to want to have an entertaining ride through the twisties every now and then.

Oh when you really enjoy it, you never get too old. I'm 31 and will be riding them until I'm 70. A good friend of mine is almost 50 and he loves his ninja6r. I know many old men that love their sportbike. It's not the age, it's the thought of thinking your too old to still have fun. I love having fun and I won't be tired of having fun until I'm wearing adult diapers..haha.

I agree. I rode in college and now, at 45 with my kids in HS and college I decided I liked the VFR and the wife says, "Go for it!"

I like it a ton. The fuel injection is twitchier than I remember the GS750e or the Nighthawk being, but I'm getting used to it.

Up for a drive to Jersey?

There is a 1990 VFR for sale for $2,750 listed on VFRWorld.com You'll need to register I think to see it and go to the classified section. Then look in the bikes for sale section.

Happy hunting.

David

Thanks, I think Jersey is a little far for me go for a bike though. I did sell the VStar yesterday though, so I'm sure I'll be making a move here really soon. I hate having a motorcycle shaped hole in my garage!

Thanks, I think Jersey is a little far for me go for a bike though. I did sell the VStar yesterday though, so I'm sure I'll be making a move here really soon. I hate having a motorcycle shaped hole in my garage!

wow dude that was fast! im not sure if this is what youre looking for, or if you could find one in your price range, but a vmax or b-king might be something worth looking at?

If that RF has been on craigs for a long time, there is probably a good reason.

Dude with the RF got back in touch with me, says it's got drop in cams and an over bore kit, and he wants $3500 for it. Seems high to me, even with the engine work.

• 2 weeks later...

** UPDATE ** I sold my V-star to the first guy that came to look at it.

The very next week I bought something else.

So here it is... Another V-Star 650 :nono:

This one is a 2000 650 Custom that has already had almost all of the mods I wanted to do on my 2001 Classic, has less than 4000 miles, new tires, and I only paid $1100 for it. The deal was just too good to pass up, and from the little bit of riding that I've done on it, I like it a lot. I'll never keep up with most of you guys, but that's ok, I don't wanna work that hard anyway.

2000Custom.jpg

I've cleaned the carbs up some (still need to clean them up some more), have fork seals on order, and have added a pair of saddle bags, a fork bag, and have a pilon seat coming for the wife.