who knows vortex motors

gt-titan

What makes a vortec motor a vortec ....a guy looked at my motor and said he could tell it is a vortex by the intake bolts ...any truth to that...and I can't get to the number on the block its to close to the fire wall in my truck.......Help!!! Edited by gt-titan

#1 its vorteC. #2 the vortec engines intake bolts are straight up as opposed to being on an angle like most forst gen sbc.

Yeah sorry about the miss spell...ok thanks...do u no the first year the vortec motor came out..I was told it is a vortec motor..but I was told the motor came from a 92 camaro ..but was told 92 camaro never had a 305 vortec motor..

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113668

There was no vortec motor in a 92 anything. If all you're going by is the centerbolt valve covers, the vortec heads are very popular swaps onto earlier SBCs, so I'd look into a little more than that. Do you have any more info, casting numbers, pics, anything?

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113668

There was no vortec motor in a 92 anything. If all you're going by is the centerbolt valve covers, the vortec heads are very popular swaps onto earlier SBCs, so I'd look into a little more than that. Do you have any more info, casting numbers, pics, anything?

Well I can't see the casting numbers on the block or heads ...I can get a pic when I get home ...I can tell u that it is a surp belt setup..and not a v belt setup..I had the valve covers off of it.. that's about it..

so what i have is a LO3 prob from a 92 like i was told,,, it is not a vortec motor......it is a 305....5.0 ltr

ok now can i put a set of vortec heads on this motor... and is the intake on my motor different from,,, say the intake for a older small block motor,,,the reason i ask is because four of the intake bolts are not angled and all the intake bolts on my sons intake are all angled

i believe you are right man....my motor looks just like a LO3 motor.....

Same heads different intake. http://Http://www.thirdgen.org please go educate yourself. An L03 is nothing but a tbi version of the L98, basically same heads but one is a 305 and one is a 350. And yes those heads look like l98 heads minus the cable covers that someone swapped. If you try to put a normal intake on it I bet it doesn't fit and you'll need one one for the funny angle l98 style heads.

This will likely come off like I'm an asshole and I'm sorry. Why are you so dead set on messing with this thing? It doesn't look like anything special, it's a factory serp setup, and a crappy TBI. If you want to make more power lots of things are going to hold you back, like the TBI, or the fact that it's an underpowered 305. For the amount of effort if you want any real power gains get at least a 350, your shit will all bolt up, but do something other then that weak ass TBI. Trust me you'll be happier, the way it sits I'd be shocked if it dyno'd over 200, why not make a solid 300+?

Okay I'm done ranting, carry on.

Sinking money into a 305 will huge a waste and a huge let down. We built a mild one in high school and barely noticed a difference. Where as the same work on a 350 would have been a nice improvement.

Looks like some did a decent job seeing as you styill have a/c and such. Why not invest in a stand and go from there working on a replacement engine for the future. Then keep the 305 on the backburner just in case it's needed later

This will likely come off like I'm an asshole and I'm sorry. Why are you so dead set on messing with this thing? It doesn't look like anything special, it's a factory serp setup, and a crappy TBI. If you want to make more power lots of things are going to hold you back, like the TBI, or the fact that it's an underpowered 305. For the amount of effort if you want any real power gains get at least a 350, your shit will all bolt up, but do something other then that weak ass TBI. Trust me you'll be happier, the way it sits I'd be shocked if it dyno'd over 200, why not make a solid 300+?

Sinking money into a 305 will huge a waste and a huge let down. We built a mild one in high school and barely noticed a difference. Where as the same work on a 350 would have been a nice improvement.

Looks like some did a decent job seeing as you styill have a/c and such. Why not invest in a stand and go from there working on a replacement engine for the future. Then keep the 305 on the backburner just in case it's needed later

The 305 makes a great boat anchor. Save yourself the hassle and swap to a better 350.

i def dont take u as a asshole very good info...this is my first chevy i have ever owned and i have a bunch of people telling me what this is and what that is but so far they r all wrong...lol so when i dont know i bring it here....believe me i have been doin alot of looking but if i dont know what i have i dont know where to go...

i do have lined up a short block 30 over thats where all this started...on what i can use off this motor...then oh u have a vortec motor....riiight!!!!!!...lol

but right now my plans r to pull this motor out as soon as i have all i need to put it back together... there is still alot i need .....

Same heads different intake. http://Http://www.thirdgen.org please go educate yourself. An L03 is nothing but a tbi version of the L98, basically same heads but one is a 305 and one is a 350. And yes those heads look like l98 heads minus the cable covers that someone swapped. If you try to put a normal intake on it I bet it doesn't fit and you'll need one one for the funny angle l98 style heads.

great info man thanks...and thanks for the link...