Where to get 55 gallon drums?

indy82z

I am pondering the thought of building a smoker out of a 55 gallon drum. Anyone know a good (cheap) place to pick up a clean or new (something that can be burned in) one? Not 100% committed to this, but really considering it.

Thanks in advance..

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
Found a guy up in Butler that had a ton of these. Picked up two food grade barrels for $15 each. They look absolutely brand new. Next step is giving them a good hot burn to get rid of anything inside and then start building. Really only needed one, but for $15, figured I would nab another and build it also for later.

For your research and google-fu, you're making a 'UDS' Ugly Drum Smoker.

If it's your first one though, you really want one of these:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2325418&KPID=2893445&cagpspn=pla&CAWELAID=109389680

Completely idiot-proof and I leave/use mine in the rain/snow without issue. It's a crock-pot for men.

are you doing a vertical barrel or horizontal? Are they the sealed type or do they have lids on one end?

Just doing a vertical one on this. The first one I am keeping pretty basic. They have removable lids...pretty much ready to go.

The Smokey Mountain Smoker is a fine piece of equipment. I would prefer to make one though. I already have an electrical smoker and an Orion Cooker, so this one I just want to play with.