Need sum edjamacation on wave runners

TurboGoKart

Sugar mama....er....wife will be graduating soon from school and will be pulling in some much better cash monies. We started talking about grabbing a pair of wave runners.

What brands are better brands? Ones to stay away from? I really don't want any of the ones from the 90's lol. What brands/models are easier to modify? I don't care what she gets, but I want to go fast. So a three seater or two seater with a big engine. One of them will be a three seater too so we can pull a tube at least for the kiddos. Just trying to get mah learn on a little on these.

Edited by TurboGoKart

If money doesn't matter I would make a seadoo rxt and rxp combo. You would have a fast 2seater and a fast 3seater. I would stay with Yamaha or Seadoo.

Tom

Pretty much. Seadoo 4tec is the best bang for your buck for high end personal watercraft. Anything 04 and up are great if they are well cared for. There are many models and sizes to pick from. You won't find anything faster than my ski that I have posted for the price. Check out the mod list, it really adds up to go fast. Although some people think breaking 60 is fast, so I guess it depends on your need for speed.

Are you mechanically inclined and don't mind working on your skis a lot? Are you comfortable pulling apart superchargers and engines? If not, go with Yamaha. I've had 13 skis over the past four years, including three 4-tecs. Like turbospec said, the 4-tecs will get you the most power for your money, but you will also spend quite a bit of time wrenching on them.

Also, sit down skis get boring quickly. IMO, get a supercharged 3 seater Yamaha for the family, then a Yamaha Superjet stand-up for yourself.

lol. Dude is asking for a fast 2 seat ski and you guys come in recommending silly stand-ups? OP, if you have the money for a new ski the 2014 Yamahas are nice, although they are 15k. Otherwise, get an Sea Doo rxp/rxt combo. I'm in Grove City too, come take a look at mine if you want. I can show you what to look for and what things need maintenance.

Agree with the Seadoo or Yamaha comments. No matter what... you want to hear them run, do a compression test and inspect the impeller gasket area. Once you have them...invest in battery tenders...always pre-start at home before you go to the lake, winterize them yourself and never, ever let anyone operate them out of your sight.

Silly? Shoot, I had an 80mph (GPS'd) RXP and after a couple of laps around the lake I was bored. You will have fun on a stand up all day and still be wanting more.

Still have to have something for the ladies/kids though. Like I said, top speed gets boring quick so go with reliable and efficient as a top priority for their ski.

GET A BOAT, YOU WILL HATE JET SKI'S AFTER 1 HOUR OF RIDING

+1, or get both. Lol. Jetskis are only fun in addition to a boat IMO. My kid loves the boat and loves to bring all her friends....not possible on a jetski.

GET A BOAT, YOU WILL HATE JET SKI'S AFTER 1 HOUR OF RIDING

Go home big letters, you're drunk.

lol. Dude is asking for a fast 2 seat ski and you guys come in recommending silly stand-ups? OP, if you have the money for a new ski the 2014 Yamahas are nice, although they are 15k. Otherwise, get an Sea Doo rxp/rxt combo. I'm in Grove City too, come take a look at mine if you want. I can show you what to look for and what things need maintenance.

That'd be awesome! Thanks. If you want, PM me and let me know when you're free and we can work out a time then. :thumbup:

• 6 months later...

You can't pull a tube with a 90s waverunner? 2 seat vs 3 seat?

Is there a certain power level that is required to pull one? Is it more the pay load on the frame/hull that is the issue? IE difference between pulling a biggest loser competitor vs an adolescent?

srsly.

I thought I would get a couple project waverunners in a few years once the kids get old enough to swim. My fear is running them at alum creek or buckeye lake and getting run over by drunk or not drunk boat guys that don't notice you. I do plan on putting flags and lots of flashing lights on them.

You can't pull a tube with a 90s waverunner? 2 seat vs 3 seat?

Is there a certain power level that is required to pull one? Is it more the pay load on the frame/hull that is the issue? IE difference between pulling a biggest loser competitor vs an adolescent?

srsly.

I thought I would get a couple project waverunners in a few years once the kids get old enough to swim. My fear is running them at alum creek or buckeye lake and getting run over by drunk or not drunk boat guys that don't notice you. I do plan on putting flags and lots of flashing lights on them.

Sure power comes into play but most ski's large enough to tow also have enough power to handle it at a moderate 30mph or so (being "able" and doing so with comfort are very different). You do need a 3 seater, by law, to tow someone. You need a driver and a lookout (someone sitting backwards watching the person on the tube). Plus, you need room on board for the person in the tube. It's a pain to tube behind a ski, get a boat if that's what you want. Especially with young kids.

Thanks, I did not know this was the law! Maybe I do want a small boat instead, not dead set on tubing but had a lot of fun doing that as a kid apparently illegally- I was also planning on casual fishing off the waverunners lol

The laws may have changed from "back in the day" haha, they also might not actually care or catch you if you are on a large 2 seater but still it is what it is.. Yes a small boat would be much better for a family, and to be honest I think boats are cheaper if you are not after high end performance, when compared to a pair of jetskis.

Come one Keith you should know this.....State law is, when tubing you have to have two people in the boat/on the ski, the driver and one person watching/flagging.

A lot of the 90s skis have issues with two people on them let alone two people and a tuber. It's just to much weight for the older skis.

Come one Keith you should know this.....State law is, when tubing you have to have two people in the boat/on the ski, the driver and one person watching/flagging.

A lot of the 90s skis have issues with two people on them let alone two people and a tuber. It's just to much weight for the older skis.

I do know it idiot. :) You ALSO have to have space for the said tuber on board the craft. You are not supposed to pull tubes through no wake zones, ect.

My 98 yamaha xl1200 ( 1200cc 3cyl two stroke of awesomeness) is an absolute beast pulling a tube, hell ide put it against some of the new skis in towing :D any one ever done a tug o war on a jetski??

Ive had two skis one of which ive had for like 4 or 5 years and hands down get a boat. Its fun to fart around on but sucks having to have multiple skis to have fun and you cant bring many people.

Or have the best of both worlds get a boat and a ski.