Explosion at Columbus Police HQ

TimTaylor751647545500

Columbus Police HQ Locked Down After Reported Explosion

Posted: Sep 24, 2013 7:50 PM EST Updated: Sep 24, 2013 7:59 PM EST

By: Joe Clark - email

COLUMBUS, Ohio -

http://wcmh.images.worldnow.com/images/23520384_BG1.jpg

Columbus Police headquarters has been placed on lockdown after a reported explosion was heard in the building Tuesday night.

According to Columbus police, at about 7:27 p.m., a reported explosion was heard in the building.

No word on any injuries at this time.

No other details were released, but NBC4 will update as we learn new information.

http://www.nbc4i.com/story/23520384/columbus-headquarter-locked-down-after-reported-explosion

BREAKING: Loud "Bang" Heard at Columbus Police HQ Updated: Tuesday, September 24 2013, 08:04 PM EDT COLUMBUS (Ken Hines) --

http://abc6onyourside.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories//images/cpd-hq_26429.jpg

Officers are investigating reports of a possible explosion at the Columbus Division of Police Headquarters. A worker reported smelling gunpowder just before a loud "bang" was heard inside the building at 120 Marconi St. at approximately 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to police. Officers are checking the building, floor-by-floor, to determine the cause of the noise. Police closed surrounding streets while the building is searched. Injury information has not been released. This is a developing story. ABC 6/FOX 28 will provide more information as it becomes available.

Read More at: http://abc6onyourside.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wsyx_breaking-loud-bang-heard-at-columbus-police-hq-26429.shtml

It was a construction battery on an hydraulic ladder in the lobby that exploded. looks to me like a little bit bigger car battery.

all the news media hype for a battery :lolguy: so who lied saying they smelled gun powder? someone reported they had an eye witness that saw someone running from CPD HQ jumping or dropping something down a man hole? wtf

I had a forklift battery explode one time. The cables had some exposed wire and when I was moving it into the lift the wires gounded out onto the body of the forklift. It arc welded a hole through the body of the lift and then exploded about 2 feet from me. I'm not sure about this particular person but I know for me I would've been running and dropping my underwear full of shit down a man hole. :D

all the news media hype for a battery :lolguy: so who lied saying they smelled gun powder? someone reported they had an eye witness that saw someone running from CPD HQ jumping or dropping something down a man hole? wtf

I doubt many people know what gunpowder smells like. Likely this person smelled the sulfur of the bad battery then after the explosion said they smelled gunpowder. Because what else could possibly explode? :dumb:

I'm just surprise there wasn't a report of an assault rifle weilding gunman fresh off a 24 hour GTA5 binge reinacting some scene from a Michael Bay movie using a recipe found on Myspace, peppered by interviews of his family saying he was perfectly normal the day before.

I had a forklift battery explode one time. The cables had some exposed wire and when I was moving it into the lift the wires gounded out onto the body of the forklift. It arc welded a hole through the body of the lift and then exploded about 2 feet from me. I'm not sure about this particular person but I know for me I would've been running and dropping my underwear full of shit down a man hole. :D

Sort of similar... I used to maintain remote weather stations in the military and my buddy was working on one when the battery exploded on him. It was surprisingly loud and left him with some hearing loss, just glad he was standing and not hunched over it. Not sure it would of merited a news story though.

I was thinking it was just an excuse for OSU to test out their new MRAP.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/18/ohio-state-university-armored-truck_n_3949750.html

I wonder when they'll announce the next tuition hike...

Well I'm pretty sure that made that purchase with money from the federal .gov when the story ran on the local news...

Well I'm pretty sure that made that purchase with money from the federal .gov when the story ran on the local news...

I read up on it on reddit, huffpo just happened to have the top link on google search.

EDIT: and regardless of whose money bought it, it's absolutely retarded for a university to think it needs military equipment, forget about the fact that they'll need to spend more money training people to maintain and utilize it.

The guy in the article from OSU PD stated.. "Columbus' local police force does not have a bomb squad." That is false, CFD has their own bomb squad that responds all over the city. I use to see them in a black one that seemed to be older when I would park at the Arc. I'm sure you will see this out during OSU games since the state highway patrol uses theirs.