I need a gym

Geeesammy

As someone who has never otherwise been in a "regular gym" in my life, how do I learn what to do?

It really depends on what your goals are. If it is just to stay healthy, bodybuild, power lift, etc. I'd try and find an online forum dedicated to that and ask up on there, I'm sure you'll get a lot of solid answers. If you want really good instruction on technique, and exercises for a specific thing like I mentioned above I'd ask around for a trainer that specializes in an area like that and then use them for awhile, and later implement what he/she taught you into a workout.

I was very fortunate to have a lot of great strength and conditioning coaches throughout high school athletics so I know what exercises do what I want them to.

This is just my $.02. I'm sure someone thinks I'm totally wrong, so be it.

It really depends on what your goals are. If it is just to stay healthy, bodybuild, power lift, etc. I'd try and find an online forum dedicated to that and ask up on there, I'm sure you'll get a lot of solid answers. If you want really good instruction on technique, and exercises for a specific thing like I mentioned above I'd ask around for a trainer that specializes in an area like that and then use them for awhile, and later implement what he/she taught you into a workout.

I was very fortunate to have a lot of great strength and conditioning coaches throughout high school athletics so I know what exercises do what I want them to.

This is just my $.02. I'm sure someone thinks I'm totally wrong, so be it.

for all your training questions

http://www.youtube.com/user/BroScienceLife