Audi S5. School me please.

Draco-REX

I'm seeing used ones everywhere. Do they suck? Why are people unloading them?

If I were to pick one up, what should I look for? What are common issues?

I picked up a winter daily that looked like it would be a reliable ride. Instead I'm steadily rebuilding the entire thing as it falls apart around me every time I drive it. Maybe it's time to get something nice...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Audi's come off lease (or sold by bored owners) within 2-5 years, so I'm guessing you're finally seeing a noticable number hitting the used market.

My friend Mike (Aesthetic_Influx) has a 2.0T model, some basic bolt-ons. Looks awesome, and makes me think if it's your 2nd or 3rd car you could get away with an A5 instead of an S5.

My friend has an S5 and I have had plently of opportunities to drive it. I think it is a blast to drive because it sounds good, pretty quick and the interior is very nice. I think he needs to get any exhaust though because when driving the S5, it leaves me wanting more with the quiet exhaust.

If and when I decide to get rid of my '04 A6 2.7T....a S5 is very high in my replacement list. Love the looks of them.

How has your C5 A6 been so far?

I had an 03 2.7T years ago and it was a problem child, but I always loved that body style. The 04's got an upgraded torque converter, and slight bump in power.

How has your C5 A6 been so far?

I had an 03 2.7T years ago and it was a problem child, but I always loved that body style. The 04's got an upgraded torque converter, and slight bump in power.

It's been a great daily driver. I bought it from my father's estate with ~74K on it. He was the 3rd owner and only put about 15K on it in 2 1/2 years. I had the timing belt and everything inside the timing cover replaced by a friend who is a Audi dealer tech. Just oil changes and brakes since then with 126K on it now.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7136/7482549650_31a7aa9062_z.jpg

I had a '12 S5. I got rid of it several months ago. When I purchased it, I had thought it would suffice as a fun daily driver. While it was perhaps the most aesthetically pleasing car I have ever owned, it was disappointing from a daily driver standpoint. It was relatively slow, so it wasn't much "fun" for me. Also, because it was a V8, and my driving style, the gas mileage sucked. Further, I've found that I prefer/need my daily driver to have four doors, not too. So, that was a minus as well. Additionally, the niceness of the car, coupled with my obsessiveness, made it difficult for me to park comfortably in all the places I normally have to park, like downtown parking garages.

I bought mine new. There never a single issue with anything with the car. So, like, no leaks or weird noises or rattles or anything. The car was everything as advertised - it just didn't fit well with what I wanted/needed. That's all on me, not Audi.

If I had to do it all over again, then I'd probably buy an A4 or S4 before I'd buy the S5. Also, if I was going to buy another S5, I wouldn't and instead would just get an A5.

I second the B8 S4 notion. They are getting cheap and are faster out of the box than the V8 S5. Don't get me wrong the S5 is sexy, it's just to slow for my likeing.

Bear in mind they ended up dropping the V8 S5 option completely in '12 or '13.

The S5 with the 3.0T is a great choice, more power, huge economy gains, and the ability to do a pulley/tune and run low 12's on an otherwise stock car.

The 3.0T is quite the motor, in a Q5 with pulley/tune, it pulled a 12.7. Quite the little sleeper.

I'm really divided on this. It's a lot of money, but about the same as I had in the STI. Half of me is saying "It'll be a car I keep. I'll drive it year round. I won't get bored with it." The other half of me is saying "Yeah right, I've heard that before." :fuuuu:

Get a 3.0t model and you will very happy.

The v8 is meh imo.

Really no major issues to speak of honestly.

Good to know.

Audi's come off lease (or sold by bored owners) within 2-5 years, so I'm guessing you're finally seeing a noticable number hitting the used market.

My friend Mike (Aesthetic_Influx) has a 2.0T model, some basic bolt-ons. Looks awesome, and makes me think if it's your 2nd or 3rd car you could get away with an A5 instead of an S5.

I had a '12 S5. I got rid of it several months ago. When I purchased it, I had thought it would suffice as a fun daily driver. While it was perhaps the most aesthetically pleasing car I have ever owned, it was disappointing from a daily driver standpoint. It was relatively slow, so it wasn't much "fun" for me. Also, because it was a V8, and my driving style, the gas mileage sucked. Further, I've found that I prefer/need my daily driver to have four doors, not too. So, that was a minus as well. Additionally, the niceness of the car, coupled with my obsessiveness, made it difficult for me to park comfortably in all the places I normally have to park, like downtown parking garages.

I bought mine new. There never a single issue with anything with the car. So, like, no leaks or weird noises or rattles or anything. The car was everything as advertised - it just didn't fit well with what I wanted/needed. That's all on me, not Audi.

If I had to do it all over again, then I'd probably buy an A4 or S4 before I'd buy the S5. Also, if I was going to buy another S5, I wouldn't and instead would just get an A5.

The thing is, from the Audi reviews I've seen lately, their A series seems to be made more for comfort. I tried the nice, comfortable daily driver thing, and it just annoyed me. I don't like driving soft cars and I don't want another car I won't like driving.

I really need to go for a test drive in one of these..

Here's a silly question:

Can I do my own oil changes on one of these? Or is that a no-no these days?

Yup, nothing to it.

I've been maintaining the TTRS in house. It has about 25 torx screws of 3 different sizes to remove the plastic and metal pans. I'd imagine the s5 would be much easier.

someone post up a picture of the timing chain on that v8.

they sound amazing, but are a bit slow if you're used to 400hp cars. awd, so you can drive it in the weather and be fine. my buddy owned one. i would have bought it for a fun winter daily, if not for the carbon build up issue