College Football Thread v2.0

Dr. Pomade

Other thread became self-aware so it had to be destroyed it before it went all Skynet on us.

I'd like to see NW again in B10 championship game if Ohio State can get there. I don't think it will be as close a game. If it's not NW in the B10 championship game, then who else? Nebraska?

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other thread became self-aware so it had to be destroyed it before it went all Skynet on us.

I'd like to see NW again in B10 championship game if Ohio State can get there. I don't think it will be as close a game. If it's not NW in the B10 championship game, then who else? Nebraska?

Prolly that team up north.

I see now where LJ saw the thing about Meyer wanting soft coverage and Fickell wanting to blitz more. Matt Finkes.

But today during the B1G teleconference, Meyer said the pass defense right now is alarming and blamed it on soft coverage and missed tackles. So I'll stick by thinking that Meyer probably isn't pushing for soft zones out there...

I see now where LJ saw the thing about Meyer wanting soft coverage and Fickell wanting to blitz more. Matt Finkes.

But today during the B1G teleconference, Meyer said the pass defense right now is alarming and blamed it on soft coverage and missed tackles. So I'll stick by thinking that Meyer probably isn't pushing for soft zones out there...

That's not what I said, nor is it what was said the difference between the 2 is. Meyer wants 7-8 in coverage and all the pressure coming from the DL. Fickell wants to drop into different coverages and bring pressure with blitzes.

People keep mis-interpreting what was said very badly. It was never said that either wants a "soft" zone. It was also never said that 1 wants more pressure than the other.

Every coach ever wants two things, 1: as much pressure as is humanly possible, and 2: Lock down coverage. Nothing strange about that. Any disagreement would solely be about how to best achieve those two things.

We need a new defensive coordinator. Fickle sucks and has been proven throughout the past 3 years. Urban should have kept heacock. Under his watch, tOSU always had a top 10 defense.

We need a new defensive coordinator. Fickle sucks and has been proven throughout the past 3 years. Urban should have kept heacock. Under his watch, tOSU always had a top 10 defense.

Past 3 years huh? Opinion = dismissed.

Good Ross Fulton breakdown on 11W today. The few biggest points to take away

1. The first Braxton fumble was the correct read. The DE was just able to recover and make a hell of a play. Braxton had tons of green in front of him if he got around the end.

2. OSU runs fake zone read plays that are just RB runs. Some of the plays where everyone was screaming that Braxton was obviously pre-determining his read, may have actually been just straight up run calls.

3. NU was executing the scrape exchange

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/sites/default/files/images/11w/play-diagrams/Screen%20Shot%202013-10-08%20at%207.49.25%20AM.png

Braxton is told that if Decker looks overwhelmed with both, to play it safe and give on the zone read.

4. Kenny Guiton would have never made this play

http://i.imgur.com/GMaD8Af.gif

As for Fickell I don't think his scheme is the issue. I think it's time the peanut gallery starts holding Withers and Coombs accountable. It's their guys that are blowing coverages, missing tackles, being completely out of place.

Everyone hates Fickell and I really don't understand it. Last time I checked he was CO-coordinator.

Since the old thread is no more, I will bring my comments over here:

So I thought OSU was wanting to schedule harder opponents? They must feel Hawaii is real close to turning the corner cause they were just scheduled for 2015

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...7128881&src=em

This also makes the chances of the Northern Illinois game being canceled that much greater.

OSU's schedule looks soft again outside of Va Tech who will prob be terrible by time that game comes around. This puts OSU at 10 games in 2015, interested in seeing who the other 2 teams will be

Hawaii

@Va Tech

@Indiana

Maryland

Penn State

@Rutgers

Minnesota

@Illinois

Michigan St

@Michigan

If O'Brien stays at Penn State, I think they will be a top 10 caliber team by 2015.

I dunno what VT has coming in, but they did have a top 25 recruiting class in 13 and

Michigan will have top 15 talent all over the field.

Hawaii is at least better than FAMU.

I'd say the schedule is 10 times better than this year's. In Blacksburg at night isn't going to be easy.

Wait, don't we have Oklahoma on the schedule coming up soon?

Also, that Va Tech game is in Blacksburg. NO ONE is going to think that is a cupcake game, even if it kinda is (and I don't think it will be).

Hawaii is an awesome tune up game. Those guys have had some offenses that are freaking sick.

From 2014 to 2023 OSU has OOC games against...

Navy (in Baltimore)

VT home and home

Oklahoma home and home

UNC home and home (1 year same as OU, 1 same as TCU)

TCU home and home

Cincinnati twice

Oregon home and home

Boston College home and home (same years as Oregon)

Texas home and home

I don't know what more people could expect. There are going to be some awesome games in there.

The 2015 Va Tech game is a Monday game, they also play that Saturday...2 games in 6 days with travel in between, gonna be a challenge. Va Tech is always ranked high only to lose 3-4 games. I do like most of the other OOC games on the upcoming schedules, just found it funny that Gene Smith was talking about how they were going to start scheduling top 40 teams and then comes Hawaii.

The defensive breakdown today was kinda boring, as everything was just what we already knew. It's just nice to see others coming out and saying

The Buckeyes simply have too many poor zone pass defenders. For instance, Curtis Grant is such a liability in pass coverage that he should often be used as a blitzer. This problem is only exacerbated by the loss of Christian Bryant. Brown was too often lost in coverage, raising the issue as to whether he is the long term solution to replace Bryant.

Hoping real hard that they use this extra time before Iowa to prep Vonn Bell. If Brown is going to suck anyway I'd rather they start getting Bell going.

I don't think he can be any worse.

Exactly. And he's got at least 2 1/2 seasons left to play here as opposed to Brown who is going to hopefully enjoy the degree he earned at Ohio State after this because he's not going to the league.

Such a shame the Gateway boys ended up being busts. Although I think Bell could have eventually panned out. Had a great year last year at Duquesne. Led the team in tackles. He's 2nd in tackles for them this year behind PSU transfer Christian Kuntz but Bell was on a lot of award watch lists going into this season and they're only 4 games in.