Anyone have any experience with a hit and run?

Geeesammy

On Friday I was headed to my moms on 71N just north of Cooke road and south of 161. Typical stop and go Friday BS. Motorcyclist behind me was riding like a total jackass, first time we stopped quickly he almost hit me, second time he did, he hit the right back of my car and cracked my taillight and scraped my car up with about an 18" long scratch on my wing. The thing that pisses me off the most is he was an older guy, and KNEW he hit me. It looks like the clutch handle smashed his left hand on the grip. At first I couldn't really believe it, and after 5-10 seconds of watching him to see if he was going to pull over, I realized he wasn't. So I did what I knew best and put it in second and caught up to him fairly easily (although he was doing his best to get away when traffic broke). I pulled up next to him and literally layed on the horn, he finally looked over and I motioned him to stop since he hit me. By this point in time we were doing 80 in pouring rain and for both of our safety I didn't attempt to "make him stop". I got his plate, description along with make and model of his car and have him on video. I plan on filing a report tomorrow about this since CPD wouldn't come to my mothers in Polaris, and I was leaving for Gatlinburg literally right when it happened.

So my main questions are,

What will come of this? Do I stand any chance of this actually going further than a police report? What are my options as far as legal action against this asshat? He knew he hit me since he was shaking his hand, clearly in pain. Will this all be dismissed since it is basically circumstantial evidence? It just pisses me off even more since it was an older guy who knew better, not some younger guy who was just an idiot.

I spoke with CPD on Friday when I called it in and they said this week would be fine to file a report, hopefully the rep I spoke with was correct on their info.

I'll try to get a pic or two up of the damage. It's not very much but still pisses me off.

Edited by Geeesammy

Just because he's older doesn't mean he's legally riding. Stolen bike, no insurance, no license, warrants, etc could be why he was so desperate to get away. I'd expect a fight, he likely won't admin to being in the wrong even if you do track him down. Your insurance will probably fix it, and then go after his insurance if he has any.

Just because he's older doesn't mean he's legally riding. Stolen bike, no insurance, no license, warrants, etc could be why he was so desperate to get away. I'd expect a fight, he likely won't admin to being in the wrong even if you do track him down. Your insurance will probably fix it, and then go after his insurance if he has any.

This is why I think I'll likely eat it. I've only got liability so I'll be eating the cost myself.

I was hit once and they guy took off cause he was wasted. Luckily i had the plate and i called the cops and filed the report and they found him and his insurance paid for everything. Ended up being some kid and his parents owned the car. I'd say you have a good shot at getting his insurance to cover since they will only have your side of the story when you file the report.

I had one incident in the past an asian lady side swiped my entire car then took off. I got her plate and called the police, they were of course less than helpful. I called my insurance and asked what they would do and she didnt admit fault at first.

I then decided to take matters in my own hands, first called her after finding her info and recorded the call stating she hit me and asked if she would be willing to admit fault she said on the phone she wouldnt and to not call her again. I didnt call her but made up my own business cards and letterhead with a "lawfirm" and sent it to her home and place of employment stating they were working on the case for litigation. Magically she called her insurance and admitted fault. I wouldnt suggest doing what I did as this was a while ago when finding stuff online was not as easy but hey it worked ;)

• Upvote 1

I had one incident in the past an asian lady side swiped my entire car then took off. I got her plate and called the police, they were of course less than helpful. I called my insurance and asked what they would do and she didnt admit fault at first.

I then decided to take matters in my own hands, first called her after finding her info and recorded the call stating she hit me and asked if she would be willing to admit fault she said on the phone she wouldnt and to not call her again. I didnt call her but made up my own business cards and letterhead with a "lawfirm" and sent it to her home and place of employment stating they were working on the case for litigation. Magically she called her insurance and admitted fault. I wouldnt suggest doing what I did as this was a while ago when finding stuff online was not as easy but hey it worked ;)

Pretty sure that's a felony in Ohio. FYI.

This is why I think I'll likely eat it. I've only got liability so I'll be eating the cost myself.

i MIGHT *KEY WORD MIGHT* have a full set of 89+ tails you can have (Both sides and center section).

Ill have to do some digging in the garage but ill let you know, that should help you out.