New Jeep Wrangler or....FRS?

Bigbird

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, you bought one in San Jose, California? Or you bought one that was similarly equipped? If you bought the exact one I'm looking at, I'm going to be a sad panda lol. Either way, the only thing I'm bummed about is that it doesn't come with the 3.73 rear axle ratio.

No I didn't buy one in CA. I got mine right here in Columbus, so no worries. Mine sounds like it is equipped exactly the same as the one you are looking at. Honestly don't worry about the axle ratio. If you are planning on lifting it and putting bigger tires on it, you better do it right and change out the gears. If you are keeping it stock, don't worry about what gears it has.

Also I did get mine for $25K. Got mine "used" with less than 2,000 miles on it.

For those that didn't know, the Jeep Wrangler changed the engines in them in 2012. the older ones came with either a 3.7 or a 3.8 which were major dogs. In 2012, it only came with the Penstar 3.6L which is worlds above the older engines. Still a Jeep, not going to win any speed records, but it is a major upgrade. Also mpg has increased. With mixed highway and street driving, I normally see 21 mpg. Longest trip I have taken in it was from Columbus to Myrtle Beach I was getting 24 mpg all the way there.

Just put a deposit on a 2013 Sport with auto, A/C (how is this not standard?), hard top, connectivity group (bluetooth/satellite radio and schtuff). Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up Thursday.

I really wanted a Sport S and 3.73 axle ratio but this had MOST of what I wanted, and I didn't have to order it. Plus I got a pretty decent price since it's a 2013. I looked up prices of the Sport S wheels/tires on message boards and they're really cheap, Rubicon wheel/tires are pretty cheap too. People seem to just take them off as soon as they get their new Jeep, so I'll make that my gain. The 3.21 should be good enough for tires that size, if I decide to go big (35's or something) in the future, I figure I'll want 4.10's anyway.

So not EXACTLY what I wanted, but pretty darn close, and cheaper too. This is my first brand new vehicle, so I'm pretty pumped. Thanks everyone for the input!

Everyones' input was to not buy a Jeep lol.. get some pics up though, they do look nice.

Haha true, but it was still input. They are honestly a lot nicer than I thought they'd be. It's still a "Jeep", and the inside of the hard top is white, which bugs the hell out of me. But the ride was surprisingly smooth, and the dash really isn't too bad at all.

It is on really small dorky stock tires though lol.

Just put a deposit on a 2013 Sport with auto, A/C (how is this not standard?), hard top, connectivity group (bluetooth/satellite radio and schtuff). Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up Thursday.

I really wanted a Sport S and 3.73 axle ratio but this had MOST of what I wanted, and I didn't have to order it. Plus I got a pretty decent price since it's a 2013. I looked up prices of the Sport S wheels/tires on message boards and they're really cheap, Rubicon wheel/tires are pretty cheap too. People seem to just take them off as soon as they get their new Jeep, so I'll make that my gain. The 3.21 should be good enough for tires that size, if I decide to go big (35's or something) in the future, I figure I'll want 4.10's anyway.

So not EXACTLY what I wanted, but pretty darn close, and cheaper too. This is my first brand new vehicle, so I'm pretty pumped. Thanks everyone for the input!

If you roll 35's you'll need 4.88's. 4.10's are a waste of time in a JK, even with the 3.6 and some bolt ons. A 2.5" kit will clear 35's no problem, with room to articulate.

My mom had a '96? Cherokee sport.

It was a good vehicle, never had any problems out of it.

and I've always liked the CJ's

But that being said, isn't the FRS the RWD Scion budget sports car?

Seems like a pretty legit car, 2.0 Subaru engine, rwd, and it's cheap.

I'd say go for the FRS

B/C if it's hot out the top should be off, otherwise it's just a typical SUV. You don't use A/C with the top off.

This

If you roll 35's you'll need 4.88's. 4.10's are a waste of time in a JK, even with the 3.6 and some bolt ons. A 2.5" kit will clear 35's no problem, with room to articulate.

35's you'll have to remove the front air dam, maybe flat fenders. I had 35's for mine and didn't want to fight with everything to make em fit so i'm dropping back to 33's.

My advice, if you go Rubi take offs, get a whole set with tires and TPMS unless you have a specific tire size or brand in mind. I got a set of the newer Rubi wheels for $200 but finding tires hasn't been very successful. I would have been WAY ahead of the game spending the $600-1000 for a full set with tires and TPMS as opposed to buying everything separately.

This

35's you'll have to remove the front air dam, maybe flat fenders. I had 35's for mine and didn't want to fight with everything to make em fit so i'm dropping back to 33's.

Stock suspension, yes. But for $520, we sell our ProComp 2.5" kits. Don't get any easier than springs, shocks, and dropping the sway bar. If you have the coin, do a Rubicon Express Superflex with Monotubes. Not only is it a short arm kit, but rides way better than a stock JK. I may pick up a commando green Rubi, but I'd probably just lift it and flip it. There's awesome resale value in a modded JK. You could never see tha kind of return in a car. Ever.

This

My advice, if you go Rubi take offs, get a whole set with tires and TPMS unless you have a specific tire size or brand in mind. I got a set of the newer Rubi wheels for $200 but finding tires hasn't been very successful. I would have been WAY ahead of the game spending the $600-1000 for a full set with tires and TPMS as opposed to buying everything separately.

Let me know if you need anything, I work for TransAmerican aka 4 Wheel Parts and 4WD.com. We do about 6-10 JK's a week, on top of fixing 5-7 JK's a week.