My eyes!! Why CR, why?

Mojoe

Joe, I actually like that look. There were two BMW 7 series (of different years) done in chrome wrap at Import Alliance last summer, and they were impressive in person.

Does anyone know how long the wrap lasts? Does it scuff? Can you just take it through a regular car wash? Do you seal it with a finish periodically? If you started with good paint and then applied the wrap, does the wrap over time ruin the paint underneath it?

Joe, I actually like that look. There were two BMW 7 series (of different years) done in chrome wrap at Import Alliance last summer, and they were impressive in person.

Does anyone know how long the wrap lasts? Does it scuff? Can you just take it through a regular car wash? Do you seal it with a finish periodically? If you started with good paint and then applied the wrap, does the wrap over time ruin the paint underneath it?

My understanding, from a good friend of mine in Florida who wraps cars for a living, is that the wrap can last anywhere between 3-7 years depending on the quality of wrap you're purchasing. They can't really guarantee the life span of a wrap because conditions are different for each application. He said they usually last 2-3 years in Florida's sun before they really need to be removed from discoloration. You're not supposed to treat the wrap in any way, with wax or sealants- IIRC, all sealants or waxes should be removed from paint prior to wrapping the vehicle for best surface adhesion. Many people swear it doesn't damage the paint, but often times people will find it pulls clear coat or etches the clear with time.

When I pulled the wrap off my GTI, that had been wrapped for a little over a year in Florida, it pulled off clear in some areas, pulled up paint chips that had been filled, pulled paint in some areas entirely, and was fine in other areas.

Overall, save your money.... huge waste and looks like crap, even when you do use quality wrap.

Well there is a "paint" that is chrome looking and it is no more durable than standard paint in fact if I remember correctly it has a standard clear cot over top of it. Its really a pretty cool process to watch. Here's a website that has some videos of the process.

http://www.sprayonchrome.com/index2.html

Well there is a "paint" that is chrome looking and it is no more durable than standard paint in fact if I remember correctly it has a standard clear cot over top of it. Its really a pretty cool process to watch. Here's a website that has some videos of the process.

http://www.sprayonchrome.com/index2.html

The process is called PVD, the clear sprayed over top is clear powder coating. I had this process done to a set of wheels a few months back, semi inexpensive and is supposed to last quite some time.

you would think that would be illegal

Right? Blinding the shit outta people. Yet, you can't have dim neons on your car or lighted license plate frames, or lighted washer squirters on your hood but that's ok. (Not that I want those things, just saying.)

Chrome is probably the #1 tackiest finish for car parts, let alone your entire car. I thought it was only apes and birds that were attracted to shiny things...I guess some people haven't evolved past that yet.

It's right under gold!