1992 Supra Build

Geeesammy

Not really sure where to start with this, I've been debating on even making a thread on here about it, but figured this would alleviate some questions on it if and when I get it done, and also help me remember when and what I did. I'll likely have way more pictures and videos on here as it may eventually become a copy and paste of my build thread on Supra specific boards.

A little background

I've had this car since I moved here in August of '12, I bought it because I needed something that was a daily, a little fun, and I wanted something RWD and unique. This is what I ended up with. To say the least it hasn't been a good daily, and it wasn't as fun as I imagined it would be. About 3 weeks ago I was driving home from work, the clutch pedal stuck to the floor, and long story short, it needed a few more parts than I was willing to wait on and spend money on.

As I said, not a good daily, this was a monthly occurrence.

http://i.imgur.com/HiW5UQC.jpg

A picture of the engine engine bay, somewhat similar to what it looks like now.

http://i.imgur.com/HKzt1XZ.jpg

What I'm starting with

-1JZGTE

-R154 Transmission (Supposedly built by the Previous owner, I guess what I add on to it later will put it to the test.)

-4.30 LSD Rear end

-Stock Twins, ceramic wheeled so beyond 14-16psi they like to melt or just disintegrate, I've ran them at 18-20psi everyday for a year now.

-Blitz Front mount.

-HKS SSQV BOV

-Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator

-440cc Injectors

-3" exhaust to a Blitz Nur-Spec

Aside from that it's fairly stock aside from a simple 16-point fuel controller and an electronic boost controller.

What I'm aiming to end up with

-62mm .82 A/R Ball Bearing Billet Turbo

-ProEFI 128 or AEM v2. Haven't decided.

-2 Bosch 044's, with one kicking on in boost.

-1200cc injectors

-Brian Crower 264 cams. Allows me to retain stock valvetrain if I so choose.

-3.91 LSD rear end. Maybe a 3.7x rear end. Depends on what I can find easily for a decent price.

-New front mount setup.

-Battery relocation for better charge pipe routing

-Weight reduction here and there. It's one of the lighter Mk3's ever made weighing 3580 without me in it, and a half tank of gas.

-Coilovers

-Random bushings and parts that need replaced as I see fit.

As far as the ProEFI and AEM v2 debate, it would make more sense for me to run ProEFI. I'm not going into details on that. Not to mention with the ProEFI 128 unit I will be able to run sequential ignition and fuel injection where the AEM unit will only allow me to run batch fire. This isn't a huge difference but it opens up the ability to run something like an LS1 coil a little easier on down the road since they do not use an ignitor like a JZ engine does stock. That adds up to less wiring, and less headache troubleshooting if something does go wrong. New ignitors alone are a few hundred dollars, plus some waiting on parts. A LQ style or LS style is in stock locally at parts stores.

I'll start tearing it down and put some pictures up of some stuff.

Edited by Geeesammy

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure someone makes ls motor mount for these ;)

I honestly really considered it for this. I talked to Jonah who has the LSx Mk3 but after discussing all the work involved, I didn't like it. Not to mention the transmission sits halfway into the passenger side floorboard. I'm almost too tall for this car as it is. Let alone with a larger transmission in it :dumb:

"1jz no shit. I retract my previous statement."

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I don't know which is worse... the movie quote or the fact that I immediately got it.

"This will decimate all, after, you put about fifteen grand in it or more. If we have to, overnight parts from Japan"...

Good one!

Pavo

I've gotta thank two people so far for putting up with my "noobness." I've had a lot of questions over the last week and both have been quick to respond, not to mention their build threads are VERY useful. Dustin and Albert have been a great resource so far, only one is a member here, but figured I'd give some credit where it is due.

Well so far I've decided to make my own harness and stick with ProEFI 128 and run a 1ZZ coil setup. Making my own harness may seem a bit overboard, but it will clean the bay up a LOT as the factory loom runs around the back-top-side of the engine and looks hideous in my opinion. I'm going to steal him and a friend of his idea and drill a hole on the trans tunnel/firewall bend to run the harness through. This may seem like a bad spot, but I've recently learned of a "TEFZEL" wire that is Mil-spec and is very resilient to burning/corroding, etc.

I've also talked to a few people about getting the head ported, my valve stem seals are definitely on their way out, so I may end up pulling the head to do those. I figured I might as well make the trouble worth it if I pull the head. At a minimum I'm going to have the head slightly decked and throw on a new head gasket and hardware to ease my worries of blowing a head gasket at high boost. I feel like a 7M owner now :dumb:.

This is his engine bay on his 2JZ, he recently joined CR and I stole this picture from his signature on SupraMania, although I'm sure he wouldn't mind sharing it. Shows how much of the bay is cleaned up without running the harness across the bay. I'm also debating deleting my ABS module like he did. Seems like more work than I want to do, which is ironic since this build is going to be a lot of work..

http://i.imgur.com/jMfvLQp.jpg

Also gonna end up replacing the leaky P/S pump and possibly doing the rack and pinion as well as looking into putting Air Conditioning back in it. Seem's a little backwards but it's always nice to have A/C since I plan on driving this a lot once it is done.

I normally hate being "all talk" but work and school have me tied up big time right now :fuuuu:, so no progression photo's will arrive until I get done with this semester and get a month or so off. I've almost got all the funds together to pay for my turbo, so getting that in will provide another big post filled with pictures and other fun specs to add in. Here's a little teaser photo of what it will look like...

http://i.imgur.com/p6PMfa9.jpg

Edited by Geeesammy

Hey quit stealing my pics creeper haha. The 1zz COP are 4 wire we will only use 3 as the 4th is a miss fire return. For some reason I cant see the pics that you added on the mobile tapatalk of my car and the turbo so here they are again.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/gurley0916/photobucket-4607-1345590763042.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/15/ty6eqa5e.jpg

Didnt make much progress this weekend. Have to remove the intake manifold which is a two piece design. Lost motivation on the second bolt.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/18/2e3y5a8u.jpg

Also had a lot of blow-by from the pcv system. Factory IAT sensor.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/18/epy8urab.jpg

• 1 month later...
Haven't updated this in forever. I got an offer on the car for how it sat, that made me really think about selling it, for 3-4 weeks me and the potential buyer went back and forth about a price, when he the money would be available, etc. Typical selling issues, so I didn't do any progress on it, and had in my mind I would sell it. After not driving this thing for 2 months or so, I realized I actually kind of miss it, and now that I have a daily I think it would make a cool toy on the weekend. I really don't want to go the ProEFI route just yet, I'm still going to go single, but haven't decided on an ECU. I've thought about putting a MapECU in it, and run a 67mm turbo which could still put me well into the 400hp range, which would be fun for the amount of cash I have into it. I'd have to go up to 550cc injectors, and get a Bosch 044 or two, but it would be running by summer which would be fun. Then I could get a few smaller things done to it and enjoy it.

if you want a pro efi plug kit to build your own harness, let me know. I have a spare sitting in storage. New as it came from pro-efi.

I have a ton of 2j/supra parts for sale, but none really look like they are suited for your build. 80mm turbo, hks v160 clutch, 6 speed rear end with kaaz diff, etc.

Goodluck with the build