• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

So long winded response

Got everything wrapped up minus the minor stuff

Brakes

Got a wilwood adjustable proportioning valve installed, I went to bleed the brakes only to get to the end a the LF to realize I was dripping some serious brake fluid, after some brief panic of realizing it covered my freshly painted bay in brake fluid I determined that the leaky fitting was a result of improper packaging at JEG's. The proportioning valve uses 5/16-24 (IIRC) and the fitting on said leaky fitting was what seemed to be a m10x1.0. Close enough to feel okay, but not work. When I put it in it seemed like it didn't want to snug properly, but I didn't want to push it and strip the threads. Anyways after a pissed few moments I drove 1.5 hour to Jeg's and bought a new one and didn't raise hell about the old one since I wasn't sure at the time if it was my mistake or theirs. Turns out I had my receipts and it wasn't me, awaiting their response to my request for a refund on that.

Fuel System

I am running a single 044 in tank, -10 feed splitting to 2 -08's, one feeding each side of the rail, and then a single -06 return. I got it all plumbed in which was joyous as it was my first experience using AN hoses and I chose not to buy the "right" tools and put most of it together with what most people would consider shadetree methods. Honey Badger.

Once it was all ran I just jumped the relay to get constant on to leak test the system. All was well until about 3 minutes in, I noticed a super slow leak from the filter housing. No big deal, tapered NPT threads so likely not enough teflon tape or I didn't eat my wheaties.

I laid down on the ground to peek closer at the filter leak and I quickly heard what I presumed to be Niagra Falls coming from the tank, I took a quick look back...

giphy.gif

I knew this pump moved some fuel but jeeeeebus. I wasn't expecting to see a gallon on the ground already. I sprung into action to promptly hit my head on the floorboard and ran to rip the pump wiring apart. I dropped the tank and realized somehow an adapter fitting wasn't tight that I remembered telling myself to tighten back in like 2014.

Resolved those issues and no leaks now (or ever I hope)

ECU

So when I bought my ProEFI I got it used on eBay and had no real proof it was a working unit at the time of purchase. I didn't really check to see if it worked until Saturday (well over a year past the time I could have filed a PayPal claim) and fortunately it worked after having to go through 3 different versions of firmware/flashing. I initially tried to connect in "Online" mode which basically just allows you to read the ECU as it sits just to make sure it gets power, and when I did that I got nothing but "Please make sure ECU is turned on" which made me instantly think it was a junk box since I got a smoking deal (at the time). So after admitting defeat and more importantly admitting I had not a fucking clue what I was doing with anything that isn't OBD2 related I drove to Columbus again to abuse a friends knowledge and kindness to plug my box into his known good harness. He put his ProEFI experience to use and got mine loaded up with a "good" base tune. Back to Dayton again.

Wiring

I got my engine harness second hand off of another friend on the west coast who had an 88 as well and ran the same ECU. Only issues I had were me switching to GM IAT and CLT sensors for more refined measurements since the stock JZ sensors suck, after all they are mostly older than me. It was basically plug and play minus a few connectors being replaced and a few small touch ups and adding powers to injector and coil relays and wiring in my own fuel pump. After a few hiccups mainly due to my rushing and misunderstanding of how the wiring needed to be done I got it all sorted and working right.

Finally I thought "This is the big moment, I can't wait to hear these rods knock or see oil shoot out of the turbo feed hose and douse my bay in fluids!!"

Quite the contrary. I spent the next 5 hours with a friend remoted into my ecu nearly maxing out the injectors to try and get any fuel. Couldn't get any. We check over the settings "Oh oops, you have low impedance and it was set to high, lol lets try again"

Nothing.

Another hour passes of trying dumb stuff and sweating my man boobs off. I began to backtrack...remember the "minus a few connectors being replaced" yeah, my dumbass still had power going to the injectors and hit 12V to ground and popped the fuse I added in.

giphy.gif

Threw a new 20amp fuse in, got a backfire out the intake, revs shot to 4,000 rpm and then it shut down.

Swapped two injector plugs around since 4 are the same length and got it to do what was in the video above. Today I will verify injector and coil wiring and do my best not to short anything or fry my ecu, but I'm sure something stupid will happen since I'll likely be drunk by noon.

Edited by Geeesammy

good for you. I honestly figured you sold the car already.

Got close a few times. I moved, lost a few months due to that and have been busy with work and the car is an hour from my house right now but I set a goal of making the fall IFO with it and if i didn't it would go so im giving it my best shot.

I swapped #3 and #4 coil connectors since they were backwards and it ran better. Tune is way off and i need to get my accessory drive hooked up so i can tinker with timing and try to get even a somewhat steady idle. Got my alternator hooked up so all im waiting on is just the power steering fittings and hose and ill be ready to rock.

• 3 weeks later...

So busy last few weeks.

Got the FMIC built. Kind of was a pain since I have never done any fab work in my life, but got it done. Idle is a lot better now and seeing -6 to -8psi at idle which is nice. Got some more idle tuning done on it but was unfortunately unable to take it on the street to get cruising and light boost tuning done since the wastegate dump tube hasn't come in yet and I had no bov on.

This week I'm getting the blow off valve flange welded on and should be ready to rock once I do an alignment and give it a thorough once over.

Sorry for shitty camera quality but shows the intercooler setup and a little bit of idle response. It shoots dumb lean when first giving throttle, saw afr's shoot to 19-21:1 so I need to figure that out. It lags in responsiveness with a sudden or slow idle response so I'm sure an area of the VE table just needs increased.

Sounds good.

Put an E fan on that sucker! or, at minimum the shroud back on

Shroud will go back on soon. I cut up that fan for clearance on the last setup so it needs replaced. After that ill grab or make a shroud. I really want to add a second fan that kicks on when the ecu sees no wheel speed if that can be arranged

• 4 weeks later...

So it finally drives. I bricked the ECU a month ago so I lost 3 full weeks waiting on that. It still needs a lot, namely new rear control arms and a lot of little stuff plus the interior put back in. I'd LOVE to get a badass set of race seats in it, or at least pick up a cheap used drivers seat so I can have a little more room in it.

Some vids for viewing pleasure

It has a clogged fuel filter or pump sock...or both. I'm switching to a bigger in tank pump so Ill just order 3 or 4 more filters to leave on the shelf. Base fuel pressure is set to 41psi, I see 27ish when barely getting into throttle and not even hitting atmospheric pressure. I drove it to another location today and really learned how much ProEFI can save your ass. I was seeing below 20psi fuel pressure while cruising and it was doing all it could on a shitty base map with a pretty rough VE table to keep itself running. Only time I rolled into it I managed to keep a decent AFR with 1-2psi boost before it gave up due to fuel pressure being at 12psi lol.

Anyways, it's at a shop currently for exhaust work and some misc. other stuff I just realistically don't have the time or energy for right now with sidework and other commitments on my table. I'd love to get it out to the track day even just to log a few pulls.

• 3 months later...
Pretty sure I remember Grant throwing challenges Miller's way...

Well it's still against the rules in a for sale thread. Wasn't doing anything here unless Grant complains.

Besides this is how you respond to challenges? Race or don't, CR winter setting in.

Pretty sure I remember Grant throwing challenges Miller's way...

Well it's still against the rules in a for sale thread. Wasn't doing anything here unless Grant complains.

Besides this is how you respond to challenges? Race or don't, CR winter setting in.

I've asked him to race no less than 3 times. He won't respond to the offers I've given. Literally have offered to drive to him, whatever race he wants. Nothing.

I wasnt justifying shitting in the for-sale thread; I appreciate the time-consuming MS Paint artwork above.

I read you challenging him to a race, but you’re getting rid of your car. Interesting situation.

I mean it still runs and drives.

It would be a great selling point as well.

"Puts 5 bus lengths on rebuilt titled Vipers at 1/4 the cost!"

Uhh yea. 100%. I'm done with cars I've been doing it as a hobby and for a living the last 5 years and im sick of everything relating to them. The lines between work and fun are blurred and even just looking at this thing gets me in a shitty mood. I'm not going to dump another $7k+ into it getting it to where I want it to be and likely still not enjoy it.

Not to mention im looking to build a house and make a career move shortly after that. I literally dont know how else to say how little interest I have in this or any other car now.

I have to give you credit for knowing what your interest are. I wish I would have dedicated to mine earlier. One thing that I should have considered more, is whether the house investment of a larger space was worth the additional cost.